Question from a proof in Axler 2nd Ed, 'Linear Algebra Done Right'

In summary, the conversation revolves around the proof of TH 5.13 in the 2nd edition of Linear Algebra Done Right, which differs from the proof in the 4th edition. The proof involves a linear operator ##T## on a finite dimensional complex vector space ##V## and an eigenvalue ##\lambda## of ##T##. The subspace ##U## is the range of ##T-\lambda I##, and a basis ##\{ u_1,u_2,...,u_m, v_1,v_2,...v_k\}## is used to show that the matrix of ##T-\lambda I## restricted to ##U## is upper triangular. The identity ##Tv_j = (T-\
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
TL;DR Summary
A question about the final step in a proof (by induction) that each linear transformation in a finite dimensional complex vector space has a basis in which its matrix is upper triangular.
My question is motivated by the proof of TH 5.13 on p 84 in the 2nd edition of Linear Algebra Done Right. (This proof differs from that in the 4th ed - online at: https://linear.axler.net/index.html chapter 5 )

In the proof we arrive at the following situation:
##T## is a linear operator on a finite dimensional complex vector space ##V## and ##\lambda ## is a an eigenvalue of ##T\ ##. The subspace ##U## is the range of the linear operator ##T−λI## The set of vectors ##\{ u_1,u_2,...,u_m, v_1,v_2,...v_k\}## is a basis for ##V## such that ##\{ u_1,u_2,...u_m\}## is a basis for ##U## and such that the matrix of the operator ##T - \lambda I ## restricted to ##U## is upper triangular in that basis.

We have the identity ## Tv_j = (T - \lambda I) v_j + \lambda v_j##. Since ##(T-\lambda I) v_j \in U##, this exhibits ##Tv_j## as the sum of two vectors where the first can be expressed as a linear combination of the vectors ##u_i## and the second is ##\lambda v_j##.

My question: (for example in the case Dim ##U = m = 2,\ ##, Dim ## V = 5## ) Does this show the matrix of ##T## has the form
##\begin{pmatrix} a_{1,1}&a_{1,2}& a_{1,3} & a_{1,4} & a_{1,5} \\ 0 & a_{2,2}, & a_{2,3} & a_{2,4} & a_{2,5} \\ 0 & 0 & \lambda & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 &0 & \lambda &0\\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & \lambda \end{pmatrix} ## ?

This is not how Axler ends the proof. He makes the less detailed observation that ##v_j \in ## Span ## \{u_1,u_2,...v_j\} ## for ##j = 1, k\ ##. That property characterizes an upper triangular matrix by a previously proved theorem, TH 5.12.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
pardon me, I did not try read axler, but this theorem seems off hand to have a trivial proof. just take v1 as an eigenvector for T, then mod out V by the space spanned by v1, and take v2 to be a vector representing an eigenvector for the induced map on V/<v1>. Then take v3 to be a vector representing an eigenvector for the induced map on V/<v1,v2>, ...... I.e. at each stage, vk is an eigenvector mod the previous vectors, so T(vk)-ck.vk is a linear combination of v1,...,vk-1. Is this nonsense?

but I see your questions is otherwise. I think the answer to it is yes.

Last edited:
Here's my discomfort with the zeroes: If all those zeroes appear, why do we ever need generalized eigenvectors? This is just an intuitive discomfort. I haven't figured out whether a defective matrix couldn't have them.

I see why my intuition is wrong. For example, ##Tv_1 = \begin{pmatrix} a_{1,3} \\ a_{2,3} \\ \lambda,\\0,\\0 \end{pmatrix} ## , which isn't equal to ##\lambda v_1##. So ##\lambda v_1## isn't necessarily an eigenvector.

1. What is the main concept behind linear algebra?

The main concept behind linear algebra is the study of vector spaces and linear transformations. It involves understanding how to manipulate and solve systems of linear equations, as well as analyzing geometric and algebraic properties of vectors and matrices.

2. What is the purpose of proofs in linear algebra?

The purpose of proofs in linear algebra is to provide a rigorous and logical justification for mathematical statements and theorems. They help to establish the validity of mathematical concepts and provide a deeper understanding of the underlying principles.

3. What is the significance of the "Linear Algebra Done Right" textbook by Axler?

The "Linear Algebra Done Right" textbook by Axler is highly regarded for its clear and concise approach to teaching the subject. It focuses on the fundamental concepts of linear algebra and emphasizes the importance of understanding the underlying theory rather than just memorizing formulas.

4. How does linear algebra relate to other fields of science and mathematics?

Linear algebra has applications in a wide range of fields, including physics, engineering, computer science, and statistics. It provides a powerful framework for solving complex problems and is essential for understanding many advanced mathematical concepts.

5. What are some real-world applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra has many practical applications, such as image and signal processing, data compression, and machine learning. It is also used in economics, social sciences, and business for analyzing and predicting trends and patterns.