Register to reply

Why all these prejudices against a constant? ( dark energy is a fake probem)

Share this thread:
Harv
Nov14-11, 05:30 PM
P: 9
Quote Quote by smoit View Post
The Casimir effect clearly shows that the quantum contributions, which we can compute and measure do, in fact, gravitate

But we can't verify the coupling of gravity directly to the individual loops involved in these quantum contributions.
smoit
Nov14-11, 06:58 PM
P: 72
Quote Quote by Harv View Post
But we can't verify the coupling of gravity directly to the individual loops involved in these quantum contributions.
The shift in the electrostatic energy due to vacuum polarization (experimentally measured in the Lamb shift) contributes an amount large enough that, in case if it did not gravitate, would violate the equivalence principle to a precision of one part in a million. However, we can experimentally verify the equivalence principle to a precision of one part in 1012 and therefore these loops must couple to gravity.
Fra
Nov15-11, 03:11 AM
P: 2,799
The shift in the electrostatic energy due to vacuum polarization (experimentally measured in the Lamb shift) contributes an amount large enough that, in case if it did not gravitate, would violate the equivalence principle to a precision of one part in a million. However, we can experimentally verify the equivalence principle to a precision of one part in 1012 and therefore these loops must couple to gravity.
I'm not sure if you refer to some new experiments I'm unaware of but I think it's still important to note which domains to theory space where certain "principles" are tested. Ingoring that is one of the things I find most disturbing, extrapolations of "evidence" into new domains are often made without much argument. This is exactly what people also do with things that are well tested for PARTICLE physics which usually means the observer is in a classical laboratory and the system is a very small subsystem. Inferences from such situations just don't generalize to cosmological scenarios. This fact is often ignored on grounds that "such extrapolations worked in the past".

I suspect the 10^12 test you refer to is the classical mechanics test of the torsion pendulum, right?

If there really experiments made that verifies the equivalence principle for actual lamb shift, that would be news for me. I think it's in principle testable, but the problem is as far a I know that the gravitational field on earth is too weak to yield much of a significant possibility to test it here?

But I do not follow all new experiemtns, if someone konws of an actual test of the equivalence principle for lamb shifted systems I would be interested to read about how the experiment was conducted. I have seen some old papers where it was "in principle testable" was devicded, but the conclusion was that in practice it wasn't becaues hte gravity on earth is so weak.

I'm not sure if some astronomic observations of lambshifted systems near more massive bodies is possible? I'm not sure how that would be done.

/Fredrik
smoit
Nov15-11, 10:31 AM
@Fra, Here is a reference that is the most referred in the literature but you'd have to go to your library to actually read it: http://slac.stanford.edu/spires/find...ww?irn=6818293

Please, read very carefully what I said in my previous comment b/c your response indicated that you had misunderstood it.
Harv
Nov15-11, 05:31 PM
P: 9

I looked at Polchinski's paper and understand now why you're right. Thanks.
smoit
Nov15-11, 05:53 PM
@Harv, no problem! Joe's article is good and pretty much sums up the current situation. I saw his talk on this topic at KITP back in 2006, you can find it here if you're curious: http://online.itp.ucsb.edu/online/st...06/polchinski/
Haelfix
Nov16-11, 07:01 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,685
I'd say that the CC problem is definitely a UV problem because we are dealing with a highly relevant operator so you cannot ignore all the extra degrees of freedom arising in the UV.
Yea tis true, thats why I qualified my statement. For the nonexperts, what this means in practise is that you need to know all the fields and matter all the way up to the Planck scale, as they will all contribute (naively increasing in magnitude, not necessarily in sign) contributions to the total constant. You can't ignore them. This is also why no first principles solution to the problem exists and probably never will exist (absent the discovery of some highly constraining mechanism or symmetry).

However I think I am correct in pointing out that the apparent magnitude of the problem occurs b/c of the scales mismatch, which is essentially set by the infrared physics.
where the first non-vanishing term is quadratic in the cutoff, the first non-vanishing contribution to the 10D vacuum energy comes at order Str(M8SUSY)M2string, where MSUSY is the scale of SUSY breaking.
Yep thats interesting, but I don't quite understand these constructions. What is MSusy specifically here (is it arbitrary)? Also, why wouldn't the mechanism that generates these nonperturbative corrections at the low energy scale (in the language of the effective field theory) not also generate unwanted and observable KK states?

As far as numerology goes. I like the following two observations as well. If you take the cutoff to be the mass of the lightest neutrino, the scales match. Another weird coincidence... The supersymmetry breaking scale seems to be exactly halfway (on a logarithmic scale) between the vacuum energy scale and the Planck scale. Why?
smoit
Nov16-11, 12:07 PM
Quote Quote by Haelfix View Post
Yep thats interesting, but I don't quite understand these constructions. What is MSusy specifically here (is it arbitrary)? Also, why wouldn't the mechanism that generates these nonperturbative corrections at the low energy scale (in the language of the effective field theory) not also generate unwanted and observable KK states?
By MSUSY I just denoted a generic scale of level spacing. Its value should be related to the string scale, I think, since SUSY is broken at the string scale in this construction.
That's why I did not really want to identify MSUSY with the scale obtained in some 4D EFT from the soft breaking but the numerology looks cute
You probably mean perturbative instead on non-perturbative, right? This computation is in 10D, so there are no KK states involved. That said, at such extremely short distances even in a compactified 4D vacuum all the KK modes become light and the theory does effectively become 10 or maybe 11 dimensional. I think that what one really needs here for a realistic computation is to translate soft SUSY breaking in some 4D EFT into the splittings in the entire string spectrum and then compute the one-loop partition function. My hunch is that the scale of the boson-fermion splitting in the string levels would be related to the gravitino mass scale instead of the string scale and the result of the computation may actually give the correct order of magnitude. What was really neat for me to learn was that the finiteness of the CC in a non-tachyonic non-SUSY string theory is guaranteed by the modular invariance, despite the presence of an infinite tower of contributions in the UV. Here is a nice reference where you can read about these ideas: http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/hep-th/pdf/9503/9503055v2.pdf
Fra
Nov17-11, 03:39 AM
@Fra, Here is a reference that is the most referred in the literature but you'd have to go to your library to actually read it: http://slac.stanford.edu/spires/find...ww?irn=6818293

Please, read very carefully what I said in my previous comment b/c your response indicated that you had misunderstood it.
Smoit thanks for the link. I haven't read it but that indeed looks like the classical paper I also thought you meant. It could well be that I didn't get your point at all, in that case I'm sorry.

Anyway my point was this: That paper tests WEP to one part in 10^12, but it's all classical mechanics (torsion balance) and relatively speaking macroscopic classical systems (which is dominated by baryonic mass) with classical measurements.

Thus I question the validity of that test when applied to situations where the classical mechanics framework just don't hold. Also just as a ballpark number it seems the contribution of lamb shift to the classical level mass is the order of 1 in 10^15 or so? Which seems to be beyond hte level os current experimental tests?

So I didn't quite get how that classical mechanics test of WEP for 1 part in 10^12 gives any information about the the nature loop corrections in general (which then of course goes outside classical mechanics)?

Perhasp I'm missing something, could you explain?

/Fredrik
Fra
Nov17-11, 09:30 AM
Trying to make sure I understand the logic, let me know if I get it wrong:
such individual quantum contributions do gravitate and once they are all added up the total zero-point energy should still gravitate
Are you suggesting that (when considering the origin of mass) since the idea is that the actual classical masses (such as those in the 1971 torsion balance experiment) are largely made up of confined energy such as confined virtual gluons etc, therefore the conclusion is that all such "virtual energies" as infered by all observers(?) must contribute equally to both inertial and gravitatonal mass?

/Fredrik
smoit
Nov17-11, 11:25 AM
Quote Quote by Fra View Post
Also just as a ballpark number it seems the contribution of lamb shift to the classical level mass is the order of 1 in 10^15 or so? Which seems to be beyond hte level os current experimental tests?
I'm not sure where you obtained this ballpark number. I suggest you read page 3 in arxiv.org/PS_cache/hep-th/pdf/0603/0603249v2.pdf.

So I didn't quite get how that classical mechanics test of WEP for 1 part in 10^12 gives any information about the the nature loop corrections in general (which then of course goes outside classical mechanics)?

Perhasp I'm missing something, could you explain?

/Fredrik
If you are questioning how one can measure quantum effects by classical means than you should read a book or take a class in quantum mechanics. The whole reason for inventing quantum mechanics in the first place was the experimental results which could not be explained by classical physics, e.g. the discrete atomic spectra, etc. It seems as though you are questioning the ability to measure quantum effects by classical instruments and I suggest that you simply create a separate thread with the appropriate title to carry on the discussion there.
smoit
Nov17-11, 11:39 AM
Trying to make sure I understand the logic, let me know if I get it wrong:

Are you suggesting that (when considering the origin of mass) since the idea is that the actual classical masses (such as those in the 1971 torsion balance experiment) are largely made up of confined energy such as confined virtual gluons etc, therefore the conclusion is that all such "virtual energies" as infered by all observers(?) must contribute equally to both inertial and gravitatonal mass?

/Fredrik
I said nothing about virtual gluons and their contributions to the rest mass of baryons b/c I didn't want to get into discussing lattice QCD results for hardon masses but yes, virtual gluon loops do contribute a significant portion of a baryon's inertial mass and such effects are much more significant than the virtual photon loops Polchinski talks about.
RUTA
Nov19-11, 10:03 AM
P: 669
I read the Bianchi & Rovelli paper as well as Chap VIII.2 “The Cosmological Constant Problem and the Cosmic Coincidence Problem” in Zee, Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell, Princeton Univ Press, 2003 (p 434). I do not find any disagreement regarding the facts, only their reactions thereto. For example:

B&R write, “But to claim that dark energy represents a profound mystery, is, in our opinion, nonsense.” In contrast, Zee introduces this subject by saying, “I now come to the most egregious paradox of present day physics.”

Regarding the coincidence problem, B&R write, “it is quite reasonable that humans exist during those 10 or so billions years (sic) when [tex]\Omega_b[/tex] and [tex]\Omega_\Lambda[/tex] are within a few orders of magnitude from each other.” In contrast, Zee writes, “the epoch when [tex]\rho_M \sim \Lambda[/tex] happens to be when galaxy formation has been largely completed. Very bizarre!”

Both agree that (per B&R) “There is no known way to derive the tiny cosmological constant that plays a role in cosmology from particle physics. And there is no understanding of why this constant is not renormalized to a high value.” B&R’s reaction to this fact is, “But this does not means (sic) that there is something mysterious in the cosmological constant itself: it means that there is something we do not understand yet in particle physics.” While Zee writes, “But Nature has a big surprise for us. While theorists racked their brains trying to come up with a convincing argument that [tex]\Lambda = 0[/tex] observational cosmologists steadily refined their measurements and recently changed their upper bound to an approximate equality [tex]\Lambda \sim (10^{-3} \mbox{ev})^4!!![/tex] The cosmological constant paradox deepens.”

In short, the B&R paper merely argues for a particular emotional reaction to the situation regarding the cosmological constant in physics and cosmology. I would be surprised to see this paper published in a physics journal, since it does not expand upon our knowledge of physics. However, the paper’s use of a timely topic to highlight one aspect of our failure to unify the Standard Model with gravity is not without value. I could see this included in the proceedings for a philosophy of science symposium, for example. It would also be appropriate for a pedagogical journal in physics. It certainly motivated me to look more deeply into the issue. Thanks for posting this, marcus.

Edit: I'm trying to figure out how to use TeX in PF. Obviously, I haven't found an "in line" tex command yet.
juanrga
Nov19-11, 12:19 PM
P: 476
Quote Quote by tom.stoer View Post
The cosmological constant becomes a mistery as soon as you do not write it on the left hand = "the gravity" side of the equations

[tex]R_{\mu\nu} - \frac{1}{2} g_{\mu\nu} R + \Lambda g_{\mu\nu} = \frac{8\pi G}{c^4}T_{\mu\nu}[/tex]

but it you write it on the right hand = "the matter" side.

[tex]R_{\mu\nu} - \frac{1}{2} g_{\mu\nu} R = \frac{8\pi G}{c^4}T_{\mu\nu} - \Lambda g_{\mu\nu}[/tex]

In vacuum (with T=0) you still have some kind of "matter" which affects spacetime:

[tex]R_{\mu\nu} - \frac{1}{2} g_{\mu\nu} R = - \Lambda g_{\mu\nu}[/tex]

If you leave this term on the left hand side, the question where it comes from and why it is there, is still open, but it is not a qustion about matter, dark energy or something like that; it is a question about gravity.
Sorry but a mystery does not disappear by moving a term, from the right to the left, on the same equation.

is just so problematic as

[tex]R_{\mu\nu} - \frac{1}{2} g_{\mu\nu} R + \Lambda g_{\mu\nu} = 0[/tex]
marcus
Nov19-11, 12:50 PM
Astronomy
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 23,235
Quote Quote by juanrga View Post
Sorry but a mystery does not disappear by moving a term, from the right to the left, on the same equation.

is just so problematic as

[tex]R_{\mu\nu} - \frac{1}{2} g_{\mu\nu} R + \Lambda g_{\mu\nu} = 0[/tex]
Wait Juan I don't think you grasped Tom's point! It is quite a valid one if you are familiar with the custom in General Relativity of writing the equation geometry (e.g. curvature terms) on the left and matter terms on the right.

Lambda is a curvature constant and occurs naturally and unsurprisingly in the geometry LHS
(since as Einstein observed early on, it is allowed by the symmetries of the theory).

You only make a puzzle out of it if you consider this natural curvature term to be "matter", and symbolize this by moving it to the RHS of the equation.

If you make this mistake then you baffle your self with asking "Now what could this matter be???!!"

As Tom pointed out the constant curvature term Lambda is analogous to a constant of integration---that you are taught in beginning Calculus class to put in the answer when you integrate. It must be there because it is allowed by the conditions of the problem.
marcus
Nov19-11, 01:27 PM
Astronomy
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 23,235
Quote Quote by RUTA View Post
In short, the B&R paper merely argues for a particular emotional reaction to the situation regarding the cosmological constant in physics and cosmology. I would be surprised to see this paper published in a physics journal, since it does not expand upon our knowledge of physics. However, the paper’s use of a timely topic to highlight one aspect of our failure to unify the Standard Model with gravity is not without value. I could see this included in the proceedings for a philosophy of science symposium, for example. It would also be appropriate for a pedagogical journal in physics. It certainly motivated me to look more deeply into the issue. Thanks for posting this, marcus.
I think B&R state clearly at the outset that their purpose is to debunk the hype. The paper is aimed at fellow physicists who describe the "cosmological constant problem" in exaggerated language.

They give some examples of this near-hysterical rhetoric right the start of the paper. That is clearly the target.

I think that too much hype tends to damage the prestige and credibility of physics. Physicists have been shouting "wolf" or "fire" or "recreating the big bang" and "theory of everything!" so much that the educated audience has gotten into the habit of discounting what they say as attention-getting rubbish.

Since the intended audience of the paper is other physicists, particle physicists primarily I would say, I can't imagine why they would want to publish it in a philosophical or pedagogical journal. It is a warning to tone down the exaggerated rhetoric.

As such, the arxiv is a good place to post it. Or else possibly in the opinion section of a magazine like Physics Today. It's not a research or review article, after all. But why bother, since arxiv is already a perfect outlet?

I was amused by Smoit pointing out that the article had not been published in a peer-review journal, as if this were a criticism. Rovelli has over 14,000 cites to his over 200 professional articles. He hardly needs to try to peer-publish everything he writes to bolster his trackrecord. Since this piece is primarily advice to fellow physicists to sober-up and cut the hype for the good of the field, I actually doubt it has been submitted anywhere. Arxiv is the perfect place to reach those who are able to get the message.
RUTA
Nov19-11, 01:55 PM
P: 669
Zee's response to the facts presented in his text and B&R's paper is that they constitute "the most egregious paradox of present day physics." Why would B&R expect to change that reaction by simply rehashing what is known? Therefore, I would say this paper can only expect to find a sympathetic audience among those not familiar with the technical aspects of the issue, i.e., it's a pedagogical piece.
simplicial
Nov19-11, 02:56 PM
P: 1
Some other comments on the dark energy problem.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...l/466321a.html

NATURE | NEWS AND VIEWS
Cosmology forum: Is dark energy really a mystery?
Bianchi, Rovelli, Kolb

Nature 466, 321–322 (15 July 2010)
doi:10.1038/466321a

The Universe is expanding. And the expansion seems to be speeding up. To account for that acceleration, a mysterious factor, 'dark energy', is often invoked. A contrary opinion — that this factor isn't at all mysterious — is here given voice, along with counter-arguments against that view.

Register to reply