Dear Windows XP, I hate you

by Pengwuino
Tags: dear, hate, windows
Pengwuino
Jul14-11, 08:06 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,125
Why is it that whenever I change one small piece of hardware in any computer I touch, windows decides "UP YOURS *******, I'M NEVER BOOTING UP AGAIN"!?!??!

I've been told sometimes computers have issues recognizing and working with new hardware. This is RIDICULOUS. And of course, the people whos computers I fix never keep their install discs or really know much about how their own computer is organized, so I can't just be like "well, restore!" or "F this, reformat, re-install". It's always wasting 3 days of my life hoping to get the computer to come back to live like it was before the new hardware.

I hate you bill gates.

End rant

DISCUSS
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Lemurs match scent of a friend to sound of her voice
Repeated self-healing now possible in composite materials
'Heartbleed' fix may slow Web performance
mege
Jul14-11, 08:17 PM
P: 192
Maybe the hardware is at fault, not Windows?
Evo
Jul14-11, 08:21 PM
Mentor
P: 25,911
PEBKAC?

Discuss!!

Sowwy. Just kidding. I run windows and live in absolute fear of installing anything.

micromass
Jul14-11, 08:44 PM
Mentor
P: 16,518

Dear Windows XP, I hate you

Aaaaaah, the joys of computers... We can send people to the moon, but we can't build a computer that doesn't crash occasionally.
Chi Meson
Jul14-11, 08:49 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,772
... blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah my iMac blah blah blah blah ...

fans and haters can add their own words, to taste.

But I must add: Windows Vista has made converts of both my mother AND my Father-in-law (converts to Mac, that is).
rhody
Jul14-11, 09:03 PM
PF Gold
P: 765
Pengy,

I know you don't want to hear this but, I have two words for you, well, one word and one number actually, are you ready, gak... "Windows 7" This is their best OS by far, and you still get to hate Bill Gates, but a lot less, I promise, I have been running it for two years and I am happy. Ok, now, continue to DISCUSS !

Rhody...
Ivan Seeking
Jul14-11, 09:33 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,492
Quote Quote by Chi Meson View Post
... blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah my iMac blah blah blah blah ...

fans and haters can add their own words, to taste.

But I must add: Windows Vista has made converts of both my mother AND my Father-in-law (converts to Mac, that is).
Sure, if it was useful somewhere besides a classroom or working in a vacuum, I'd be interested.
Ivan Seeking
Jul14-11, 09:34 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,492
Quote Quote by Pengwuino View Post
Why is it that whenever I change one small piece of hardware in any computer I touch, windows decides "UP YOURS *******, I'M NEVER BOOTING UP AGAIN"!?!??!

I've been told sometimes computers have issues recognizing and working with new hardware. This is RIDICULOUS. And of course, the people whos computers I fix never keep their install discs or really know much about how their own computer is organized, so I can't just be like "well, restore!" or "F this, reformat, re-install". It's always wasting 3 days of my life hoping to get the computer to come back to live like it was before the new hardware.

I hate you bill gates.

End rant

DISCUSS
Yes, time after time people have slammed my beloved Dell support... but then I never spend three days trying to fix my computer when I add hardware. If I have a problem, which isn't too often, I just call tech support, they logon to my computer, and in no time at all the problem is solved.
russ_watters
Jul14-11, 09:50 PM
Mentor
P: 21,994
Just upgrade to Vista - that'll cure your hatred of xp...
Pythagorean
Jul14-11, 10:29 PM
PF Gold
P: 4,180
you're two version behind; Windows 7 works great for me.
Proton Soup
Jul14-11, 11:01 PM
P: 1,070
i think it was XP that screwed me over when i tried to do a dual boot system on it. so that computer just got paved over with Ubuntu. Ubuntu had it's own headaches, but they have a really good forum community, and for the most part the interface is intuitive because it's very windowsy.
Pengwuino
Jul14-11, 11:16 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by mege View Post
Maybe the hardware is at fault, not Windows?
Naa, it's windows.

Quote Quote by Evo View Post
PEBKAC?

Discuss!!

Sowwy. Just kidding. I run windows and live in absolute fear of installing anything.
RAWR!!!!!!!!!

Quote Quote by rhody View Post
Pengy,

I know you don't want to hear this but, I have two words for you, well, one word and one number actually, are you ready, gak... "Windows 7" This is their best OS by far, and you still get to hate Bill Gates, but a lot less, I promise, I have been running it for two years and I am happy. Ok, now, continue to DISCUSS !

Rhody...
It's not my computer, it's my mothers. This would require coughing up as much money to buy windows 7 as it did to buy the new hardware I installed!

Really, XP is fantastic and does what we all want, it's just hardware. My moms computer is a 5 year old acer and the motherboard went out. This required getting a new mobo, CPU, and RAM. Since it's her business computer, I can't just format it because she has all sorts of programs I'd have to hope to god she still has the install discs for.

All the worst problems about computers happen when they're getting up there in age with owners who..... are also either getting up there in age or are technologically stupid. And it's not even because old things are bad, it's that you just can't find suitable parts readily and people don't keep track of their programs.

OHHH and the most pain in the *** part is when people use poorly designed programs that store their saved files within the program files directory or in some weird location. RAWR.
Dembadon
Jul15-11, 01:01 AM
PF Gold
P: 638
Quote Quote by russ_watters View Post
Just upgrade to Vista - that'll cure your hatred of xp...
I was going to suggest Millenium Edition (Me).
Greg Bernhardt
Jul15-11, 01:04 AM
Admin
P: 8,531
I must be the only person in the world who has never had a significant complaint with Windows. I run Win7 now with no problems. I think it's really good. Maybe i'm just lucky.
Studiot
Jul15-11, 02:52 AM
P: 5,462
If I have a problem, which isn't too often, I just call tech support, they logon to my computer, and in no time at all the problem is solved.
That's a clever trick given the original premise of an unbootable pc, how does it work?

Nor would I recommend rushing to ditch older pcs. A whole new industry has been spawned since the EU directive in 2007 to remove lead from solder.

(Far too) many computers about 2 years old are failing simply because the replacement solder used becomes brittle and fails under prolonged thermal stress.
And guess what? Laptops get hot inside, particularly the GPU since it often has to function without cooling.
Pengwuino
Jul15-11, 02:57 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Studiot View Post
That's a clever trick given the original premise of an unbootable pc, how does it work?

Nor would I recommend rushing to ditch older pcs. A whole new industry has been spawned since the EU directive in 2007 to remove lead from solder.

(Far too) many computers about 2 years old are failing simply because the replacement solder used becomes brittle and fails under prolonged thermal stress.
And guess what? Laptops get hot inside, particularly the GPU since it often has to function without cooling.
So I'm guessing the lead provides some strength in the longterm?

I personally hate how people toss computers so quickly. None of the computers in my home are less than 5 years old and I know people who replace their computers every year because they want the fastest stuff going.
Borg
Jul15-11, 03:13 AM
PF Gold
P: 727
Quote Quote by Greg Bernhardt View Post
I must be the only person in the world who has never had a significant complaint with Windows. I run Win7 now with no problems. I think it's really good. Maybe i'm just lucky.
I had a Windows 7 laptop for about a month last year. At first I hated having to relearn where everything had been moved to. However, it was fast and didn't have problems with programs that would hang the entire system. I eventually began to like it very much but, I ended up sending it back because of other issues. I'll be getting a new one again soon and I'm looking forward to having Windows 7 on it.
rcgldr
Jul15-11, 04:06 AM
HW Helper
P: 6,924
Why is it that whenever I change one small piece of hardware ...
getting a new mobo, CPU, and RAM.
That's not exactly one small piece of hardware you changed. I'm going to assume the new motherboard isn't a duplicate of the old motherboard, which means the chipset and other on board device drivers aren't going to work.

I did a web search for "windows xp replace motherboard" and found this article from Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824125

Look for the section for replacing a failed motherboard. It describe a "repair" installation which should retain your old applications and registry settings, while installing generic drivers. You may need to change the BIOS so that any SATA interfaces use IDE emulation mode.

Also you might consider taking the windows XP install cd-rom to a working computer, and "slip stream" service pack 3 to create a cd-rom with service pack 3. There's some issue with XP original and service pack 1, but I don't recall what the issue was. There are a few web sites that explain how to do this. Here's a link to an Intel article that also covers adding a raid driver when creating a bootable cd-rom:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherb.../CS-029550.htm

Another option is to add a new hard drive to the system, install Windows XP to the new hard drive, but that only gets you access to the data on the old hard drive. Unless the old installed applications don't require any registry settings to run, you'd need to re-install them.

One more annoyance, is you'll probably have to "activate" Windows XP again after you get it installed. Tryign to active online or calling on the phone and using the automated system probably will normally reject the activation after you've keyed in 48 digits, and trying to get past the automated system to a real human without having to key in 48 digits and having it fail can be a pain.

Register to reply