when a protostar stops contraction

by shirin
Tags: contraction, protostar, stops
shirin
Jun30-11, 01:49 AM
P: 33
It is written that when the gas of the protostar is completely ionized, it stops contraction and it gets into hydrostatic equilibrium. I don't understand why?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Lemurs match scent of a friend to sound of her voice
Repeated self-healing now possible in composite materials
'Heartbleed' fix may slow Web performance
ibysaiyan
Jun30-11, 05:55 PM
P: 437
It doesn't as far as my knowledge on stellar evolution goes.When the star reaches "main sequence" stage and produces enough outward radiation pressure through nuclear fusion to counter inward pull of gravity,it's at this stage when hydrostatic equilibrium is achieved.
P.S: does it mention that the star is shrinking ? or just attains equilibrium ? I think ions as the no. of ions increases they tend to absorb heat than radiating away.That might be the reason?

-ibysaiyan
qraal
Jul1-11, 05:55 PM
P: 774
Quote Quote by shirin View Post
It is written that when the gas of the protostar is completely ionized, it stops contraction and it gets into hydrostatic equilibrium. I don't understand why?
Ionization means the object is no longer transparent to heat/light and so the rate of contraction slows down to match the loss of heat via radiation from the object's photosphere. It can only contract if it can lose heat, else it remains inflated. Fusion energy provides a source of internal heat, keeping stars puffed up else they'd contract to white dwarf size via gravitational collapse because their cores are degenerate matter.

shirin
Jul2-11, 01:58 AM
P: 33

when a protostar stops contraction

why the ionization means the object is no longer transparent to heat/light? I can understand it for nuclea but what about free electrons? what has happened to them by now? because they can tranfer heat/light!

Register to reply