Math prerequistes for pharmacist to understand relativity

• Thread starter VinnyW
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, the individual is a biology/pharmacy major and wants to teach themselves relativity. They have taken advanced math and physics classes before, including calculus 3 and physical chemistry. They are currently reading a book on linear algebra and are looking for a list of books to read in order to understand relativity. It is suggested that having knowledge of calculus 1 and linear algebra should be sufficient for understanding special relativity, while general relativity may require knowledge of differential geometry and advanced linear algebra, which can be learned while studying the physics.
VinnyW
I know someone posted something similar before. However, that person definitely has taken some advanced math classes before.
I am a biology/pharmacy major and I want to teach myself relativity. The most difficult math and physics classes I have taken are calculus 3 and physical chemistry respectively.
I am currently reading "Linear algebra and its applications by David C lay"
Can someone make up a list of books I need to read in order to understand relativity? How long will it take to read and understand all the prerequisites?

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as understanding Special Relativity goes, you should have the necessary math if you've got Calc 1 and Linear Algebra.

For General Relativity, the mathematical language is that of differential geometry and advanced linear algebra (tensor algebra). But I believe the typical student of GR picks up these topics as he studies the physics.

1. What are the basic math prerequisites for a pharmacist to understand relativity?

The basic math prerequisites for understanding relativity include a solid understanding of algebra, calculus, and geometry. These mathematical concepts are essential for understanding the fundamental principles of relativity, such as space-time curvature and the equations of motion.

2. How does understanding relativity benefit a pharmacist?

Understanding relativity can benefit a pharmacist in several ways. It can help them better understand the interactions between medications and patients, as well as the effects of gravity and time dilation on drug distribution and absorption in different parts of the body. It can also aid in the development of more accurate drug delivery systems.

3. Can pharmacists apply relativity in their daily work?

Yes, pharmacists can apply the principles of relativity in their daily work. For example, they can use the concept of time dilation to calculate the duration of drug effects on patients in different gravitational fields. They can also use the equations of motion to predict the trajectory of a drug in the body and determine the most effective dosage and timing for a medication.

4. Is a deep understanding of advanced math necessary for pharmacists to understand relativity?

While a deep understanding of advanced math can certainly help in understanding relativity, it is not necessary for pharmacists to have this level of mathematical knowledge. As long as they have a strong foundation in algebra, calculus, and geometry, they can grasp the basic concepts of relativity and apply them in their work as pharmacists.

5. Are there any resources available to help pharmacists learn about the math prerequisites for understanding relativity?

Yes, there are many resources available to help pharmacists learn about the math prerequisites for understanding relativity. These include online courses, textbooks, and workshops specifically designed for pharmacists. Additionally, there are many resources available for learning about relativity and its applications in other fields, which can also be beneficial for pharmacists.