Work to move a point charge from infinity to the centre of a charge distribution

LeoJakob
Electrostatic potential $$ \Phi(\vec{r})=k \int \mathrm{d}^{3} r \frac{\rho\left(\vec{r}^{\prime}\right)}{\left|\vec{r}-\vec{r}^{\prime}\right|} (i) $$ with $$ k=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}} $$ in SI units.
What work is required to move a point charge q from infinity to the center of the through $$ \rho(\vec{r})=\rho_{0}\mathrm{e}^{-a r} (ii) $$ given charge distribution, where $$ a \text{ and } \rho_{0} $$ are constants? Work in Gaussian units.

To solve the problem I would use spherical coordiantes. The potential only depends on the radial difference between the charge q with position
$$\vec{r} = r\hat{e}_r \text{ and the location vector of the charge distribution element } \vec{r'} = r' \hat{e}_r \text{ such that }\\
\left|\vec{r}-\vec{r'}\right| = \sqrt{(r-r')^2}
$$

$$\text{Define } \Phi(\infty)=0 \text{ then the work is given by } W= q \Phi(\vec r)=q \Phi(r)$$

$$W= q\Phi(\vec{r})=k \int \mathrm{d}^{3} r' \frac{\rho\left(\vec{r}^{\prime}\right)}{\left|\vec{r}-\vec{r}^{\prime}\right|}= \int \mathrm{d}^{3} r' \frac{\rho(r^{\prime})}{\sqrt{(r-r')^2}}=4\pi\int \limits_\infty^0 (r')^3 \frac{\rho(r^{\prime})}{\sqrt{(r-r')^2}}dr^{\prime}$$

The factor 4pi comes from the integration in spherical coordinates and k=1 in Gaussian units.

Is my approach right?

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume the 3 in $$4\pi\int \limits_\infty^0 (r')^3 \frac{\rho(r^{\prime})}{\sqrt{(r-r')^2}}dr^{\prime}$$is a typo ?

I don't agree with
LeoJakob said:
the potential only depends on the radial difference between the charge q with position

And certainly not with ##\left |\vec{r}-\vec{r}^{\prime}\right| = {\sqrt{(r-r')^2}}##

However -- fortunately -- you are only interested in ##\vec r=\vec 0##, so if you fill that in in ##(i)## you're allright.

##\ ##

Likes LeoJakob
BvU said:
I assume the 3 in $$4\pi\int \limits_\infty^0 (r')^3 \frac{\rho(r^{\prime})}{\sqrt{(r-r')^2}}dr^{\prime}$$is a typo ?

I don't agree withAnd certainly not with ##\left |\vec{r}-\vec{r}^{\prime}\right| = {\sqrt{(r-r')^2}}##

However -- fortunately -- you are only interested in ##\vec r=\vec 0##, so if you fill that in in ##(i)## you're allright.

##\ ##
First of all: Thanks for taking the time to answer me :)

the 3 in $$4\pi\int \limits_\infty^0 (r')^3 \frac{\rho(r^{\prime})}{\sqrt{(r-r')^2}}dr^{\prime}$$is a typo because:

$$W= q\Phi(\vec{r})=k \int \mathrm{d}^{3} r' \frac{\rho\left(\vec{r}^{\prime}\right)}{\left|\vec{r}-\vec{r}^{\prime}\right|}=\int \limits_{0}^{2 \pi} \int \limits_{0}^{\pi} \int \limits_{\infty}^{0} \frac{p\left(r^{\prime}\right)}{\left|\vec{r}-\vec{r}^{\prime}\right|}(\sin \theta) \cdot\left(r^{\prime}\right)^{2} d r^{\prime} d \theta d \phi \\ =\int \limits_{0}^{2 \pi} d \phi \int \limits_{0}^{\pi} \sin \theta d \theta \int \limits_{\infty}^{0}\left(r^{\prime}\right)^{2} \frac{\rho \left(r^{\prime}\right)}{\left|\vec{r}-\vec{r}^{\prime}\right|} d r^{\prime} =4\pi\int \limits_\infty^0 (r')^2 \frac{\rho(r^{\prime})}{\left|\vec{r}-\vec{r}^{\prime}\right|}dr^{\prime} \\ \Rightarrow $$

Would you agree with(?):

$$q\Phi(0)=4\pi\int \limits_\infty^0 (r')^2 \frac{\rho_{0}\mathrm{e}^{-a r^{\prime}})}{\left|\vec{r}^{\prime}\right|}dr^{\prime} $$

Why do you think the following is wrong?

$$\left|\vec{r}-\vec{r}^{\prime}\right|=\left|\left(r-r^{\prime}\right) \vec{e}_{r}\right|=\left|r-r^{\prime}\right| \cdot \underbrace{\| \vec{e}_{r}||}_{=1}=\sqrt{\left(r-r^{\prime}\right)^{2}} $$

LeoJakob said:
First of all:

Ah, and I forgot:
:welcome: ##\qquad ##!​

LeoJakob said:
Why do you think the following is wrong?$$\left|\vec{r}-\vec{r}^{\prime}\right|=\left|\left(r-r^{\prime}\right) \vec{e}_{r}\right|=\left|r-r^{\prime}\right| \cdot \underbrace{\| \vec{e}_{r}||}_{=1}=\sqrt{\left(r-r^{\prime}\right)^{2}}$$
Which ##\vec e_r## would that be ? The one from ##\vec r## or the one from ##\vec r'## ?

If ##|\vec r| = |\vec r'|## then ##|\vec r -\vec r'| =0 ## only if ##\theta=\theta'\ \&\ \phi=\phi'## !
1706223420229.png

The ##\hat e_r ## unit vector for ##\vec r -\vec r'## is not along ##\hat e_r## nor is it along ##\hat e_{r'}## !##\ ##

Last edited:
Likes LeoJakob
Thanks for the welcome :) I now understand my mistake, thank you very much ! :)

1. How does the work required to move a point charge from infinity to the center of a charge distribution depend on the distribution?

The work required is determined by the electric potential energy of the charge distribution. As the charge moves closer to the center of the distribution, the potential energy decreases, resulting in work being done on the charge to move it against the electric field.

2. Does the work depend on the magnitude of the charge being moved?

Yes, the work required to move a point charge from infinity to the center of a charge distribution is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge. A larger charge will experience a greater force and require more work to be moved against the electric field.

3. Is the work done to move the charge path-dependent?

No, the work done to move a point charge from infinity to the center of a charge distribution is path-independent. This means that the amount of work required is the same regardless of the path taken, as long as the start and end points remain the same.

4. How does the work change if the charge is moved to a different point within the distribution?

If the charge is moved to a different point within the distribution, the work required will vary depending on the distance and direction of the movement. The work done will be determined by the change in electric potential energy as the charge moves from one point to another.

5. Does the work done depend on the nature of the charge distribution?

Yes, the work required to move a point charge from infinity to the center of a charge distribution is influenced by the nature of the distribution. Different charge distributions will have varying electric field strengths, which will affect the amount of work needed to move the charge against the field.