What does a nuclear meltdown look like?

by FishmanGeertz
Tags: meltdown, nuclear
Borek
Jul5-11, 05:56 AM
Admin
P: 22,650
The way it is worded now is OK to me. "Died of radiation" implied radiation sickness, and was misleading.

This is not to downplay the problem, just to clarify the situation.
QuantumPion
Jul6-11, 08:26 AM
P: 731
Quote Quote by swl View Post
Sorry I used the wrong language again. I edited the post. Please let me know if other changes are required.

I suggest that they died of radiation because, I believe radiation is the root cause that forced their evacuation. Please let me know if I'm mistaken.

It is my understanding that neither TEPCO, nor that government have acknowledged any deaths due to radiation sickness.
If you want to play that game than the root cause of the evacuation was the earthquake and tsunami.
Caniche
Jul6-11, 03:59 PM
P: 106
Quote Quote by QuantumPion View Post
If you want to play that game than the root cause of the evacuation was the earthquake and tsunami.
I think he's talking about folks who died as a direct result of the radiation contamination. Don't think he's "playing a game"more like alluding to the fact that carers fled days after the tsunami cos they were quite attached to their existing genetic configuration
swl
Jul6-11, 04:28 PM
P: 108
Quote Quote by QuantumPion View Post
I understand your interesting point, and of course I am aware of the position of the earthquake in the chain of events. As I'm sure you understand, an earthquake is not an event that the nuclear industry has any control over. As such, the earthquake can not be the root cause. If you like, I suppose you could push the cause back to defects in the design or construction of the plant, or maybe the decision to utilize nuclear power.

I suppose I should have avoided the term 'root cause' so as to reduce obfuscation.

Register to reply