How to create a matrix from this relation

In summary, a matrix can be constructed for the relation R on set A={1,2,3,4} by labeling the rows and columns with the elements of set A and filling in the entries with 1 if the corresponding elements are related and 0 otherwise.
Jakes
Let R be a relation on set A={1,2,3,4}
R = {(1,1) (1,2) (1,3) (1,4) (2,2) (2,4) (3,3) (3,4) (4,4)}
Construct a matrix of R

I don't know how to solve matrix can you tell me how to construct a matrix with this Relation

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure of what you want to do with the matrix, but a guess would be

that you do a matrix M with , rows i, columns j, each labelled 1,2,3,4, and then,

entry m_ij is 1 if i is related to j, and m_ij =0 otherwise.

Bacle said:
I'm not sure of what you want to do with the matrix, but a guess would be

that you do a matrix M with , rows i, columns j, each labelled 1,2,3,4, and then,

entry m_ij is 1 if i is related to j, and m_ij =0 otherwise.

Thanks ...

What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers, symbols, or expressions arranged in rows and columns. It is commonly used in mathematics and science to represent data and perform operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication.

How do you create a matrix from a relation?

To create a matrix from a relation, you first need to identify the elements or variables involved in the relation. Then, the elements or variables will become the rows and columns of the matrix. The values of the matrix will be determined based on the relationship between the elements or variables.

What are the different types of matrices?

There are several types of matrices, including square matrices, rectangular matrices, identity matrices, zero matrices, diagonal matrices, upper triangular matrices, and lower triangular matrices. Each type has its own unique characteristics and uses in different applications.

What is the purpose of creating a matrix from a relation?

The purpose of creating a matrix from a relation is to represent the relationship between different elements or variables in a concise and organized manner. This allows for easier analysis and manipulation of the data, making it a useful tool in various fields such as mathematics, computer science, and economics.

Can a matrix only be created from numerical data?

No, a matrix can also be created from non-numerical data, such as symbols, equations, or logical statements. In fact, matrices are often used to represent complex relationships and systems that involve both numerical and non-numerical data.