by Chinnu
Tags: analysis, proof
Share this thread:
Chinnu
Sep24-11, 01:12 AM
P: 24
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that, if a, b, c >0 and a+b+c = 1, then,

([itex]\frac{1}{a}[/itex]-1)([itex]\frac{1}{b}[/itex]-1)([itex]\frac{1}{c}[/itex]-1) [itex]\geq[/itex] 8

2. Relevant equations

The usual math is ok

3. The attempt at a solution

I multiplied them out to get:

([itex]\frac{1}{abc}-\frac{1}{ac}-\frac{1}{bc}+\frac{1}{c}-\frac{1}{ab}+\frac{1}{a}+\frac{1}{b}[/itex]-1)

= ([itex]\frac{1}{abc}-\frac{b}{abc}-\frac{a}{abc}+\frac{ab}{abc}-\frac{c}{abc}+\frac{bc}{abc}+\frac{ac}{abc}[/itex]-1)

= ([itex]\frac{1-b-a+ab-c+bc+ac-abc}{abc}[/itex])

= ([itex]\frac{ab+bc+ac}{abc}[/itex]) = ([itex]\frac{1}{a}+\frac{1}{b}+\frac{1}{c}[/itex]), .........as 1-(a+b+c) = 0

abc is a small number as a,b,c are all less than 1, and it is and order smaller than
anything in the numerator. OR, since a, b, c < 1,
([itex]\frac{1}{a}+\frac{1}{b}+\frac{1}{c}[/itex]) > 3

Now I don't know what to do. I'm not even sure I'm on the right track...
There may be some other logic I should be using to make this easier, but I don't see it.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Mark44
Sep24-11, 01:47 PM
Mentor
P: 21,311
Quote Quote by Chinnu View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that, if a, b, c >0 and a+b+c = 1, then,

([itex]\frac{1}{a}[/itex]-1)([itex]\frac{1}{b}[/itex]-1)([itex]\frac{1}{c}[/itex]-1) [itex]\geq[/itex] 8

2. Relevant equations

The usual math is ok

3. The attempt at a solution

I multiplied them out to get:

([itex]\frac{1}{abc}-\frac{1}{ac}-\frac{1}{bc}+\frac{1}{c}-\frac{1}{ab}+\frac{1}{a}+\frac{1}{b}[/itex]-1)

= ([itex]\frac{1}{abc}-\frac{b}{abc}-\frac{a}{abc}+\frac{ab}{abc}-\frac{c}{abc}+\frac{bc}{abc}+\frac{ac}{abc}[/itex]-1)

= ([itex]\frac{1-b-a+ab-c+bc+ac-abc}{abc}[/itex])

= ([itex]\frac{ab+bc+ac}{abc}[/itex]) = ([itex]\frac{1}{a}+\frac{1}{b}+\frac{1}{c}[/itex]), .........as 1-(a+b+c) = 0

abc is a small number as a,b,c are all less than 1, and it is and order smaller than
anything in the numerator. OR, since a, b, c < 1,
According to what you wrote, a + b + c = 1. You haven't used this fact. If you do, you can get an expression that doesn't involve c.

([itex]\frac{1}{a}+\frac{1}{b}+\frac{1}{c}[/itex]) > 3

Now I don't know what to do. I'm not even sure I'm on the right track...
There may be some other logic I should be using to make this easier, but I don't see it.
Chinnu
Sep24-11, 03:31 PM
Quote Quote by Mark44 View Post
According to what you wrote, a + b + c = 1. You haven't used this fact. If you do, you can get an expression that doesn't involve c.

so, use c = 1 - a - b, substitute that into the first equation, and see what happens?

Mark44
Sep24-11, 06:34 PM
Mentor
Prove this is greater than or equal to 8

That's what I had in mind, yes.

I tried that, and was able to factor things a lot, but I wasn't able to show that the expression on the left is >= 8.

Where you might go next is to consider w = f(x, y) = (1/x - 1)(1/y - 1)( (x + y)/(1 -x - y)). Use calculus to show that there is a global minimum, and that the minimum value is 8.
Chinnu
Sep24-11, 07:21 PM
Quote Quote by Mark44 View Post
That's what I had in mind, yes.

I tried that, and was able to factor things a lot, but I wasn't able to show that the expression on the left is >= 8.

Where you might go next is to consider w = f(x, y) = (1/x - 1)(1/y - 1)( (x + y)/(1 -x - y)). Use calculus to show that there is a global minimum, and that the minimum value is 8.
I will try this. Also, would it be possible to see if:

[itex](\frac{1}{a}-1)[/itex] [itex]\geq[/itex] 2,

as, if this is done, without loss of generality, it would apply to each, and 2x2x2 [itex]\geq[/itex] 8
Mark44
Sep24-11, 09:06 PM
Mentor
I will try this. Also, would it be possible to see if:

[itex](\frac{1}{a}-1)[/itex] [itex]\geq[/itex] 2,

as, if this is done, without loss of generality, it would apply to each, and 2x2x2 [itex]\geq[/itex] 8
The inequality above is true for 0 < x <= 1/3.
dynamicsolo
Sep24-11, 09:37 PM
HW Helper
P: 1,662
I can't judge from your title or first post what level of analysis you have had already. So I'll propose a couple of things:

-- the straightforward one if you've had multivariate calculus is to use Lagrange multipliers, since you have a function and a constraint equation in three variables; you will be able to show easily that the critical point occurs where a = b = c ; you would then reduce the function to one with two variables and use the Second Partial Derivative Test to show that the value 8 is a minimum [the Test with three variable is messier]; this is, I believe, essentially what Mark44 is suggesting

-- a non-calculus approach would be to consider that a + b + c = 1 in the first octant is an equilateral triangular region, the portion of the plane bounded by the coordinate planes; the product in question is plainly infinite at the edges of the triangle, so the interior must contain a minimum for the product; the three-fold symmetry of the region suggests that the "special point" lies where a = b = c = 1/3 ; that gives the "right number" for the product, but what is the behavior of the function?; fix one variable and shift one of the others by a small amount, which automatically shifts the remaining variable; show that any deviation from the special point must give a larger product

Register to reply