Can pneumatic lines be laid under ground

In summary, the workers are laying Pneumatic lines underground and they are covered with concrete. The lines are used to power certain pneumatic tools and it is possible to do that. If there are any leakages, they will be pressure tested before being set in. However, it is still an awkward experience because we have tens of thousands of miles of underground gas pipelines.
RKD89
Hi
I noticed that certain workers were laying Pneumatic lines underground ( the lines will be covered with concrete) in a factory.
I have no idea how much the pressure would be , or what safety precautions they are undertaking.
The lines are used to power certain pneumatic tools ( Torque guns ).
Is it possible to do that?
What if there are any leakages?
Is it a malpractice?

Engineering news on Phys.org
RKD89 said:
Hi
I noticed that certain workers were laying Pneumatic lines underground ( the lines will be covered with concrete) in a factory.
I have no idea how much the pressure would be , or what safety precautions they are undertaking.
The lines are used to power certain pneumatic tools ( Torque guns ).
Is it possible to do that?
What if there are any leakages?
Is it a malpractice?

I don't see why it would be a problem but I am not knowledgeable of such things.

It's not the same thing but it is common to embed pex pipe in concrete floors to run water through for heating.

It's not very practical if there is a leak, but they would likely be pressure tested before being set in.

Why do you think it would be malpractice?

Well, for one I have never seen pneumatic lines under ground.
But I guess it won't be so bad, air is not flammable , and we have gas lines underground.

Still feels awkward though .

There are tens of thousands of miles of underground natural gas, hydrogen gas and liquified gas pipelines in the US and throughout the world. Underground and under concrete gasseous piping is very common, even for flammable gas.

xxChrisxx said:
It's not very practical if there is a leak, but they would likely be pressure tested before being set in.
Well, the nice thing about embedding it in concrete is that you won't get leaks. It's immune to disturbance, wear or anything else that might spawn a leak.

Thanks Guys...I was being Naive I guess

Not naive, just learning...

1. What are pneumatic lines and what are they used for?

Pneumatic lines are a type of pipeline that uses compressed air or gas to transport materials. They are commonly used in industries such as manufacturing, transportation, and construction for tasks such as powering tools, moving materials, and controlling machinery.

2. Can pneumatic lines be laid underground?

Yes, pneumatic lines can be laid underground. In fact, they are often buried to protect them from external elements and to minimize potential accidents. However, proper planning and installation techniques are necessary to ensure their safety and efficiency.

3. What considerations should be taken into account when laying pneumatic lines underground?

When laying pneumatic lines underground, factors such as soil type, depth, and temperature fluctuations must be considered. The type of materials being transported and the pressure requirements should also be taken into account to determine the appropriate size and material for the pipeline.

4. Are there any safety risks associated with laying pneumatic lines underground?

Yes, there are some safety risks associated with laying pneumatic lines underground. These include potential damage to the pipeline during excavation, leaks or ruptures due to external forces or corrosion, and risks of explosions or fires if the compressed air or gas is not properly controlled.

5. How can the integrity of underground pneumatic lines be ensured?

The integrity of underground pneumatic lines can be ensured through regular maintenance and inspections. This includes monitoring for any signs of damage, leaks, or corrosion, as well as implementing proper safety measures and protocols for excavation and construction activities near the pipeline.