The Cooper Problem in tight binding

In summary, we have a one dimensional lattice with lattice constant a and a reciprocal lattice vector k_n = n\frac{2 \pi}{a}. To approximate nearest neighbours, we sum over k = -\frac{2 \pi}{a}, 0, \frac{2 \pi}{a}. The equation to solve for E is 1 = \lambda (|w_{\frac{2 \pi}{a}}|^2 \frac{1}{E-2\xi_{\frac{2 \pi}{a}}} + |w_{0}|^2 \frac{1}{E-2\xi_{0}} + |w_{-\frac{2 \pi}{a}}|^2 \frac{1
mcas
Homework Statement
Find the coupling energy of a Cooper pair in a 1D lattice in tight binding (nearest neighbors), i.e. solve the Cooper Problem.
Relevant Equations
An equation to solve:
[itex]1=\lambda \sum_{\vec{k}} |w_{\vec{k}}|^2 \frac{1}{E-2\xi_{\vec{k}}}[/itex] for [itex]{\xi_\vec{k} \geq 0}[/itex]
where:
[itex]\lambda = const[/itex] is a part of a seperable potential [itex]V_{\vec{k}\vec{k'}}[/itex]
[itex]\xi_{\vec{k}} = \varepsilon_{\vec{k}}-\mu[/itex]
[itex]w_{\vec{k}}[/itex] is [itex]1[/itex] for [itex]\hbar w_D \geq \xi_{\vec{k}} \geq 0[/itex] and [itex]0[/itex] in any other case
We have a one dimensional lattice with a lattice constant equal to [itex]a[/itex] (I'm omitting vector notation because we are in 1D). The reciprocal lattice vector is [itex]k_n=n\frac{2 \pi}{a}[/itex].
So to get the nearest neighbour approximation I need to sum over [itex] k = -\frac{2 \pi}{a}, 0, \frac{2 \pi}{a}[/itex].
If I understand everything correctly this would be the equation I need to solve for [itex]E[/itex]:
[tex]1=\lambda ( |w_{\frac{2 \pi}{a}}|^2 \frac{1}{E-2\xi_{\frac{2 \pi}{a}}} + |w_{0}|^2 \frac{1}{E-2\xi_{0}} + |w_{-\frac{2 \pi}{a}}|^2 \frac{1}{E-2\xi_{-\frac{2 \pi}{a}}})[/tex]

I'm not sure if this is the right approach. If so, would the values of [itex] |w_{i}|[/itex] equal 1 in this equation? Do we know the values of [itex]\xi_{i}[/itex]?

Likes yucheng
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, this is the correct approach. The values of |w_{i}| should equal 1, and the values of \xi_{i} should be given in the problem statement or can be calculated from the corresponding energies.

What is the Cooper Problem in tight binding?

The Cooper Problem in tight binding is a theoretical model used to study the behavior of electrons in a solid material. It focuses on the interaction between electrons and lattice vibrations, known as phonons, and how this interaction can lead to the formation of Cooper pairs, which are responsible for superconductivity.

What is the significance of the Cooper Problem in tight binding?

The Cooper Problem in tight binding is significant because it provides a framework for understanding the phenomenon of superconductivity, which has important technological applications. It also sheds light on the role of electron-phonon interactions in other areas of condensed matter physics.

What are the assumptions made in the Cooper Problem in tight binding?

The Cooper Problem in tight binding makes several simplifying assumptions, including: a discrete lattice structure, a single band of electrons, and a weak electron-electron interaction. These assumptions allow for a more tractable mathematical model, but may not accurately reflect the complexity of real materials.

How is the Cooper Problem in tight binding solved?

The Cooper Problem in tight binding is typically solved using a mean-field approximation, where the electron-phonon interaction is treated as a perturbation on top of the non-interacting electron system. This approach allows for the calculation of the critical temperature at which superconductivity emerges.

What are some open questions and challenges in the study of the Cooper Problem in tight binding?

While the Cooper Problem in tight binding has been successful in explaining many aspects of superconductivity, there are still open questions and challenges that remain. These include understanding the role of disorder and impurities, the effect of multiple bands of electrons, and the behavior of unconventional superconductors. Additionally, there is ongoing research into improving the accuracy of the model and developing new techniques for solving it.