distance not defined in phase spaces?

by wdlang
Tags: defined, distance, phase, spaces
wdlang
Jul31-11, 09:59 PM
P: 304
is it meaningful to define a distance between two points in a phase space?

it is interesting that we can define volume in a phase space but not distance

it seems that it is useless to define the distance between two points as the euclidean distance.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
A 'quantum leap' in encryption technology
Using antineutrinos to monitor nuclear reactors
Bake your own droplet lens
khemist
Aug1-11, 12:32 AM
P: 267
My teacher last semester claimed that a phase space is a convenient way to represent things which are periodic. He emphasized that it is nothing more than a way to visualize this that are happening, such as the lag/ lead of current and voltage.

Now that I think about it, the phase space could be some sort of complex plane, but I am not quite sure. I gather that they deal with rotations more than they deal with length or distance.
vanhees71
Aug1-11, 03:04 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 2,154
The phase space in Hamiltonian mechanics lives on the cotangent bundle of the configuration space. The additional mathematical feature, very important for physics, is not a metric but a symplectic form in terms of Poisson brackets on the space of differentiable functions on phase space. Hamiltonian mechanics is form-invariant under canonical transformations, which are mathematically speaking symplectomorphism, i.e., differentiable one-to-one mappings (diffeomorphisms) which leave the Poisson brackets invariant.

Another important feature is that this structure builds a Lie algebra which at the same time is a derivation algebra and thus gives rise to representations of symmetries, which can be mapped easily to quantum-theoretical models, which provides an important quantization method.

For more information, see the nice wikipedia page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilto...tonian_systems

Register to reply