Register to reply

Determining Weight Functions

by id the sloth
Tags: determining, functions, weight
Share this thread:
id the sloth
Jul11-11, 11:20 PM
P: 68
I've read a few books on solving differential equations and they all talk about inner products with respect to weight functions. The examples always read something like that "Using the weight function w(x) = blah blah show that the solutions of the differential equations are orthogonal"

We're always given the weight function. I was wondering if there was a general method to finding the weight function?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
An interesting glimpse into how future state-of-the-art electronics might work
Tissue regeneration using anti-inflammatory nanomolecules
C2D2 fighting corrosion
Akater
Jul13-11, 06:54 PM
P: 6
Yes, there are ways to determine weight. For example, Vilenkin does that a couple of times in his Special functions and the theory of group representations.
LCKurtz
Jul14-11, 11:38 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 7,632
Quote Quote by id the sloth View Post
I've read a few books on solving differential equations and they all talk about inner products with respect to weight functions. The examples always read something like that "Using the weight function w(x) = blah blah show that the solutions of the differential equations are orthogonal"

We're always given the weight function. I was wondering if there was a general method to finding the weight function?
Many of the common orthogonal families of functions are solutions to Sturm-Liouville boundary value problems. These are eigenvalue problems with associated boundary conditions, and orthogonality is a general property of the eigenfunctions. The weight function is one of the coefficients in the differential equation. That's where it comes from. You can read about it at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturm%E...ouville_theory

Register to reply