Electric Potential and Kinetic Energy of a point charge

In summary: Given the potential at x = 0 is 0, you can use the formula V(x) = -Edx, where E is the electric field strength and d is the distance from x = 0. In this case, E = 2.40 kV/m and d = x. Therefore, V(x) = -2.40x kV.
pintsize131
A uniform electric field has a magnitude 2.40 kV/m and points in the +x direction.
(a) What is the electric potential difference between x = 0.00 m plane and the x = 3.90 m plane?

(b) A point particle that has a charge of +3.40 µC is released from rest at the origin. What is the change in the electric potential energy of the particle as it travels from the x = 0.00 m plane to the x = 3.90 m plane?

(c) What is the kinetic energy of the particle when it arrives at the x = 3.90 m plane? (mJ)

(d) Find the expression for the electric potential V(x) if its value is chosen to be zero at x = 0. (Use the following as necessary: x.) (kV)

Homework Equations

(a)F=(kq1q2)/r2
(b)E=(kq)/r2
(c)V=(kq)/r
(d)EPE=U=(kq1q2)/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out parts (a) and (b).
(a) -9.36 kV (used equation c)
(b) -31.82 mJ (used F=Eq, then F*r)

(c) I got stuck here. My textbook said to "equate potential energy to kinetic energy." Does this mean that potential energy is the same as kinetic energy for the problem?

(d)For this part, I don't understand the question. Any clarification?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
re (c):
The positive charge moves in the direction of the electric field i.e. in direction of decreasing electric potential. Hence as decrease in PE is transformed into KE.
re (d):
You are asked for the potential as a function of x.

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a point in an electric field.

2. How is electric potential calculated?

Electric potential is calculated by dividing the electric potential energy of a point charge by the magnitude of the charge.

3. What is the relationship between electric potential and kinetic energy?

The electric potential at a point is directly proportional to the kinetic energy of a point charge at that point. As the electric potential increases, the kinetic energy also increases.

4. What is the formula for calculating electric potential of a point charge?

The formula for calculating electric potential of a point charge is V = kq/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge of the point charge, and r is the distance from the point charge.

5. How does the electric potential and kinetic energy of a point charge change with distance?

The electric potential decreases as the distance from the point charge increases, while the kinetic energy increases. This relationship is represented by the inverse relationship between electric potential and distance, and the direct relationship between kinetic energy and distance.