Exploiting Directions of Negative Curvature

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the full information of a hessian in 2nd order optimization. This involves making a part of the iterative step to include the eigenvector corresponding to the smallest eigenvalue. The question raised is about the geometrical meaning of the dot product between the gradient and eigenvector, and how to determine the sign to use in finding a local maximum. It is noted that finding the minimum of x is equivalent to finding the maximum of -x, but this does not fully answer the question about the geometry behind the sign choice.
brydustin
The title of an old paper... It mentions that in order to use the full information of a hessian in 2nd order optimization that you should make a part of your iterative step to include v (eigenvector corresponding to smallest eigenvalue, assuming that the eigenvalue is negative).
By doing the following: p = -sign(g'*v)*v : where g is the gradient. So here is the question, what is the geometrical meaning of the dot product of {g,v}? Because the idea is to find a local minimum but I'm trying to find a local maximum and would like to use similar information. Another condition for a local minimum would be that all the eigenvalues are positive, so in my case I would want all of them to be negative. So in my case would I set
p = + or - sign(g'*w)*w, where w is the eigenvalue corresponding to the largest eigenvalue (assuming that its also greater than 0 -- obviously if max(eigenvalue) < 0 then hessian is sufficiently conditioned to find a maximizer. Anyway, I appreciate any help on this... which sign do I pick and why (what's the geometry behind it?)
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Finding the minimum of x is the same problem as finding the maximum of -x.

That should be all you need to answer your questions about signs.

Okay... but that doesn't actually answer my question.
What is the geometrical meaning behind dot(gradient, eigenvector of smallest eigenvalue), simply saying to flip the signs always makes no sense. Maybe in my case, -sgn(dot(g,eigenvector))*eigenvector STILL makes sense because of the sign of the eigenvector, but I don't know. The crux of the question is about geometry and not a naive change of sign. You don't change the sign mindlessly, for example, when solving g +Hd=0 you don't suddenly say d = inv(H)*g. My question is one of geometry.

1. What is negative curvature and why is it important?

Negative curvature refers to the curvature of a surface that is concave or curved inward. In terms of mathematics and science, it is important because it allows us to understand and analyze the behavior and properties of various surfaces and shapes. Negative curvature can also have significant implications in fields such as physics and biology.

2. How can we exploit the directions of negative curvature?

One way to exploit the directions of negative curvature is by using them to optimize and improve algorithms in various applications. This can include optimizing search algorithms, improving machine learning algorithms, and enhancing optimization techniques.

3. What are some examples of applications that utilize the directions of negative curvature?

Some examples of applications that utilize the directions of negative curvature include computer graphics, robotics, computer vision, and data analysis. These applications use negative curvature to improve their efficiency and accuracy.

4. How is negative curvature measured and quantified?

Negative curvature can be measured and quantified using various mathematical techniques such as Gaussian curvature, sectional curvature, and Ricci curvature. These measures allow us to understand the curvature at different points on a surface and its overall behavior.

5. What are some current research and developments in exploiting directions of negative curvature?

Currently, there is ongoing research in utilizing negative curvature to improve optimization algorithms in machine learning and data analysis. There are also studies investigating the potential of using negative curvature to design and optimize new materials with unique properties.