Register to reply

Electrolytic vs. electrochemical vs. galvanic cells.

Share this thread:
Drteeth
Aug18-07, 03:36 PM
P: 4
So my question is what is the difference between these cells? This always confuses me. I know that electrolytic cells are nonspontaneous and that their cathode is negative which means that electrons are going against their gradients here. I am also aware of the fact that a galvanic cells is spontaneous and that the cathode is positive, however, I was unsure if this is its own cell type or is it a type of electrochemical cell?

Thanks for clearing this confusion up for me!
drteeth is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
A new synthetic amino acid for an emerging class of drugs
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
symbolipoint
Aug18-07, 03:55 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,823
Drteeth, you just answered your own question. What confuses you?
Electrolytic - The reaction needs energy to be put into the system from external source; otherwise the reaction does not happen.
Galvanic - the reaction happens because it WANTS to happen; no energy needs to be supplied from the outside.
rocomath
Aug18-07, 04:30 PM
P: 1,754
**** ... i forgot that the anodes/cathodes are different charges, i was asked a bunch of questions on that on my final. eek!

Drteeth
Aug18-07, 05:49 PM
P: 4
Electrolytic vs. electrochemical vs. galvanic cells.

Ok, I think I figured this out - both electrolytic and galvanic cells are electrochemical cells. It was really just the classifications that I wasnt getting...

Thanks for the help...
amala_jose
Sep13-11, 09:08 AM
P: 2
In electrolytic cell, electrical energy is converted to chemical energy where as in galvanic cell, chemical energy is converted to electrical energy.

Register to reply