Why do tires slip easier from a standstill start?

• Automotive
  • Thread starter oiltop1500
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slip Tires
In summary: Some are the vehicle's speed, the driver's experience, the terrain, and the weather. The static friction between the clutch disc and the flywheel is what limits the amount of torque that can be applied to the wheel. The greater the torque, the faster the clutch can disengage. The faster the clutch can disengage, the greater the rotational force on the wheel /tire. When the rotational force is too great, the wheel /tire will slip and the clutch will have to be re-engaged to continue driving.
Randy Beikmann said:
It would take an infinite gear reduction to actually produce a large amount of power ...
Gear reduction does not produce power. Though, it can produce torque or rpm (one at the expense of the other). The output power is always the same (in principle) as the input power.
Randy Beikmann said:
... at the tires when stationary.
Again, if it is stationary, there cannot be any power, only torque.

I know you understand those principles @Randy Beikmann , I just wanted to make that clear to anyone who would misread your post.

Likes Randy Beikmann
Engineering news on Phys.org
jack action said:
Gear reduction does not produce power. Though, it can produce torque or rpm (one at the expense of the other). The output power is always the same (in principle) as the input power.

Again, if it is stationary, there cannot be any power, only torque.

I know you understand those principles @Randy Beikmann , I just wanted to make that clear to anyone who would misread your post.

You're right, that could have been said more clearly. Gear reductions certainly do not increase power - at best they break even, and if there's any friction they reduce power.

They only seem to slip easier.

There are other things going on like contact patch size change with suspension compression.

Most cars with independent suspension on the drive wheels encounter camber change during a hard acceleration event which normally peaks just as the power is applied.

We can break traction at 260mph on our car and hoping that doesn't happen when we test at KSC on the 15th of this month.