Genetic Code: Val-tRNA Val - Anticodon Selection

In summary, the appropriate anticodon for Val-tRNA is UAC, following the complementary base pairing rules and eliminating choices without a matching U in the middle.
VanessaN

Homework Statement

Val-tRNA val is the tRNA that carries valine to the ribosome during translation. Which of the following sequences gives an appropriate anticodon for this tRNA?

A. CAU
B. AUC
C. UAC
D. GUG

Homework Equations

There are four different codons for Valine: GUU, GUC, GUA, and GUG.

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is C, but I'm just wondering how to approach problems like this in the future.
Since we're looking for the anticodon, and DNA is read 5'---> 3', we would have to flip all 4 codons for Val:
UUG, CUG, AUG, GUG.
Then would we follow complementary base pairing rules to get:
AAC, GAC, UAC, CAC

That way, we get the correct answer, but I'm just wondering if I have the correct method down or if somebody could help explain to me why this is the reason its done this way? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You could have eliminated a couple of choices like D right because it is Val-tRNA.

Choice B has a matching U in the middle.

So you're left with choice A or C and your analysis then applies to determine which one is the winner.

Here's a discussion on codons:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_code

Likes VanessaN
jedishrfu said:
You could have eliminated a couple of choices like D right because it is Val-tRNA.

Choice B has a matching U in the middle.

So you're left with choice A or C and your analysis then applies to determine which one is the winner.

Here's a discussion on codons:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_code

Thanks!

1. What is the genetic code?

The genetic code is the set of instructions within a living organism's DNA that determines the sequence of amino acids in proteins. It is essentially the "language" that cells use to create proteins, which are essential for all biological processes.

2. What is Val-tRNA Val?

Val-tRNA Val is a specific type of transfer RNA (tRNA) molecule that carries the amino acid valine. It is responsible for bringing valine to the ribosome during protein synthesis.

3. What is an anticodon?

An anticodon is a sequence of three nucleotides on tRNA molecules that is complementary to a specific codon on mRNA. This allows the correct amino acid to be delivered to the ribosome during protein synthesis.

4. How is the Val-tRNA Val anticodon selected?

The Val-tRNA Val anticodon is selected through a process called anticodon recognition. This involves the specific base pairing between the anticodon on the tRNA molecule and the complementary codon on the mRNA molecule.

5. Why is the selection of the Val-tRNA Val anticodon important?

The selection of the Val-tRNA Val anticodon is important because it ensures that the correct amino acid (valine) is added to the growing protein chain during translation. Any errors in this process can result in a non-functional or even harmful protein being produced.