Tutoring: teach to the test, or for life?

In summary, the author is a 4th year university student who has just started tutoring a high school student in physics. He is nervous about the student's upcoming test, but also wants to help the student in any way possible. There is some conflict between the author's goal of helping the student long term and the need to pass the test. There is also conflict between the author's goal of helping the student pass the test and the idea of teaching to the test. There is agreement that teaching for life is the goal, but that teaching for the test should be a priority.
Studentyguy
Hey everyone,

I recently got a job tutoring a High School student in physics. I'm in fourth year at university. I've just had my first session, and I quite enjoyed it. Though I'm now very nervous about my student's upcoming test.

I'd like to give some interesting physics related examples to teach them (I'm thinking something like Flying Circus of Physics). Also, I'd like to show him several different ways of doing problems, to help overall understanding (it works for me!). However, the education system in this country has students doing several test throughout the year, which MUST be passed. So I don't want to use up the limited time I have showing this stuff, and possibly confusing them with too many methods. They have already failed one test before I met them and are doing the resit soon.

On the other hand, I'm worried that simply teaching to the tests is only helping them short term, and won't really help with long term understanding. I really want to help them do well in physics, not just scrape a pass. But if they don't pass the tests...

I gather that there's some experienced tutors and teachers on here. I'm interested in hearing what you guys think. :-)

Science news on Phys.org
The folks paying you (presumably the parents) may feel that you've been hired to do a very specific job --- don't actually help them in any long-term way, just get their grades up. Disgusting, I know, but since they are paying you, you should consider having that conversation with them.

Why are they mutually exclusive?

'Teaching to the test' often helps a student more than I think many give credit. Subject matter exams and tests given during classes are often done incrementally to establish mastery of relatively basic concepts to move on to more advanced ones. In my experience, tutoring math, students too often look for an easy way out when comprehensive knowledge of the matter is necessary for success. If your student isn't successful with the methods already presented to him maybe he DOES need to learn them a different way, after all - your student is in need of some tutoring. Just don't lose sight of the end goal (passing the test).

Teach to the test first if it's urgent.

Teach to the test with understanding. Usually the failing students fail because they don't uderstand. A great student may miss an A because he is too slow, in which case he just needs help with test taking technique. A weak student will be helped most by a strong understanding of the very very few but powerful concepts in physics.

Several different ways of doing problems is just a bunch of desultory tricks if there is no basic understanding. At an elementary level, inelegant brute force but from first principles demonstrates good basic understanding.

Last edited:
It depends on the student, but most who are in need of regular tutoring need to get through that course with a (hopefully) decent grade. I think that's the first priority, and teaching them extra tricks-of-the-trade is secondary.

Also, most students who need tutoring don't intend to continue on in physics. At least this is true in high school, where I have done about 95% of my tutoring.

I believe in teaching for life, however your being paid to be a tutor so in this circumstance you must teach for tests. When you have your own children, teach them for life.

Thanks everyone. I think there's a consensus here.

Perhaps I have been a little overambitious. I'll concentrate on making the test material as interesting as possible, but I'll avoid branching out too far. I'm going to keep looking for any extra insights and methods, though - if they do come up, I think it would be good to have them to hand.

Thanks again!

1. What is the difference between teaching to the test and teaching for life?

Teaching to the test focuses on preparing students to do well on a specific assessment, while teaching for life focuses on developing skills and knowledge that can be applied in real-life situations.

2. Is teaching to the test effective?

Teaching to the test can be effective in improving test scores, but it may not necessarily lead to long-term understanding and retention of the material.

3. How does teaching for life benefit students?

Teaching for life helps students develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills that are essential for success in both academic and real-life settings.

4. Can teaching for life also prepare students for tests?

Yes, teaching for life can also prepare students for tests by providing a solid foundation of knowledge and skills that can be applied to different types of assessments.

5. Which approach is better: teaching to the test or teaching for life?

It ultimately depends on the goals and priorities of the educator and the needs of the students. Both approaches have their own benefits and drawbacks, and a combination of both may be the most effective in preparing students for success in both tests and real-life situations.