Finite fields, irreducible polynomial and minimal polynomial theorem

In summary, this conversation is about a theorem that states if a matrix is irreducible, then a finite field exists that is isomorphic to said matrix. The example given is of a matrix that is irreducible and its minimal polynomial is x^2 + 1. This matrix has a finite field extension that is isomorphic to the real numbers.
Karl Karlsson
I thought i understood the theorem below:

i) If A is a matrix in ##M_n(k)## and the minimal polynomial of A is irreducible, then ##K = \{p(A): p (x) \in k [x]\}## is a finite field

Then this example came up:

The polynomial ##q(x) = x^2 + 1## is irreducible over the real numbers and the matrix $$J=
\begin{pmatrix}
0 & -1 \\
1 & 0
\end{pmatrix}$$
has ##q(x)## as minimal polynomial. $$K=\{p(J):p(x)\in \mathbb{R}[x]\}=\{aI+bJ:a,b\in \mathbb{R}\}$$
is a finite field that is isomorphic to ##\mathbb{C}##.

Why can't the finite field K above not be for example ##\{aI+bJ^2+cJ^3:a,b,c\in \mathbb{R}\}##, since k[x] in the theorem i) is ##\mathbb{R}[x]## ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Karl Karlsson said:
I thought i understood the theorem below:

i) If A is a matrix in ##M_n(k)## and the minimal polynomial of A is irreducible, then ##K = \{p(A): p (x) \in k [x]\}## is a finite field
Could it be that there is plenty of information missing? The minimal polynomial of ##I\in M_2(\mathbb{R})## is ##m_I(x)=x-1## which is certainly irreducible. But ##K=\{p(I): p(x) \in \mathbb{R}[x]\}=\{\operatorname{diag}(r)\,|\,r\in \mathbb{R}\}=\mathbb{R}## which is definitely not finite.

You probably mean finite extention, not finite field. Also since A is a zero of its minial polynomial, you only need the values of polynomials mod the minimal one. In your example all powers bigger than one can be exressed by smaller ones using the minimal polynomial.

Since ##J^2=-I## and ##J^3=-J##, we have ##aI+bJ^2+cJ^3=(a-b)I-cJ,## so you're describing the same set.

Likes Klystron
Infrared said:
Since ##J^2=-I## and ##J^3=-J##, we have ##aI+bJ^2+cJ^3=(a-b)I-cJ,## so you're describing the same set.
Oh, right... I did not think that ##J^n## would be some multiple of either I or ##J## now I see that this is the case. But in the theorem:

i) If A is a matrix in ##M_n(k)## and the minimal polynomial of A is irreducible, then ##K = \{p(A): p (x) \in k [x]\}## is a finite field.

Does ##p(x)## in the set ##\{p(A): p (x) \in k[x]\}## mean every single combination of polynomials in ##k[x]## ? For example if k was ##\mathbb{R}## would that mean that the set ##\{p(A): p (x) \in k[x]\}## would be ##\sum_{k=0}^n a_k\cdot A^k## for every ##n \in\mathbb{N}## and every ##a_k\in\mathbb{R}## ?

Karl Karlsson said:
Oh, right... I did not think that ##J^n## would be some multiple of either I or ##J## now I see that this is the case. But in the theorem:

i) If A is a matrix in ##M_n(k)## and the minimal polynomial of A is irreducible, then ##K = \{p(A): p (x) \in k [x]\}## is a finite field.

Does ##p(x)## in the set ##\{p(A): p (x) \in k[x]\}## mean every single combination of polynomials in ##k[x]## ? For example if k was ##\mathbb{R}## would that mean that the set ##\{p(A): p (x) \in k[x]\}## would be ##\sum_{k=0}^n a_k\cdot A^k## for every ##n \in\mathbb{N}## and every ##a_k\in\mathbb{R}## ?
Finite Field extension, not a finite field. Yes, it means values of all polynomials, when evaluated at the given matrix A. But the same argument shows, that you need the combinations of monomials of degree up to the degree of the min polynimial of A.

martinbn said:
Finite Field extension, not a finite field. Yes, it means values of all polynomials, when evaluated at the given matrix A. But the same argument shows, that you need the combinations of monomials of degree up to the degree of the min polynimial of A.
Thanks for explaining!

1. What is a finite field?

A finite field is a mathematical structure that consists of a finite set of elements and two operations, addition and multiplication. The set of elements in a finite field is usually denoted by F and the size of the field is denoted by q, where q is a prime number. Examples of finite fields include the integers modulo a prime number, and the finite field with 2 elements (also known as the binary field).

2. What is an irreducible polynomial?

An irreducible polynomial is a polynomial that cannot be factored into polynomials of lower degree with coefficients in the same field. In other words, an irreducible polynomial is a polynomial that cannot be broken down into simpler factors. In finite fields, irreducible polynomials play an important role in constructing field extensions and in coding theory.

3. What is the minimal polynomial theorem?

The minimal polynomial theorem states that every element in a finite field F is a root of a unique monic irreducible polynomial of degree n, where n is the degree of the field extension of F. This theorem is important in determining the structure of finite fields and in constructing field extensions.

4. How are finite fields used in cryptography?

Finite fields are used in cryptography to provide a mathematical foundation for secure communication and data encryption. They are used in algorithms such as the RSA algorithm and the elliptic curve cryptography algorithm, which are used to encrypt and decrypt messages and data.

5. How are finite fields related to coding theory?

In coding theory, finite fields are used to construct error-correcting codes that can detect and correct errors in data transmission. The properties of finite fields, such as their size and the irreducible polynomials, are crucial in designing these codes and ensuring their effectiveness in error correction.