Verifying properties of Green's function

psie
TL;DR Summary
I want to verify properties of the Green's function and its derivatives, such as continuity, discontinuity and being a solution to a linear homogeneous ODE.
I'm reading about fundamental solutions to differential operators in Ordinary Differential Equations by Andersson and Böiers. There is a remark that succeeds a theorem that I struggle with verifying. First, the theorem:

Theorem 6. Let $$L(t,\lambda)=\lambda^n+a_{n-1}(t)\lambda^{n-1}+\ldots+a_1(t)\lambda+a_0(t)\quad\text{and }D=\frac{d}{dt}.\tag1$$
Denote by ##E(t,\tau)## the uniquely determined solution ##u(t)## of the initial value problem
\begin{align}
&L(t,D)u=0 \tag2\\
&u(\tau)=u'(\tau)=\ldots=u^{(n-2)}(\tau)=0,\quad u^{(n-1)}(\tau)=1. \tag3
\end{align}
Then,
$$y(t)=\int_{t_0}^t E(t,\tau)g(\tau)d\tau\tag4$$
is the solution of the problem
\begin{align}
&L(t,D)y=g(t) \tag5\\
&y(t_0)=y'(t_0)=\ldots=y^{(n-1)}(t_0)=0. \tag6
\end{align}

If the leading coefficient in ##(1)## is not ##1## but ##a_n(t)##, then the last condition in ##(3)## reads ##u^{(n-1)}(\tau)=1/a_n(\tau)## and ##(4)## changes to $$y(t)=\int_{t_0}^t E(t,\tau)\frac{g(\tau)}{a_n(\tau)}d\tau.\tag7$$ Put ##\overline{E}(t,\tau)=\frac{E(t,\tau)}{a_n(\tau)}## and define $$F(t,\tau)=\begin{cases} \overline{E}(t,\tau) &\text{when } t\geq\tau \\ 0 &\text{when } t<\tau.\end{cases}\tag8$$ then ##F(t,\tau)## satisfies the following properties:

1. ##\frac{d^kF}{dt^k}(t,\tau)## is a continuous function of ##(t,\tau)## when ##k=0,1,\ldots,n-2.##
  2. ##\frac{d^{n-1}F}{dt^{n-1}}(t,\tau)## is continuous when ##t\neq\tau##, and has a step discontinuity of height ##1/a_n(\tau)## across the line ##t=\tau##.
  3. ##L(t,D)F(t,\tau)=0,\quad t\neq \tau##.

The authors note that this is easily verified by noting that ##E(t,\tau)## solves the IVP ##(2)## and ##(3)##, yet I have hard time verifying this to myself.

First of all, I'm confused about them writing ##\frac{d^k}{dt^k}## instead of ##\frac{\partial^k}{\partial t^k}##. Is this because we view the function as a function of ##t## only? If so, then 1. makes very little sense to me. How can the ##k##th derivative (##0\le k\le n-2##) of ##F## with respect to ##t## be continuous?

Second, I do not see how either 2. or 3. follows from the fact ##E(t,\tau)## solves ##(1)## and ##(2)##. I'd be very grateful if someone could share their understanding on the matter.

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]\tau[/itex] is regarded as a parameter of the IVP (2,3), so [itex]d/dt[/itex] here means [itex]\partial/\partial t[/itex].

We know that both [itex]\bar{E}[/itex] and 0 are [itex]n - 1[/itex] times differentiable with respect to [itex]t[/itex]: 0 trivially, and [itex]\bar E[/itex] because it is the solution of the IVP (2,3), so its first [itex]n - 1[/itex] derivatives with respect to [itex]t[/itex] exist and are continuous in [itex]t[/itex]. Continuity of [itex]\bar E[/itex] and its [itex]t[/itex]-derivatives in [itex](t,\tau)[/itex] jointly follows from the fact that if you write [tex]\bar E(t,\tau) = A_1(\tau)u_1(t) + \dots + A_n(\tau)u_n(t)[/tex] for [itex]n[/itex] linearly independent solutions [itex]u_k[/itex] of (2), then the [itex]A_k[/itex] can be shown to be continuous in [itex]\tau[/itex].

[itex]F[/itex] is defined as either [itex]\bar E[/itex] or zero so [itex]F[/itex] and its first [itex]n - 1[/itex] derivatives with respect to [itex]t[/itex] can fail to be continuous in [itex](t,\tau)[/itex] only at the boundary of the regions where those definitions are applied, ie. when [itex]t = \tau[/itex]. By construction [tex]
\frac{\partial^k F}{\partial t^k}(\tau,\tau) = \begin{cases} 0 & k = 0, \dots, n-2 \\
1/a_n(\tau) & k = n - 1. \end{cases}[/tex] but [tex]
\lim_{t \to \tau^{-}} \frac{\partial^k F}{\partial t^k}(t,\tau) = 0.[/tex]

Likes psie

1. What is the purpose of verifying properties of Green's function?

The purpose of verifying properties of Green's function is to ensure that the function accurately represents the behavior of a physical system. This is important in scientific research and engineering applications, as the properties of Green's function can have a significant impact on the results and predictions of a system.

2. What are some common properties of Green's function that are verified?

Some common properties of Green's function that are verified include symmetry, boundary conditions, and normalization. These properties are important in accurately representing the behavior of a physical system and can also provide insights into the underlying physics of the system.

3. How are properties of Green's function verified?

Properties of Green's function are typically verified through mathematical analysis and numerical simulations. This involves testing the function against known solutions and comparing the results to ensure that the properties hold true.

4. Why is it important to verify the properties of Green's function?

Verifying the properties of Green's function is important because it ensures the accuracy and reliability of the function. This is crucial in scientific research and engineering applications, where accurate predictions and results are necessary for making informed decisions and advancements.

5. Are there any limitations to verifying properties of Green's function?

Yes, there can be limitations to verifying properties of Green's function. This can include the complexity of the system, as well as the accuracy and reliability of the numerical methods used for verification. Additionally, some properties may be difficult to verify due to the lack of known solutions for comparison.