Center of mass of spherical shell inside of cone (Apostol Problem).

zenterix
Homework Statement
A homogenous spherical shell of radius ##a## is cut by one nappe of a right circular cone whose vertex is at the center of the sphere. If the vertex angle of the cone is ##\alpha##, where ##0<\alpha<\pi##, determine (in terms of ##a## and ##\alpha## the center of mass of the portion of the spherical shell that lies inside the cone.
Relevant Equations
##\iint_S f(x,y,z)dS##
I am asking this question because my solution does not seem to match the solution at the end of the book (Apostol Vol II, section 12.10, problem 9).

Here is my attempt to solve this problem.

If our coordinate system is chosen such that the z-axis lines up with the axis of the cone then by symmetry the ##x## and ##y## coordinates of the center of mass will both be zero.

All that is left is to calculate the z-coordinate of the center of mass.

Using spherical coordinates, the cone is ##\theta=\alpha/2## and the sphere is ##\rho=a##.

The parameterized equation for the sphere is ##\vec{r}=\langle a\sin{\theta}\cos{\phi}, a\sin{\theta}\sin{\phi}a\cos{\theta}\rangle##.

The portion inside the cone is the red area below

1698899239437.png

Just to be clear about the coordinate system, I am using spherical coordinates defined as follows

1698899257952.png

Now, the spherical shell has a constant density of ##d(x,y,z)=\frac{M}{4\pi a^2}##.

Let's define ##f(x,y,z)=z\cdot d(x,y,z)##.

Then our calculation of ##z_{cm}## is

$$z_{cm}=\frac{\int\int_S f(x,y,z) dS}{\int\int_S d(x,y,z)dS}$$

$$=\frac{\int\int_S f(\vec{r}(\theta,\phi))\cdot \lVert \frac{d\vec{r}}{d\theta}\times\frac{d\vec{r}}{d\phi} \rVert d\theta d\phi}{\int\int_S d(\vec{r}(\theta,\phi)) \lVert \frac{d\vec{r}}{d\theta}\times\frac{d\vec{r}}{d\phi} \rVert d\theta d\phi}$$

The denominator is

$$\frac{M}{4\pi a^2}\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^{\alpha/2} a^2\sin{\theta}d\theta d\phi$$

$$=\frac{M(1-\cos{(\alpha/2)}}{2}$$

And the numerator is

$$\frac{M}{4\pi a^2}a^3\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^{\alpha/2} \sin{\theta}\cos{\theta} d\theta d\phi$$

$$=\frac{Ma\sin^2{(\alpha/2)}}{4}$$

Thus when we put numerator and denominator together we get

$$\frac{\frac{Ma\sin^2{(\alpha/2)}}{4}}{\frac{M(1-\cos{(\alpha/2)}}{2}}$$

$$=\frac{a\sin^2{(\alpha/2)}}{2(1-\cos{(\alpha/2)})}$$

However, it seems that either I have made a mistake or the solutions manual is wrong, because they have the answer

On the axis of the cone, at a distance ##\frac{1}{4}a\frac{1-\cos{\alpha}}{1-\cos{(\alpha/2)}}## from the center of the sphere.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with the formula for the cosine of a double angle ##\cos(2x) = \ldots##?

Likes zenterix
Orodruin said:
Are you familiar with the formula for the cosine of a double angle ##\cos(2x) = \ldots##?
Ah yes, that is indeed the solution to my woes.

1698903446829.png

I will say that your expression looks tidier. The given expression likely originated from using that ##\sin(\theta)\cos(\theta) = \sin(2\theta)/2## before integration.

Likes zenterix

What is the problem of finding the center of mass of a spherical shell inside of a cone?

The problem involves determining the location of the center of mass of a spherical shell that is positioned inside of a cone. This is a classic physics problem that requires knowledge of geometry and calculus to solve.

How is the center of mass of a spherical shell inside of a cone calculated?

The center of mass of a spherical shell inside of a cone is calculated by integrating the mass of each infinitesimally small element of the shell with respect to its distance from the center of the cone. This integral is then divided by the total mass of the shell to find the center of mass.

What are the key steps in solving the Apostol Problem of finding the center of mass of a spherical shell inside of a cone?

The key steps in solving the Apostol Problem include setting up the integral for the center of mass, determining the mass of each infinitesimal element of the shell, finding the limits of integration, and evaluating the integral to find the location of the center of mass.

What are the assumptions made in solving the problem of finding the center of mass of a spherical shell inside of a cone?

Assumptions made in solving this problem typically include assuming the spherical shell is uniform in density, neglecting any external forces acting on the system, and treating the cone as a solid object with a known geometry.

What are some real-world applications of understanding the center of mass of a spherical shell inside of a cone?

Understanding the center of mass of a spherical shell inside of a cone can be useful in various engineering and physics applications, such as designing structures with balanced weight distribution, analyzing the stability of objects with irregular shapes, and predicting the motion of objects in gravitational fields.