Register to reply

Wheel shimmy and wheel wobble difference

by monty37
Tags: difference, shimmy, wheel, wobble
Share this thread:
monty37
Oct14-11, 03:46 AM
P: 225
what is the difference between wheel shimmy and wheel wobble?...in certain books it said they meant the same..
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Danger
Oct14-11, 03:50 AM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
I can't recall that I've ever heard the term "wobble" in reference to a wheel. To me, though, it seems to imply movement about a horizontal axis whereas "shimmy" is about a vertical one. Just my first thought, though; I don't really know.
Ranger Mike
Oct14-11, 03:53 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,474
wheels have axial and radial run out. should not exceed 0.030" typically

pantaz
Oct14-11, 05:23 PM
P: 589
Wheel shimmy and wheel wobble difference

Quote Quote by monty37 View Post
what is the difference between wheel shimmy and wheel wobble?...in certain books it said they meant the same..
For my personal definition, I think of "shimmy" as less intense than "wobble". (Although, I don't remember ever using "shimmy" to describe anything.)
DoggerDan
Oct14-11, 11:13 PM
P: 77
Quote Quote by monty37 View Post
A shimmy is when uncontrolled L/R oscillations in the front wheels cause the vehicle's direction to move left and right rapidly. It can happen in motorcycles, too. The Widowmaker, a 750cc three-cylinder bike was notorious for it: http://classicbikes.actieforum.com/t137-the-widow-maker

A wobble is merely a wheel's hub not being true. Thus, the hub's axis is not perpendicular to the directly of travel. It's often the result of hitting a major pothole or jumping a curb.
Allenman
Oct15-11, 03:38 AM
P: 58
Being a mechanic, every wheel vibration gets dubbed as a "shimmy."... but yeah, wobble can be from a bent hub or bent rim, or on occasion someone forgetting to tighten lugnuts (i've seen it before! Yikes!) (so the axis of rotation is not perpendicular to the wheel)... Shimmy is usually from unbalanced wheels or abnormal tred wear; however, for engineering axial runout would be more probable (axis of rotation is not center in the wheel).
monty37
Oct15-11, 06:26 AM
P: 225
That quite cleared it ,can you elaborate on axial runout?
Ranger Mike
Oct16-11, 04:27 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,474
run out is measured with a dial indicator..where it is placed determines the axial or radial run out..place it over the axle ..ie axial or place it on the outside of the wheel on tangent to the wheel radius..ie radial
DOsul
Jan23-12, 05:52 PM
P: 2
Could I suggest taking a look at the work of Robin Sharp ( search Robin Sharp+ motorcycle) you will find some good technical papers.

Register to reply