Struggling in my freshman year of Physics at university

In summary, someone who is 29 and in their freshman year as an undeclared Physics major at an American University, had a background of getting bit by the astrophysics/science bug, after being homeschooled most of their life, and spent all of their extra time in study halls and breaks in the library reading magazines and books about astrophysics and physics. They became an "unofficial physics major" for a day at a local private University and were successful in grasping the concepts of astronomy and physics well enough that some professors at the tech school told them they should go to a university. They took an evaluation and found that science ticked off as a strength but their math skills ticked as a weakness. They are
aspiringastronomer
If Tl;dr I am struggling in Math 171 and Physics 191 and throwing around the idea of declaring a geology major with an astronomy minor because the Physics major "juice is not worth the squeeze" at my age(29) anyone else out there who struggled with Calculus 1 when they first took it?Hello everybody,
I am 29 and in my freshmen year as an undeclared Physics major at an American University.

A background on my journey thus far:

After I saw a display at a museum at 8, I got bit by the astrophysics/science bug. At 11 I read a book about quantum mechanics at a Barnes and Noble, which was topical but I found quantum theory fascinating. This lead to more inquiries into the nature of the universe.

After being homeschooled most of my life I went to public Highschool and barely passed physical science and pre-algebra my first year because I found that stuff useless and did not have a strong study routine established. I just got into Star Trek so this reignited the passion I had for Astrophysics and discovery.

Sophomore year and beyond, I would spend all of my extra time in study halls and breaks in the library reading magazines and books about astrophysics and physics. Junior year of Highschool a science teacher noticed my dedication and interest in physics and astronomy. He recommended I take a Physics class. I took the physics class and managed a B- (again bad study habits die hard) and enjoyed it very much and my strongest performance was in the astronomy section of the class(only section I really aced in that class). I decided I wanted to be an Astrophysicist/Astronomer. When I took a Highschool careers test, this ticked off as one of the fields I would enjoy and find success in.

I went to university after graduation to get up to date since I scored pretty low on the ACT which I really did not study for. Science again ticked as one of my strengths along with reading comprehension. I lost financing to go to university so I pivoted to tech school to study mechanical design. But I always looked at this as a means to an end(along with my other majors), the end being a physics degree. I switched majors from Mechanical design to natural resource management(for one semester) than business management(two semesters).

My highest grades where in math and trig. I had accumulated enough credits that when they transferred over to my current University that I could get my undergrad in Physics in just two to three years. However I basically failed a physics course at the tech school, because I did not study(like literally I would just read the textbook 1 hour before exam).

My old habit of reading in library kicked in the following semester and I would find myself reading these books:
(https://www.amazon.com/dp/0333750888/?tag=pfamazon01-20)
I grasped the concepts of astronomy and physics well enough that I had professors at the tech school tell me I should go to a university. One of the professors even loaned me their grad school systems of equations textbook for me to peruse which I only did once or twice. I sneaked in on lecture at a local private University and I became an "unofficial physics major" for a day. I even rubbed elbows with some of the prestigious physics professors there discussing theories(again the concepts not so much the maths) over tea(they had a thing called tea on Tuesdays and Thursdays.)

I have always enjoyed learning physics and astronomy. Last year I was accepted into a physics program, however I took an evaluation and once again, science ticked off as a strength but my math skills ticked as one of my weaknesses. I am now seeing it, I am currently struggling with Calculus 1(the first time in my academic career that I have officially taken a calculus class which is five credits) I am also taking Physics 191 another five credit class. I understand how the mechanics work in equations once I find some familiar ground. Getting to the familiar ground however, is where I am struggling with in both classes.

Another kicker is I have test anxiety where I can work physics formula derivations using calculus rules like integrations and taking the derivative and extensive algebra without a time constraint and can somewhat teach it to other colleagues clearly. I also collect old physics textbooks and like going through problems on my own time. But when it comes to showing what I know, my mind goes blank or stuff gets scrambled and my working memory takes longer to access the information needed. This is for both Calculus and Physics.

I am seriously considering declaring a geology major with a minor in astronomy and possibly another minor in physics if I literally need one more physics class to declare a physics minor. Because I am currently struggling with Calculus 1. However, I am told by upperclassmen in my major that they also struggled with Calc 1 failing and retaking it and getting a better grade. I wanted to get into a grad school in central/eastern Europe studying astronomy/astrophysics and work in an observatory as either a researcher or research assistant(research assistant is possible with a physics/astronomy undergrad) but I am thinking the juice is not worth the squeeze , especially at my age. Also I am not very confident in my ability to do math and my inner cynic is telling me "you are failing Calc 1 a trivial class, so how re going to survive the upper level maths required for a physics undergrad?"

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Calculus is not trivial. It is the foundational math of Physics and other sciences even Geology. You must get a handle on it and be confident of using it otherwise you will be lost in an ocean of math and science.

Have you looked to Khan Academy to bolster your understanding of the subject? I have a few other references that may help too but Khan should suit you r purposes.

Also you need to talk with your prof about your situation and get his / her advice. He / she may suggest dropping the course and retaking it after you’ve refreshed your algebra, geometry, trig and pre Calc background. Khan can help here as well.

Last edited:
Likes bhobba and symbolipoint
aspiringastronomer said:
because the Physics major "juice is not worth the squeeze" at my age(29) anyone else out there who struggled with Calculus 1 when they first took it?Hello everybody,
I am 29 and in my freshmen year as an undeclared Physics major at an American University.

A background on my journey thus far:

After I saw a display at a museum at 8, I got bit by the astrophysics/science bug. At 11 I read a book about quantum mechanics at a Barnes and Noble, which was topical but I found quantum theory fascinating. This lead to more inquiries into the nature of the universe.
Your post is very long, so I lost patience to read it.

The part in bold in the above quote: Yes, some of us struggled very much with all of our Mathematics courses, INCLUDING the required Calculus sequence of courses.

Number 1, you absolutely must be very proficient with Algebra skill and concepts. Don't let any advisors or counselors connive you into thinking you should only study each of those courses one time only. Do not let any person trick you into thinking that only your course-enrolled time counts. Both for Algebra, and Calculus (and also include Trigonometry), more than one pass-through is necessary, even if this means study on your own BEFORE you ever officially enroll in them. If then you do not pass a particular course, then you need to do some restudy/review on your own before you reenroll for the second time, so that you may ensure successful passing the course the second time.EDIT: I finally did read all of it, and gave separate responses.

Last edited:
Likes bhobba, hutchphd and jedishrfu
aspiringastronomer said:
I have always enjoyed learning physics and astronomy. Last year I was accepted into a physics program, however I took an evaluation and once again, science ticked off as a strength but my math skills ticked as one of my weaknesses. I am now seeing it, I am currently struggling with Calculus 1(the first time in my academic career that I have officially taken a calculus class which is five credits) I am also taking Physics 191 another five credit class. I understand how the mechanics work in equations once I find some familiar ground. Getting to the familiar ground however, is where I am struggling with in both classes.
How is your Algebra? What Algebra courses did you earn credit in? Did you follow the course sequencing of
  1. Introductory Algebra
  2. Intermediate Algebra
  3. College Algebra/College Algebra & Trigonometry/PreCalculus/Elementary Functions (most of these being equivalent names)
?

Likes gleem and jedishrfu
aspiringastronomer said:
my inner cynic is telling me "you are failing Calc 1 a trivial class, so how re going to survive the upper level maths required for a physics undergrad?"
No! Stop thinking that way. Calculus 1 is not trivial. You need MORE study time. You may need also more practice of it in Physics, and in whatever other courses you study which use it.

Likes PhDeezNutz, Delta2 and jedishrfu
Many times I read in your post that you didn't go well in a course because you didn't study very well. I think that's the core of your problem. Science is not a game that you take it, you leave it, and then you take it again. It demands dedication, devotion and hard work. Only then you might become good scientist.

Likes PhDeezNutz
Delta2 said:
Many times I read in your post that you didn't go well in a course because you didn't study very well. I think that's the core of your problem. Science is not a game that you take it, you leave it, and then you take it again. It demands dedication, devotion and hard work. Only then you might become good scientist.
Something there and here not to miss:
If a course is going to be difficult, and in case you may need to repeat the course
  1. You must study hard, and properly the first time, without regard to passing or not passing.
  2. In case of need to repeat officially, try to take the opportunity to review it intensely on your own before next term begins.
  3. In case of need to repeat and when you do so officially, you must study hard, and properly this "second" time.

Likes jedishrfu
aspiringastronomer said:
my freshmen year as an undeclared Physics major at an American University.
Unusual comment. Make us guess, if you want.

OP:

What I've gathered from reading your post is this: You are enamored of the grand concepts of physics, but you don't have the patience, discipline, and drive to work through the fundamentals. Physics is like many other fields: There's the fun stuff, and there's the not-so-fun stuff (what is fun and what is not-so-fun depends on the individual). But to succeed at the fun stuff, you also need to succeed at the not-so-fun stuff. That applies to geology and astronomy as well as to physics and math. So you should re-examine your attitude.

• Love
Likes PhDeezNutz, PeterDonis, bhobba and 4 others
symbolipoint said:
How is your Algebra? What Algebra courses did you earn credit in? Did you follow the course sequencing of
  1. Introductory Algebra
  2. Intermediate Algebra
  3. College Algebra/College Algebra & Trigonometry/PreCalculus/Elementary Functions (most of these being equivalent names)
?
I struggled a bit with college algebra (technical math b?) dropped it and took it again getting a low A.

Technical Math 1 I did average but I aced precalculus with trig applications, took a math hietus for two years than briefly took free online courses to shore up my knowledge because I knew cacl required it and I am bit rusty, also when when I know what I am doing I find maths and physics calming and fun.

Last edited:
aspiringastronomer said:
I struggled a bit with college algebra (technical math b?) dropped it and took it again getting a low A.

Technical Math 1 I did average but I aced precalculus with trig applications, took a math hietus for two years than briefly took free online courses to shore up my knowledge because I knew cacl required it and I am bit rusty, also when when I know what I am doing I find maths and physics calming and fun.
In the first part in the quote, you understand now what I mean. Repeated study means that you do better, as you found.

In the second part in the quote, you understand that interrupting the progression of study can be a bad thing. At least you see, too, that applying mathematical skills is often easier than trying to learn those concepts and skills.

You can easily lose your math edge after five years and then you’ll need a massive booster shot to get back what you lost maybe. I know because it happened to me. I finished my BS in Physics and went to work as a programmer as I was fearful of going off to grad school not knowing anyone who did and not wanting to burden my parents with any costs.

At five years, I decided to use the employee one course at a time program and got into a grad program in physics. It was brutal as the profs expected you to be as proficient as the recent undergrads who started the program. I couldn’t keep up initially there was a gap in my math knowledge too with Bessel functions, Laguerre… and I didn’t know them by heart As one prof expected in Quantum Mechanics. After about 17 grad credit hours I decided to pull the plug and so switched to Comp Sci and got an MS.

Likes bhobba and symbolipoint
jedishrfu said:
You can easily lose your math edge after five years and then you’ll need a massive booster shot to get back what you lost maybe. I know because it happened to me. I finished my BS in Physics and went to work as a programmer as I was fearful of going off to grad school not knowing anyone who did and not wanting to burden my parents with any costs.
EXACTLY!
(Both "like" and "informative" reaction would be nice to do.)

symbolipoint said:
Unusual comment. Make us guess, if you want.
well it was sort of a gauging statement to see if other people from foreign cultures have a different approach to physics/STEM education that is more laid back.
Also got the sarcasm in your reply

aspiringastronomer said:
well it was sort of a gauging statement to see if other people from foreign cultures have a different approach to physics/STEM education that is more laid back.
Not intended as any sarcasm: My posting there was, "Unusual comment. Make us guess, if you want."

Your post #1 said,
..., in my freshmen year as an undeclared Physics major at an American University.

"Physics Major", means you either are "declared" as such officially, or maybe you have not yet officially declared this but strongly intend to do so.

Maybe you declared some other major field of study, but you feel likely or want to change it, in the official sense. Maybe you have not yet declared an official major field to your school's/universities counseling or admissions office, but are preparing some Mathematics and Physics study to see how it goes, before you then visit the admissions office to declare your major.

By itself, saying you are "an undeclared Physics major" does not make good sense. If you declare your major as Physics, then you are a Physics major. If you are not a declared Physics major, even if you say "undeclared Physics major", then you are not in fact a Physics major. We can guess what you mean, but your telling us just what you mean may be better. Maybe this is just much thought and talk about what does not really need much discussion. OR, maybe your university does not offer an option to Declare Physics as a Major? This could be a possibility for some schools, I guess.

I feel that knowing what you really meant may be interesting.

aspiringastronomer said:
What I really should have posted was, "what do you really mean by 'undeclared Physics major' "?

I am always fascinated when the people say what they did/knew/tried to calculate at some early age. Really. Coming from a family that the majority didn't finish the school and studying at an avarage low school (my grandma still think i am doing a physical education major, i tried to explain that it is physics, not physical education, but it didn't work lmao), i just discovered what physics was at something like 15 years old :v.

The only thing i can say is that at my 8 old i was 1 year older than when i was 7 years old

symbolipoint said:
What I really should have posted was, "what do you really mean by 'undeclared Physics major' "?
I am taking classes towards a physics major but have not officially declared a major yet. I am just seeing if I have the basic skills to go further in physics and if it truly is my path in life. Sorry for the misunderstanding, I am used to being trolled on forums.

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint

1. What are some common reasons for struggling in freshman year of Physics at university?

Some common reasons for struggling in freshman year of Physics at university include a lack of foundational knowledge, difficulty adjusting to the pace and rigor of university-level courses, and inadequate study habits.

2. How can I improve my grades in Physics during freshman year?

Some ways to improve grades in Physics during freshman year include seeking help from professors or teaching assistants, forming study groups with classmates, and actively engaging in class lectures and discussions.

3. What resources are available for struggling students in freshman year of Physics?

Most universities offer resources such as tutoring services, study groups, and academic support centers for struggling students in freshman year of Physics. Additionally, professors and teaching assistants are often available for one-on-one help during office hours.

4. Is it normal to struggle in freshman year of Physics at university?

Yes, it is normal to struggle in freshman year of Physics at university. Many students find the transition from high school to university to be challenging, and Physics is a difficult subject for many. It is important to seek help and stay determined to improve.

5. How can I stay motivated and avoid falling behind in my freshman year of Physics?

To stay motivated and avoid falling behind in freshman year of Physics, it is important to set realistic goals, stay organized, and manage your time effectively. Additionally, seeking help when needed and staying engaged in class can help you stay on track and motivated.