Need help with complex integral

by Samuelb88
Tags: complex, integral
Share this thread:
Samuelb88
Nov3-11, 12:45 AM
P: 162
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Let C be a loop around [itex]\pi/2[/itex]. Find the value of [itex]\frac{1}{2\pi i} \int_C \frac{\sin(z)}{(z-\pi/2)^3} dz[/itex].

2. Relevant equations
Thm: If f is analytic in its simply connected domain D, and C is a simply closed positively oriented loop that lies in D, and if z lies in the inside of C, then [itex]f^{(n)}(z_0) = \frac{(n-1)!}{2 \pi i} \int_C \frac{f(w)}{(w-z_0)^n} dw[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
Let [itex]f(z) = \sin(z)[/itex] which is analytic for every [itex]z \in \mathbb{C}[/itex]. We can parametrize C by [itex]z(t) = e^{it}[/itex] and so C is a simply closed positively oriented curve. So I can apply my theorem to find the value of this integral. Hence:

[itex]\frac{1}{2 \pi i} \int_C \frac{\sin(z)}{(z-\pi/2)^3} dz = \frac{1}{2!} \frac{d^2}{dx^2} \sin(z) \Big|_{z=\pi/2} = -\frac{1}{2} \sin(\pi/2) = -\frac{1}{2}[/itex]

I checked my answer against Wolfram Alpha which says the integral is equal to 0! Am I applying the theorem incorrectly? I can't figure out what's wrong.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
CompuChip
Nov3-11, 02:19 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 4,300
Are you sure that [itex]z_0 = \pi / 2[/itex] is inside your curve [itex]z(t) = e^{it}[/itex]?
Samuelb88
Nov3-11, 09:40 AM
P: 162
Opps! I would need to use [itex]z(t) = \pi/2 + e^{it}[/itex], but shouldn't I still be able to apply my theorem to find that the integral is equal to -1/2? Wolfram is still giving me an output of 0.

CompuChip
Nov3-11, 04:57 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 4,300
Need help with complex integral

Hmm, you are right, I thought that it would give you sin(pi/2 + (pi/2 + 0)).

OK, let me try again: what is the value of n?

Register to reply