Predicting mRNA sequence

by seking10788
Tags: dna, genetics, mrna
seking10788
Sep28-11, 07:02 PM
P: 1
I have this question asking what the mRNA sequence would be.

5'-ATGATATCAAGCACACACGCAACGTGCGAATTACTATAG-3'
3'-TACTATAGTTCGTGTGTGCGTTGCACGCTTAATGATATC-5'

I'm confused about what I am doing wrong. Isn't the open reading frame AUG so you would read it to be

AUG AUA UCA AGC ACA CAC GCA ACG UGC GAA UUA CUA TUG
and then where would you go from there? would you read the next (bottom) strand from 5' to 3' (so backwards) and stop at UAA, UGA, or UAG? Am I doing the first part correctly?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Lemurs match scent of a friend to sound of her voice
Repeated self-healing now possible in composite materials
'Heartbleed' fix may slow Web performance
Ryan_m_b
Sep29-11, 04:07 AM
Mentor
P: 5,336
What you have here is a DNA sequence. Now you need to figure out the RNA sequence, what difference do you think there is between the two?

You have jumped to figuring out the amino acid sequence which is a step to far, concentrate on how to create RNA from DNA.
mishrashubham
Sep29-11, 12:36 PM
P: 605
Quote Quote by seking10788 View Post
I have this question asking what the mRNA sequence would be.

5'-ATGATATCAAGCACACACGCAACGTGCGAATTACTATAG-3'
3'-TACTATAGTTCGTGTGTGCGTTGCACGCTTAATGATATC-5'

I'm confused about what I am doing wrong. Isn't the open reading frame AUG so you would read it to be

AUG AUA UCA AGC ACA CAC GCA ACG UGC GAA UUA CUA TUG
and then where would you go from there? would you read the next (bottom) strand from 5' to 3' (so backwards) and stop at UAA, UGA, or UAG? Am I doing the first part correctly?
No you are forgetting the basic principle. The other strand is complementary to the first. At a time, only one strand is transcribed so you wouldn't have bits from both the strands in the mRNA string.

By the way you made a mistake in the last codon. TAG would become UAG not TUG like you wrote. And there you have it, your stop codon.

Register to reply