Navigating Two Math Classes and an Elective Simultaneously

• Courses
  • Thread starter PurpleNurple7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Classes
In summary, taking calculus 3 and ODE together can be difficult, but it is doable. Depending on your major, you may be forced to take these courses together the semester after this one. It is important to take linear algebra before taking ODE, as linear differential equation solutions comprise a vector space.
PurpleNurple7
This semester I am taking calculus 3 and ODE, along with an intermediate CS class and a general elective communications course. I'm wondering how difficult these two will be when taken together. I took Calc 2 the semester prior and got an A, but have never taken 2 math classes simultaneously before.

edit: At my school ODE only has a prerequisite of Calc 2.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
it is doable. ODE is one of the easier math courses, provided that your algebra manipulation and integration is good.

Depending on your major, it is very common to take 3 math courses + an elective, 3 physics classes + elective, etc. You may very well be forced to doing this the semester after this, if you want to graduate in a timely manner.

PurpleNurple7 said:
I...have never taken 2 math classes simultaneously before.
So you haven't done Linear Algebra?

MidgetDwarf said:
ODE is one of the easier math course
Not when I took it. Also, Calc 3 can be either east or hard depending on where the boundary between Calc 2 and Calc 3 is drawn.

I sadly suspect the answer is university dependent and even faculty dependent.,

(And I still have nightmares about tanks of brine)

Likes PhDeezNutz
Vanadium 50 said:
Not when I took it. Also, Calc 3 can be either east or hard depending on where the boundary between Calc 2 and Calc 3 is drawn.

I sadly suspect the answer is university dependent and even faculty dependent.,

(And I still have nightmares about tanks of brine)
you are a bit older than the average poster here who is not staff. so standards where much higher back in your day. I believe you also went to top college. This is not the typical experience for the majority of college students. US intro ode course use something along the lines of Zill, Boyce, or any other run of the mill ode book. Sometimes students get lucky and use Simmons or a similar level book.

As calculus 3 goes, very few schools use Mardsen or Hubbard text. Even fewer use Apostol's or Courant's second volume. Typically, something along the lines of Stewart is used.

Faculty plays a major role in the difficulty of a course, but the level of abstraction of the typical US course is not very high for these two courses. If it was something like an intro LA course, I would definitely agree with you.

Last edited:
I took Differential Equations from a nearby college you never heard of when I was still in high school. My "top school" didn't want to give me credit for it, so I took their final. Cold. And I aced it.

So yes, there is a lot of variation. Differential Equations is very episodic. Depending on what they choose to cover and in what depth, it can be easy or hard.

Your point "maybe things are just different today" can't really be argued against. Maybe yes, maybe no. I certainly don't see any sign of it, and I see a wide variation in math skills of incoming grad students.

Likes PhDeezNutz
I agree. Topic coverage can vary considerably in ODE.

But I think taking linear algebra before ODE is ideal. After all linear differential equation solutions comprise a vector space. And a Wronskian checks for linear independence.

Knowing these notions before hand helps to frame ODEs.

1. How can I effectively manage my time while taking two math classes and an elective?

Managing your time effectively is crucial when taking multiple classes. One strategy is to create a schedule and stick to it. Set aside specific blocks of time for each class and make sure to prioritize your tasks. Additionally, make use of any free time you have, such as breaks between classes, to work on assignments or review material. It may also be helpful to communicate with your teachers and let them know about your schedule so they can provide support and understanding.

2. How can I stay organized with assignments and due dates for multiple classes?

Staying organized is key when taking multiple classes. Utilize a planner or calendar to keep track of assignments and due dates for each class. Write down all tasks and deadlines and make sure to check them off as you complete them. You can also color-code your classes to easily distinguish between them. Additionally, try to stay ahead of your assignments and don't wait until the last minute to complete them.

3. What are some effective study strategies for balancing multiple classes?

Some effective study strategies for balancing multiple classes include creating a study schedule, breaking down material into smaller chunks, and using active learning techniques such as practice problems and flashcards. It may also be helpful to study with a group or seek help from a tutor if needed. Remember to also take breaks and prioritize self-care to avoid burnout.

4. How can I ensure I am understanding and retaining the material in all of my classes?

To ensure you are understanding and retaining the material in all of your classes, it is important to actively engage with the material. This can include taking thorough notes, asking questions in class, and participating in class discussions. It may also be helpful to review material regularly and seek help from your teachers or peers if needed. Additionally, finding ways to connect the material to real-life examples can aid in understanding and retention.

5. What should I do if I am feeling overwhelmed with my workload?

If you are feeling overwhelmed with your workload, it is important to reach out for help. Talk to your teachers, parents, or a school counselor about your concerns. They may be able to provide support and offer strategies for managing your workload. It is also important to prioritize self-care and take breaks when needed. Remember to communicate with your teachers if you are struggling and ask for extensions or extra help if necessary.