Electromagnetic Four-Vector for Uniformly Moving Charge

In summary, the electric potential for a uniform velocity charge located at the origin becomes simply Q/R where R is NOT the retarded position, but actually the current position.
ApplePion
The general formula for the electromagnetic four-vector produced by a moving charge is the Lienard Wiechert formula, which involves the retarded position of the charge. However, in the special case where the motion of the charge is a uniform velocity motion, the result becomes extremely simple, with the retarded position no longer appearing. For example, the electric potential for a uniform velocity charge located at the origin becomes simply Q/R where R is NOT the retarded position, but actually the current position.

I need to convince someone of this, and it is unlikely he can be convinced by me calculating it for him. Can anyone supply me with a specific reference from a "respected" source where the result is clear. The actual physics calculation need not be clear--I am not really trying to reason with the person as much as to show him that some respected source agrees with me.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try Jackson, Classical Electrodynamics. Of course, the solution with the Lienard-Wiechert potentials (retarded propagator) is the same as Lorentz boosting the Coulomb field of a point charge at rest to the frame where it is moving with constant velocity.

Thanks Vanhees.

Your derivation is absolutely correct. There are actually two (or more) ways to derive it, with your way being the best because it is simple and intuitive. There is also a brute force way by just substituting into the Lienard Wiechert formula.

As far as I can tell, Jackson actually does not do it. Griffiths does it using the brute force method, and is not as clear as I would like it to have been.

So I am still looking for a "convincing" source.

Another very nice book is

F. Rohrlich, Classical Charged Particles, World Scientific

It gives a comprehensive overview of "microscopic" classical electrodynamics, including a convincing treatment of the self-consistency problem ("radiation reaction") for accelerated charges, interacting with their own electromagnetic field.

Franklin's 'Classical Electromagnetism' derives the E field for constant velocity in Sec. 15.3, and shows that this result is equivalent to the L-W field in Sec. 15.4.3.

1. What is an electromagnetic four-vector?

An electromagnetic four-vector is a mathematical representation of the electromagnetic field that describes the electric and magnetic components of a moving charge. It includes both the electric and magnetic field vectors, as well as the time component, and is used in relativity to describe the behavior of charged particles in motion.

2. How does the electromagnetic four-vector describe a moving charge?

The electromagnetic four-vector describes a moving charge by taking into account the effects of special relativity. It accounts for the way that the electric and magnetic fields change as an observer moves relative to a charged particle, and allows us to accurately predict the behavior of the particle at different velocities.

3. What is the significance of a uniformly moving charge in the electromagnetic four-vector?

A uniformly moving charge is important in the electromagnetic four-vector because it allows us to simplify the equations and focus on the fundamental behavior of the electromagnetic field. In a uniformly moving charge, the velocity is constant and there are no acceleration effects, making it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of the electromagnetic field.

4. How does the electromagnetic four-vector relate to Maxwell's equations?

The electromagnetic four-vector is derived from Maxwell's equations, which are a set of fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. By combining the equations for electric and magnetic fields, we can create the electromagnetic four-vector and use it to accurately describe the behavior of charged particles in motion.

5. What are some real-world applications of the electromagnetic four-vector?

The electromagnetic four-vector has many practical applications, such as in particle accelerators, where it is used to predict the behavior of charged particles at high speeds. It is also used in the development of technologies such as MRI machines and particle detectors, and plays a crucial role in our understanding of the behavior of light and other forms of electromagnetic radiation.