Register to reply

Is there more than one Crank-Nicolson scheme?

by gjfelix2001
Tags: crank nicolson, diffusion, heat, numerical, pde
Share this thread:
gjfelix2001
Aug7-11, 06:40 PM
P: 19
Hi everybody...

I want to solve the diffusion equation in 1D using the Crank-Nicolson scheme. I have two books about numerical methods, and the problem is that in "Numerical Analysis" from Burden and Faires, the differences equation for the diffusion equations is:

[itex]\frac{w_{i,j+1}-w_{i,j}}{k}-\frac{\alpha^2}{2h^2}\Big[w_{i+1,j}-2w_{i,j}+w_{i-1,j}+w_{i+1,j+1}-2w_{i,j+1}+w_{i-1,j+1}\Big]=0[/itex]

On the other hand, in "Numerical and analytical methods for scientists and engineers using mathematica", the same equation is expressed as:

[itex]\frac{w_{i,j}-w_{i,j-1}}{k}-\frac{\alpha^2}{2h^2}\Big[w_{i+1,j}-2w_{i,j}+w_{i-1,j}+w_{i+1,j-1}-2w_{i,j-1}+w_{i-1,j-1}\Big]=0[/itex]

[itex]i[/itex] represents the space steps, [itex]j[/itex] the time steps, [itex]k[/itex] is [itex]\Delta t [/itex], [itex]h[/itex] is [itex]\Delta x[/itex]

Should this schemes yield the same results? Why the differences?

I mean, in the first term of the first scheme, the numerator is [itex]w_{i,j+1}-w_{i,j}[/itex], but in the second scheme is [itex]w_{i,j}-w_{i,j-1}[/itex].

In addition to this, the last 3 terms of the equations (inside the brackets) are [itex]w_{i+1,j+1}-2w_{i,j+1}+w_{i-1,j+1}[/itex] and [itex]w_{i+1,j-1}-2w_{i,j-1}+w_{i-1,j-1}[/itex].

Are both schemes named Crank-Nicolson?

Can somebody help me with this?? Thanks!!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
AlephZero
Aug7-11, 07:31 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 7,175
It is just a difference in notation.

If you replace j+1 by j and j by j-1 in the first equation, you get the second equation (but with the terms in the [ ] written in a different order).

The method described in the first book is going to solve for the j+1 terms using the j terms. The second book is going to solve for the j terms using the j-1 terms.

Register to reply