Time-like Intervals and Causality

by *FaerieLight*
Tags: causality, intervals, timelike
*FaerieLight*
Aug27-11, 12:17 AM
P: 43
Hi
If two events are separated by a time-like interval, then all inertial reference frames will agree on the order of the two events. For example, if event A occurred before event B in one inertial reference frame, then event A occurred before event B in all inertial reference frames.
The invariant interval, given by I = -(c[itex]\Delta[/itex]t)2+([itex]\Delta[/itex]x)2+([itex]\Delta[/itex]y)2+([itex]\Delta[/itex]z)2, for two events separated by a time-like interval is always less than 0.
My question is, for two events that are causally connected, can the invariant interval be less than or equal to 0? Or does I have to be strictly less than 0 for such events?
I'm not sure because as far as I'm aware, there can only be a causal connection between two events if it is possible for a signal to travel between the two events, so that means that two events can be causally connected if they are separated by a light-like interval too, ie, I = 0. But if this is the case, then in the reference frame of the light, doesn't event A and event B occur at the same time then, in which case there isn't any causal connection between event A and event B?
Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
PeterDonis
Aug27-11, 12:58 AM
Physics
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,517
Quote Quote by *FaerieLight* View Post
I'm not sure because as far as I'm aware, there can only be a causal connection between two events if it is possible for a signal to travel between the two events, so that means that two events can be causally connected if they are separated by a light-like interval too, ie, I = 0.
Yes, this is correct. Light is a causal influence.

Quote Quote by *FaerieLight* View Post
But if this is the case, then in the reference frame of the light, doesn't event A and event B occur at the same time then, in which case there isn't any causal connection between event A and event B?
Thanks
No, this is not correct, because there is no such thing as "the reference frame of the light". There's a FAQ entry on this:

http://physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=511170

Register to reply