Large Scale Uncertainty Principle

by chrisdapos
Tags: principle, scale, uncertainty
Share this thread:
chrisdapos
Sep15-11, 08:09 PM
P: 23
Hi,

I was watching Through the Wormhole two weeks ago (I think it was a re-run), and they were talking about the uncertainty principle, and how it was impossible to prove due to the change in momentum of a particle when hit with an observation device, such as light. I think the guy was using protons, and it was some sort of chip assembly, with a main channel and a rudder going off to the side.

Does anybody know what I am referring to? Whoever worked on this, or the reference to which episode it was would be much appreciated!!

Thanks,
Chris
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
Drakkith
Sep15-11, 08:22 PM
Mentor
P: 11,884
I can't see it being incorrect. I believe it is the explanation for quantum tunneling, a very useful and important phenomena. I don't know if that counts as "proving" it or not.
DrChinese
Sep16-11, 09:19 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,385
Quote Quote by chrisdapos View Post
... they were talking about the uncertainty principle, and how it was impossible to prove due to the change in momentum of a particle when hit with an observation device, such as light...
The Uncertainty Principle has mounds of experimental support. The idea that there is some issue with the observing apparatus (i.e. imparting some change) has been soundly discredited.

vijayan_t
Oct31-11, 09:20 PM
P: 8
Large Scale Uncertainty Principle

see this large scale uncertainty http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV34cJS61Jo

Register to reply