Register to reply

Black Friday Computer Deals... Post here...

by rhody
Tags: black, deals, friday
Share this thread:
turbo
Nov21-11, 09:50 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Quote Quote by jhae2.718 View Post
Hard drives are expensive now...
A few years ago, I couldn't have imagined ordering a new computer with an affordable 1Tb hard drive. HD capacity is dirt cheap.
Routaran
Nov22-11, 10:31 AM
P: 292
there was a flood in Thailand that damaged the factories that produce hard drives. that's why the prices have gone through the roof. we will have to wait a few months for someone else to pick up the slack and bring the prices back down.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20111018PD214.html
rhody
Nov23-11, 06:32 AM
PF Gold
P: 765
For your information:

Black Friday 2011: Toys R Us, Target Thanksgiving hours spark protests
According to InMobi’s survey, 60 million mobile users will shop on Black Friday using their smartphones and 21 million intend to purchase goods directly from their mobile devices. That number is even higher with the more tech-focused Cyber Monday shoppers — the survey found 42 percent of shoppers plan to use their mobile devices to shop for gadgets and electronics.

More generally, smartphones have become an indispensable tool for holiday shoppers who are using them more often to compare prices and read reviews in stores. According to the study, 45 percent of shoppers will use their phones for price comparisons while shopping, up from 22 percent last year.

Shoppers also use their phones to check store hours and locations before heading to the mall. Wal-Mart recently released new iPhone and iPad apps that allow customers to check the inventory of their local stores during the holiday season.
I experienced the "Buzz" of knowing if I was crafty enough and got up early enough, I would score a deal. In my last post I talked about saving over $ 400 on a pair of skis at Building 19's annual ski sale, which is held a week before Black Friday. In addition to the skis I got, I got a "Buzz" from it, that dopamine rush from the anticipation and excitement. Black Friday to me is all about the "Buzz". For those who beg to differ with supporting evidence, I am all ears. I have a friend who really doesn't "need" anything, and yet, year after year he spends between one and two thousand dollars on Black Friday getting his "Buzz". He is doing the same thing this year. Whenever I mention the subject, his eye's light up, in anticipation of the excitement of running for those deals.

Rhody...
rhody
Nov25-11, 08:32 AM
PF Gold
Ok, I want reports of your Black Friday experience, good, bad, exciting, frustrating, unbelievable. Don't spare any details !

Discuss !!!

Rhody... channels Pengy... in hopes of response...
jhae2.718
Nov25-11, 10:52 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,153
Quote Quote by turbo View Post
A few years ago, I couldn't have imagined ordering a new computer with an affordable 1Tb hard drive. HD capacity is dirt cheap.
I was looking at 1TB WD hard drives to upgrade some lab computers, and the price on Newegg went up from ~$90 to ~$250 because of the flooding.

Quote Quote by Routaran View Post
there was a flood in Thailand that damaged the factories that produce hard drives. that's why the prices have gone through the roof. we will have to wait a few months for someone else to pick up the slack and bring the prices back down.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20111018PD214.html
Supposedly the effect on hard drive supply may last through 2012.
rhody
Nov26-11, 09:17 AM
PF Gold
Shameless self promotion failed, even channeling Pengy. Here is my experience, on line Black Friday Shopping. Bought a 64gb iPad 2 without 4G for $ 68 less than suggested retail through B&H Camera online. I don't like apple, I have an old iTouch and it has been really abused and still works well. The problem is iTunes. It messes with my songs, every time I synch it. For the reason I am going with a Sony walkman, 16gb. Every thing is drag and drop with it, no more iTunes, it is treated like another remote HD which is very nice. The iPad is for the Mrs. She doesn't realize it yet, but once she gets it, she will probably never use her iTouch or laptop again. Apple is an 8000 lb gorilla, and makes great products. That doesn't mean that I have to like them.

Rhody...
jhae2.718
Nov27-11, 10:11 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,153
iTunes is horrible. There are some alternatives you can use, but Apple tries to make it difficult.

Newegg's Black Friday deals were rather disappointing; I was hoping to pick up a couple >23" monitors with full rotation. They did have the Toshiba Thrive for $200, but it was sold out by the time I noticed it.

Register to reply