Mathematica problem, nontrivial solution for matrix equation Ax=0

by Uncle_John
Tags: equation, mathematica, matrix, nontrivial, solution
Share this thread:
Uncle_John
Sep7-11, 01:34 PM
P: 15
Hey, how can i get a non trivial solution from matrix equation Ax=0

more precisely, i want to calculate eigenvectors : (M- a_1*I)x = 0, i keep getting x=0.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
DaleSpam
Sep7-11, 03:57 PM
Mentor
P: 16,946
Are you sure there is a non-trivial solution?

PS you may want to post here:
http://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=189
HallsofIvy
Sep9-11, 09:29 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,310
The equation Ax= 0 has a non-trivial solution if and only if A is not one-to-one. That is the same as saying that its determant is 0 and that it has 0 as an eigenvalue. The standard way to find an eigenvalue, [itex]\lambda[/itex] for matrix A is to solve the equation [itex]det(A- \lambda I)= 0[/itex]. If A is an n by n matrix, that will be a polynomial equation of degree n and so has n solutions (not necessarily all distinct, not necessarily real).

IF [itex]\lambda[/itex] really is an eigenvalue, then [itex]Ax= \lambda x[/itex] or [itex]
Ax- \lambda x= (A- \lambda I)x= 0[/itex] has, by definition of "eigenvalue", a non-trivial solution. That is, some of the equations you get by looking at individual components will be dependent. Note that x= 0 always will be a solution, just not the only one.

Perhaps if you posted a specific example, we could point out errors. The most obvious one, if you "keep getting x=0", is that what you think is an eigenvalue really isn't!

Register to reply