Register to reply

Determining Weight Functions

by id the sloth
Tags: determining, functions, weight
Share this thread:
id the sloth
Jul11-11, 11:20 PM
P: 68
I've read a few books on solving differential equations and they all talk about inner products with respect to weight functions. The examples always read something like that "Using the weight function w(x) = blah blah show that the solutions of the differential equations are orthogonal"

We're always given the weight function. I was wondering if there was a general method to finding the weight function?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
Akater
Jul13-11, 06:54 PM
P: 6
Yes, there are ways to determine weight. For example, Vilenkin does that a couple of times in his Special functions and the theory of group representations.
LCKurtz
Jul14-11, 11:38 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 7,575
Quote Quote by id the sloth View Post
I've read a few books on solving differential equations and they all talk about inner products with respect to weight functions. The examples always read something like that "Using the weight function w(x) = blah blah show that the solutions of the differential equations are orthogonal"

We're always given the weight function. I was wondering if there was a general method to finding the weight function?
Many of the common orthogonal families of functions are solutions to Sturm-Liouville boundary value problems. These are eigenvalue problems with associated boundary conditions, and orthogonality is a general property of the eigenfunctions. The weight function is one of the coefficients in the differential equation. That's where it comes from. You can read about it at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturm%E...ouville_theory

Register to reply