What to do with child prodigy: Gabriel See ?

by rhody
Tags: child, gabriel, prodigy
DaveC426913
Oct12-11, 11:57 AM
P: 15,325
Quote Quote by turbo View Post

Fly-fishing is for the hard-core stress addicts! Go to a gently flowing shallow river or stream in the late afternoon and try to land a well-tied fly in the path of a big brown trout, with no discernible drag or wake (real insects aren't followed by wake-boarders!), and when that guy takes the fly, try to make sure that the hook is firmly set, guide the fish to your net (or hands), remove the hook and let the fish go. That is all such fun that the trials of the day are no more.
My bro told me yesterday he would give up everything to fly fish full-time.

He's going to go out this weekend.
Edin_Dzeko
Oct12-11, 08:57 PM
P: 223
After reading that,:

[1] I hate myself for wasting my childhood on video games
[2] I'm going to print this out so when my kid grows up and there's no t.v. in the house but just books, he'll shut the f*** up and study!!
[3] I'm devoting the rest of my undergrad life to studying
mathwonk
Oct12-11, 09:36 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,421
this is not a real discussion. i vote to close.

(i spent the spring and summer teaching math to a class of 28 super talented kids 8-10 years old, some of whom knew calculus. They were able to work algebra problems involving quadratic and cubic equations from euler's algebra book. There is nothing wrong with them, they are just smarter than the rest of us and more motivated. they were delightful kids.)
Edin_Dzeko
Oct12-11, 09:55 PM
Quote Quote by mathwonk View Post
this is not a real discussion. i vote to close.

(i spent the spring and summer teaching math to a class of 28 super talented kids 8-10 years old, some of whom knew calculus. They were able to work algebra problems involving quadratic and cubic equations from euler's algebra book. There is nothing wrong with them, they are just smarter than the rest of us and more motivated. they were delightful kids.)
You want a discussion? This kid using internet resources and textbooks has been able to teach himself, and learn more than what's going on the classroom. What does tell you about the current education structure?
DaveC426913
Oct12-11, 09:56 PM
Quote Quote by Edin_Dzeko View Post
You want a discussion? This kid using internet resources and textbooks has been able to teach himself, and learn more than what's going on the classroom. What does tell you about the current education structure?
Nothing.

One does not a statistic make. And twice as much if the one is an outlier.
mathwonk
Oct12-11, 09:59 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
this discussion would only interest me if it were the kid or his parents asking for advice. this is just gossiping wannabees. this is an academic advice thread, but no one is asking for advice, just giving it unasked. so this is an inappropriate thread.
DaveC426913
Oct12-11, 10:01 PM
this discussion would only interest me if it were the kid or his parents asking for advice. this is just gossiping wannabees.
One wonders why you keep checking in - to tell us how uninterested you are.

mathwonk: unsub button. Unsub button: mathwonk. Pleased ta meetcha.
mathwonk
Oct12-11, 10:02 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
i voted to close it. that gives you an idea. i think this would be a better site of such useless and inappropriate threads were monitored and closed.
Edin_Dzeko
Oct12-11, 10:04 PM
Quote Quote by DaveC426913 View Post
Nothing.

One does not a statistic make. And twice as much if the one is an outlier.
still think this kid is cool. Really inspired by him teaching himself through textbooks etc., kid's learning method = boss
Edin_Dzeko
Oct12-11, 10:05 PM
i voted to close it. that gives you an idea. i think this would be a better site of such useless and inappropriate threads were monitored and closed.
your blood is really boiling, dude. relax, bro. After all you don't HAVE to contribute to this thread. There are plenty of other threads in page 1 where people are seeking advice.

this kid's the real deal. thanks for sharing the article, OP.
Mépris
Oct12-11, 10:07 PM
P: 826
Closing it is going to a bit too far, I think. It could be moved to General Discussion, seeing as there is no actual "advice" being passed on.

For the record: I found this little bit of information pretty cool. Not everyone gets to work with super smart ten year olds. The only eight-ten year olds I've seen as of late are two cute little girls who sing Abba. :)
DaveC426913
Oct12-11, 10:11 PM
Agreed. GD is a better place for it. There's no reason to close it.

Someone else report it. I'm going to bed.
mathwonk
Oct13-11, 08:28 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
i agree. there was indeed some interesting information here, but it did not belong in academic guidance. good choice.
KingNothing
Oct13-11, 08:37 PM
P: 949
I heard from a coworker once that suicide/depression rates are much higher for child "prodigies", which many attribute to lacking social skills as they are pushed and pushed through the ranks.
qspeechc
Oct14-11, 05:54 AM
P: 792
Yea, like turbo said, this boy needs a life. How about spending a weekend away in the country, swimming in dams, rowing, hiking etc.? Why doesn't he climb trees, go swimming, play football ('soccer'), learn a musical instrument, paint, get a girlfriend. He's going to look back when he's 30 and say "OMG, where did my youth go?"

Register to reply