Register to reply

Unusual observations any sensible answers?

by Caniche
Tags: answers, observations, unusual
Share this thread:
Caniche
Oct18-11, 03:15 PM
P: 106
Any ideas what process/material could be responsible for a uniform blue/violet film deposited on the copper components of a domestic pond pump. (never occurred before, no new ;fauna/flora: food :treatments introduced ,rainwater fed )Just wondering what could have changed and how ,any thoughts much appreciated .
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Incorporation of DOPA into engineered mussel glue proteins
Separation of para and ortho water
Chemists modify antibiotic to vanquish resistant bacteria
Borek
Oct19-11, 03:31 AM
Admin
P: 23,731
Copper compounds are blue/green in general, so the color is not that surprising (although if it is in a pond I would expect something closer to green).

How long did it take for a color to develop? And how long was the pump in contact with water?

Not that I have any ideas, I am just poking with questions.
Caniche
Oct19-11, 01:00 PM
Cheers Borek. Not the colour of any copper compound I've ever come across ,indeed strikingly different hence the question.
The pump has been operating for 9 years and requires regular cleaning to remove organic debris from impeller blades. Roughly two weeks from the last clean prompted as usual by around two days of reduced flow so some heat build up but neither significant or unusual.
Water level has dropped in the last two weeks by around 5% due to drought but again this is not an irregular event.Any thoughts?

Borek
Oct19-11, 02:12 PM
Admin
P: 23,731
Unusual observations any sensible answers?

No idea.

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps new kinds of algae/bacteria can be transported into the pool by whatever means (birds, dust, whatever), I seem to recall similar case that I read about few years ago. Even then it would be rather surprising to see them on the copper.

Have you touched it? Is it slimy, or does it feel like just a coloration of the copper itself?
Caniche
Oct19-11, 04:08 PM
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
No idea.

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps new kinds of algae/bacteria can be transported into the pool by whatever means (birds, dust, whatever), I seem to recall similar case that I read about few years ago. Even then it would be rather surprising to see them on the copper.

Have you touched it? Is it slimy, or does it feel like just a coloration of the copper itself?
Everything in the pond is a tad slimy But just a deposit ,easily rubbed off with a thumb.
Considered the bird foot introduction possibility ,but no physical evidence of new mollusc population.

Register to reply