How to Read an mRNA Sequence from a DNA Sequence?

• Thread starter seking10788
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to determine the mRNA sequence from a DNA sequence. The individual is confused about the open reading frame and whether to read the bottom strand in reverse. They are reminded that only one strand is transcribed at a time and the complementary strand must be used. A mistake is pointed out and the correct mRNA sequence is given.
seking10788
I have this question asking what the mRNA sequence would be.

5'-ATGATATCAAGCACACACGCAACGTGCGAATTACTATAG-3'
3'-TACTATAGTTCGTGTGTGCGTTGCACGCTTAATGATATC-5'

I'm confused about what I am doing wrong. Isn't the open reading frame AUG so you would read it to be

AUG AUA UCA AGC ACA CAC GCA ACG UGC GAA UUA CUA TUG
and then where would you go from there? would you read the next (bottom) strand from 5' to 3' (so backwards) and stop at UAA, UGA, or UAG? Am I doing the first part correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
What you have here is a DNA sequence. Now you need to figure out the RNA sequence, what difference do you think there is between the two?

You have jumped to figuring out the amino acid sequence which is a step to far, concentrate on how to create RNA from DNA.

seking10788 said:
I have this question asking what the mRNA sequence would be.

5'-ATGATATCAAGCACACACGCAACGTGCGAATTACTATAG-3'
3'-TACTATAGTTCGTGTGTGCGTTGCACGCTTAATGATATC-5'

I'm confused about what I am doing wrong. Isn't the open reading frame AUG so you would read it to be

AUG AUA UCA AGC ACA CAC GCA ACG UGC GAA UUA CUA TUG
and then where would you go from there? would you read the next (bottom) strand from 5' to 3' (so backwards) and stop at UAA, UGA, or UAG? Am I doing the first part correctly?

No you are forgetting the basic principle. The other strand is complementary to the first. At a time, only one strand is transcribed so you wouldn't have bits from both the strands in the mRNA string.

By the way you made a mistake in the last codon. TAG would become UAG not TUG like you wrote. And there you have it, your stop codon.

1. What is the purpose of predicting mRNA sequence?

The purpose of predicting mRNA sequence is to determine the specific sequence of bases (adenine, guanine, cytosine, and uracil) that make up the messenger RNA (mRNA) molecule. This sequence is important because it determines the sequence of amino acids in a protein, which in turn influences the structure and function of the protein.

2. How is mRNA sequence predicted?

mRNA sequence can be predicted using computer algorithms that analyze the DNA sequence of a gene and determine the corresponding mRNA sequence. These algorithms take into account the genetic code, which specifies which amino acids are encoded by which sequences of three mRNA bases (codons).

3. What techniques are used to validate predicted mRNA sequences?

There are several techniques used to validate predicted mRNA sequences, including DNA sequencing, in vitro transcription, and reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR). These techniques involve comparing the predicted mRNA sequence to the actual sequence of the mRNA molecule in a biological sample.

4. Can mRNA sequence prediction be used to identify genetic mutations?

Yes, mRNA sequence prediction can be used to identify genetic mutations that may lead to diseases or disorders. By comparing the predicted mRNA sequence to the known normal sequence, any differences or mutations can be identified and further analyzed for their potential effects on protein structure and function.

5. Is predicting mRNA sequence accurate?

The accuracy of predicting mRNA sequence depends on the quality of the input data and the algorithm used. In general, it is a reliable method for determining the sequence of bases in an mRNA molecule, but it is important to validate the predicted sequence using experimental techniques to ensure accuracy.