I once came across a Wikipedia page describing a system where

In summary, the conversation discusses a system that always reaches the same equilibrium position regardless of its initial starting position. It is referred to as an attractor or a potential minimum and may require some damping to avoid oscillatory motion. There is also a Wikipedia page with an animation demonstrating this concept.
Apteronotus
I once came across a Wikipedia page describing a system where indifferent of the initial starting position, at some final time t=T the system would always reach the same equilibrium position.

Does anyone know what the name of such a system is?

I recall there was an animation of 4 balls each starting at different heights on the same ramp at t=0 and at t=T the balls were always at the same height on the ramp.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Apteronotus! :smile:

I think that's an attractor …

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attractor" :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

It would have to be an attractor with some kind of damping, otherwise you would get oscillatory motion around the equilibrium point. You could also call it a potential minimum

What is the purpose of the system described on the Wikipedia page?

The purpose of the system is to provide a comprehensive overview and understanding of the topic it is discussing.

What type of information can be found on the Wikipedia page about the system?

The Wikipedia page may contain information such as the history of the system, its components and functions, and any relevant research or developments associated with it.

Who can edit or contribute to the Wikipedia page about the system?

Anyone with a Wikipedia account can edit or contribute to the page. However, it is recommended to have knowledge and reliable sources about the subject before making any changes.

Is the information on the Wikipedia page about the system accurate and reliable?

Wikipedia pages are constantly monitored and edited by volunteers to ensure accuracy and reliability. However, it is always recommended to cross-check information with other sources.

Can the Wikipedia page be used as a credible source for research on the system?

While Wikipedia can be a useful starting point for research, it is not considered a credible source in academic or scientific settings. It is best to use the references and sources cited on the Wikipedia page for further research.