Check the statements about a 4x5 matrix with rank 2.

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix rank
In summary: But the statements might depend on some extra conditions.Is that what you are thinking about? (Curious)Yes, I see now that the statements are not necessarily true or false, they may depend on the specific conditions of the matrices $A$ and $B$. So, it would be more accurate to say that these statements may be true or false, depending on the specific conditions. Thank you for clarifying that for me. (Grateful)
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Let $A$ be a $4\times 5$ matrix with rank $2$ and let $U$ be the corresponding row echelon form matrix.

I want to check if the following statements are true or not.

1. If $B$ is a $5\times 5$ invertible matrix, at least two of the columns of $B$ are not in the nulity of $A$.
  2. There is a $b\in \mathbb{R}^4$ such that $Ax=b$ has a unique solution.
  3. $U$ has exactly one zero row.
  4. $U$ has two linearly independent rows.
  5. There is a $b\in \mathbb{R}^4$ such that $Ax=b$ has no solution.
  6. The equation $Ax=b$ has infinitely many solutions for each $b$.
I have done the following:

1. Since $B$ is a $5\times 5$ invertible matrix, the rank is equal to $5$, or not? From the rank-nullity theorem we get that the nulity is equal to $0$.

What do we get from that? That the statement is wrong?

$ $
  2. Since the rank of the matrix is smaller than the number of columns the system $Ax=b$ has more than one solution.

So, the statement is wrong.

$ $
  3. Since the rank of $A$ is equal to $2$ the matrix $U$ has $4-2=2$ zero rows.

$ $
  4. The number of non-zero rows of $U$ is equal to the rank of $A$ and the non-zero rows of $U$ are linearly independent. Therefore, $U$ has $2$ linearly independent rows.

So, the statement is correct.

$ $
  5. Similar to (2) this statement is wrong, since we have more than one solution.

$ $
  6. Again similar to (2) the statement is correct.
Is everything correct? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

Let $A$ be a $4\times 5$ matrix with rank $2$ and let $U$ be the corresponding row echelon form matrix.

I want to check if the following statements are true or not.
  1. If $B$ is a $5\times 5$ invertible matrix, at least two of the columns of $B$ are not in the nulity of $A$.
  2. There is a $b\in \mathbb{R}^4$ such that $Ax=b$ has a unique solution.
  3. $U$ has exactly one zero row.
  4. $U$ has two linearly independent rows.
  5. There is a $b\in \mathbb{R}^4$ such that $Ax=b$ has no solution.
  6. The equation $Ax=b$ has infinitely many solutions for each $b$.
I have done the following:
  1. Since $B$ is a $5\times 5$ invertible matrix, the rank is equal to $5$, or not? From the rank-nullity theorem we get that the nulity is equal to $0$.

What do we get from that? That the statement is wrong?

Hey mathmari!

That's about the nullity of $B$. It's not related to the nullity of $A$ is it? (Worried)

Since the rank of $A$ is $2$, its null space is the span of 3 linearly independent vectors.
So 3 columns of $B$ could conceivably fall into the null space of $A$.
But not 4, or could they? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
$ $
2. Since the rank of the matrix is smaller than the number of columns the system $Ax=b$ has more than one solution.

Couldn't $Ax=b$ have no solution at all? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
$ $
3. Since the rank of $A$ is equal to $2$ the matrix $U$ has $4-2=2$ zero rows.

$ $
4. The number of non-zero rows of $U$ is equal to the rank of $A$ and the non-zero rows of $U$ are linearly independent. Therefore, $U$ has $2$ linearly independent rows.

So, the statement is correct.

Correct. (Nod)

mathmari said:
$ $
5. Similar to (2) this statement is wrong, since we have more than one solution.

$ $
6. Again similar to (2) the statement is correct.

Suppose the row reduced form is:
$$\left(\begin{array}{ccccc|c}1&*&*&*&*&*\\&&1&*&*&*\\&&&&&1\\&&&&&0 \end{array}\right)$$
How many solutions will we have? (Wondering)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
That's about the nullity of $B$. It's not related to the nullity of $A$ is it? (Worried)

Since the rank of $A$ is $2$, its null space is the span of 3 linearly independent vectors.
So 3 columns of $B$ could conceivably fall into the null space of $A$.
But not 4, or could they? (Wondering)

Could you explain to me this part further? I got stuck right now. (Wondering)
Klaas van Aarsen said:
Couldn't $Ax=b$ have no solution at all? (Wondering)Suppose the row reduced form is:
$$\left(\begin{array}{ccccc|c}1&*&*&*&*&*\\&&1&*&*&*\\&&&&&1\\&&&&&0 \end{array}\right)$$
How many solutions will we have? (Wondering)

So, a system $Ax=b$ has either no solution or infinitely many solution, but it cannot have a unique solution. Is this correct? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Could you explain to me this part further? I got stuck right now.

Suppose less than 2 columns of $B$ are not in the null space of $A$.
Then at least 4 columns are in the null space.
What is the rank of $AB$ then? (Wondering)

We may want to consider the images of $\mathbf e_1,\ldots,\mathbf e_5$.

mathmari said:
So, a system $Ax=b$ has either no solution or infinitely many solution, but it cannot have a unique solution. Is this correct? (Wondering)

Yes. (Nod)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Suppose less than 2 columns of $B$ are not in the null space of $A$.
Then at least 4 columns are in the null space.
What is the rank of $AB$ then? (Wondering)

We may want to consider the images of $\mathbf e_1,\ldots,\mathbf e_5$.

Is the rank of $AB$ less than the minimum of the rank of $A$ and the rank of $B$ ? (Wondering)
Klaas van Aarsen said:
Yes. (Nod)

Does it need a proof or can we just say that at the statements (2), (5), (6) and so (2) is false, and (5) and (6) are true? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Is the rank of $AB$ less than the minimum of the rank of $A$ and the rank of $B$ ?

We have the property that the product of an invertible matrix with another matrix has the same rank as that other matrix.
Can we prove that property, or find it? (Wondering)
And indeed $AB$ would have rank less than $A$, which is then a contradiction.

mathmari said:
Does it need a proof or can we just say that at the statements (2), (5), (6) and so (2) is false, and (5) and (6) are true?

In the problem statement you wrote 'I want to check if the following statements are true or not.'
That seems to imply that some checking should be done.
We can use known properties, and I guess we can look them up as well. Otherwise we should verify if they are actually true based on those properties, shouldn't we? (Wondering)
For starters, is (6) really true?

Klaas van Aarsen said:
In the problem statement you wrote 'I want to check if the following statements are true or not.'
That seems to imply that some checking should be done.
We can use known properties, and I guess we can look them up as well. Otherwise we should verify if they are actually true based on those properties, shouldn't we? (Wondering)
For starters, is (6) really true?

Ah (6) is not true, because we have for every b. It would be true if we had for some b, or not? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Ah (6) is not true, because we have for every b. It would be true if we had for some b, or not?

Correct. (Nod)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Correct. (Nod)

So, correct are only the statements (1), (4), (5), or not? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
So, correct are only the statements (1), (4), (5), or not?

Yep. (Nod)

1. What is a 4x5 matrix?

A 4x5 matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or variables arranged in 4 rows and 5 columns.

2. What does rank 2 mean in a 4x5 matrix?

Rank 2 in a 4x5 matrix means that the matrix has 2 linearly independent rows or columns, which is the maximum possible rank for a 4x5 matrix.

3. How do you determine the rank of a 4x5 matrix?

The rank of a 4x5 matrix can be determined by using row reduction operations to transform the matrix into reduced row echelon form. The number of non-zero rows in the reduced matrix is the rank of the original matrix.

4. Can a 4x5 matrix have a rank of 0?

No, a 4x5 matrix cannot have a rank of 0. The minimum possible rank for a 4x5 matrix is 1, meaning that at least one row or column must be linearly independent.

5. What is the significance of the rank of a 4x5 matrix?

The rank of a 4x5 matrix represents the maximum number of linearly independent rows or columns in the matrix. It is also used to determine important properties of the matrix, such as whether it has a unique solution when solving a system of linear equations represented by the matrix.