Kids with Kidney Stones

by zoobyshoe
Tags: kidney, kids, stones
Share this thread:
rhody
Dec19-11, 04:28 PM
PF Gold
P: 765
Yay !!! The stone is history, now if I could only pee without pain, that would be nice, the after effects from the anesthesia are much better this time. My brain is not in such a fog as last time, no bloating either, having a bite to eat, then going to take it easy, the Doc and nurses at hospital were very kind. It makes it a lot less stressful that way. I will not miss the daily nausea one bit either. One hell of a way to keep from gaining weight, that is for sure. All for now, hopefully the pain med will kick in to make peeing easier.

Rhody...

P.S. I only have one complaint so far... and that is... hopefully that will end soon and I will be back to normal in a few days, FYI, the pain meds do not provide even minor relief.

Monique
Dec20-11, 02:35 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,642
Quote Quote by rhody View Post
Monique, and Jimmy how are you both doing ? I know Jimmy said he has stones in his kidney, and as long as they are not causing him issues they will stay put for now. Monique, were you able to pass yours ?
I'm doing fine now, I'm not sure whether it passed but the pain is gone. It took 5 days of intense cramps in my left side. I was taking the maximum dose of prescribed painkiller, but it was not even taking the edge off the pain. After that there were some relapses for about a week.

X-ray and echo showed nothing, but I wasn't surprised. Several years ago I had similar intense cramps in my right side, which lasted much longer and were never diagnosed. Now Iím thinking it might have been stones as well, Iím glad it didnít appear on my right side again. In the future Iíll know whatís happening when pain with the same characteristics appears, that at least is a relieve.
Evo
Dec20-11, 02:09 PM
Mentor
P: 26,552
Rhody, feeling any better today?
rhody
Dec20-11, 03:37 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Rhody, feeling any better today?
No at first, now yes, the amazing ability of the body to withstand prodding, scraping from the insides (ewww...) and to bounce back is nothing short of amazing. Every time (early am) today I had to pee it wasn't pretty, hurt like hell, then I convinced myself that I could take the pain, by comparing it to the "take your breath away, curled up in a little ball kind of pain." Put in that context it isn't so bad. I sort of surrendered to it, and it seems more tolerable now that I am no longer anxious because of it. The bleeding is not as frequent and I feel a small sensation of itching, which is a sign things are starting heal. Knowing that there will be an end to it is encouraging. Each day things should get a little bit better. Thanks for asking. It will be nice not to feel nauseous in the morning any more.

Rhody...
rhody
Dec22-11, 10:16 AM
PF Gold
Today has not gone as well as the past two, more persistent pain (feels like a clot that can't or won't pass) or possibly the beginning of an infection. I am taking a twice a day antibiotic for 3 days as a precaution.

I am not complaining but everytime I do pee, at the same time a second or two into it, I get a big rush of adrenaline which is odd because the beginning of the pee cycle I feel pain, followed by the relief rush. Is there a scientific name for this ? I am not imagining it, it is REAL.

Rhody...
Evo
Dec22-11, 10:38 AM
Mentor
Today has not gone as well as the past two, more persistent pain (feels like a clot that can't or won't pass) or possibly the beginning of an infection. I am taking a twice a day antibiotic for 3 days as a precaution.

I am not complaining but everytime I do pee, at the same time a second or two into it, I get a big rush of adrenaline which is odd because the beginning of the pee cycle I feel pain, followed by the relief rush. Is there a scientific name for this ? I am not imagining it, it is REAL.

Rhody...
Pain releases endorphins, perhaps it is an endorphin rush.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endorphin
rhody
Dec22-11, 10:48 AM
PF Gold
Pain releases endorphins, perhaps it is an endorphin rush.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endorphin
Yes, but up till now I had never before experienced the pain followed by the release of endorphins so close together. I have read many accounts about soldier's injured horribly in war, and how the wounded claimed they felt no pain.

This is repeatable, and I might add, did NOT happen the first few times I went after my surgery (just pain), it seemed to kick in after the third or forth time I went. Now it is every time the pain flares up, almost like some set threshold has been met. If I don't have as much blood in the urine, I don't feel it, it feels like going normally. It is odd to say the least, not that I am complaining.

Rhody...
rhody
Dec22-11, 08:56 PM
PF Gold
Here is what the procedure looks like and the insertion of the stent. Nice. Now I know why there is pain.

Rhody...
rhody
Dec26-11, 06:35 PM
PF Gold
Jebus, look at what this drug company (one of four) from San Diego plans to roll out !

Painkiller 10 times stronger than Vicodin worries addiction experts
(CBS/AP) As pharmaceutical companies are approaching the final stages of development for a new type of painkiller said to be 10 times stronger than Vicodin, addiction experts worry a new wave of abuse may soon follow.

Four companies have begun patient testing on the pills which contain a pure version of the highly addictive painkiller hydrocodone, and one of them - Zogenix of San Diego - plans to apply early next year to begin marketing its product, Zohydro.

and...

Critics are especially worried about Zohydro, a timed-release drug meant for managing moderate to severe pain, because abusers could crush it for an intense, immediate high.
Zohydro, what a name. I can't think of any kind of pain I could experience that needs to be addressed by something ten times stronger than Vicodin.

Rhody...
rhody
Dec27-11, 01:31 PM
PF Gold
T-minus approximately 20 hours before that stinking, nasty, snake of a zombie (stent) gets yanked out (by the Dr of course) !!! I have heard three stories about what happens right after it is removed. In the worst case, this person had unbearable pain for the next two days, but their stone was zapped with sound waves while inside the kidney and the stent was inserted to let the debris flush, apparently there was some of it found its way on to the wall lining of the ureter and removing the stent made it fresh meat. I can't visualize how that happened. This was not my situation, so I am not worried about intense pain. In the other two cases there wasn't much pain after and they were back to normal in a day or two. I promise I will never take feeling normal (free from pain) about myself for granted again. Everyday you feel healthy and able to function (non medicated) without pain is a blessing.

Rhody...
Monique
Dec27-11, 01:36 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Oi, I wish the best scenario to you and that this will be over soon.
rhody
Dec27-11, 01:37 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Monique View Post
I'm doing fine now, I'm not sure whether it passed but the pain is gone. It took 5 days of intense cramps in my left side. I was taking the maximum dose of prescribed painkiller, but it was not even taking the edge off the pain. After that there were some relapses for about a week.

X-ray and echo showed nothing, but I wasn't surprised. Several years ago I had similar intense cramps in my right side, which lasted much longer and were never diagnosed. Now Iím thinking it might have been stones as well, Iím glad it didnít appear on my right side again. In the future Iíll know whatís happening when pain with the same characteristics appears, that at least is a relieve.
Monique,

The episode before my last one, this one on the opposite of left side, an X-ray a few days later showed no stone, but the Dr. said it could have been a small sandlike particle that passed. From you description of it, this may have happened to you too. Do you remember what you were going through when it happened ? Were you dealing with a great deal of stress ? This was the case for me, it is interesting to compare notes to see if there are common threads.

Rhody...
Evo
Dec27-11, 02:14 PM
Mentor
Jebus, look at what this drug company (one of four) from San Diego plans to roll out !

Painkiller 10 times stronger than Vicodin worries addiction experts

Zohydro, what a name. I can't think of any kind of pain I could experience that needs to be addressed by something ten times stronger than Vicodin.

Rhody...
Percocet is already ~1.5-2 times stronger than Vicodin (vicodin is not strong) Percodan is oxycodone with aspirin. Looking at the manufacturer's website, they do not claim it to be stronger than hydrocodone, just that it won't be combined with another NSAID, like acetominophen, and it will be time released. So although it's stronger than vicodin, it's not stronger than percocet, oxycodone is oxycodone. Perhaps what is misleading is that since the pills last 12 hours, the amount of oxycodone is higher than what you would find in a 4 hour tablet of oxycodone. Typical misleading media hype.

http://www.zogenix.com/index.php/products/zx002/
rhody
Dec27-11, 02:28 PM
PF Gold
Percocet is already ~1.5-2 times stronger than Vicodin (vicodin is not strong) Percodan is oxycodone with aspirin. Looking at the manufacturer's website, they do not claim it to be stronger than hydrocodone, just that it won't be combined with another NSAID, like acetominophen, and it will be time released. So although it's stronger than vicodin, it's not stronger than percocet, oxycodone is oxycodone. Perhaps what is misleading is that since the pills last 12 hours, the amount of oxycodone is higher than what you would find in a 4 hour tablet of oxycodone. Typical misleading media hype.

http://www.zogenix.com/index.php/products/zx002/
Yes, if it is timed released to last 3 or 4 times longer then it makes sense. However, if a drug addict crushed the tablet to get an instant high, that's a whole different story.

Rhody...
Evo
Dec27-11, 02:32 PM
Mentor
Yes, if it is timed released to last 3 or 4 times longer then it makes sense. However, if a drug addict crushed the tablet to get an instant high, that's a whole different story.

Rhody...
But we shouldn't be restricted because of what some fool will do. Large amounts of water can kill you but I don't see anyone calling for a government ban.

BTW, hope your stent removal goes well and you start feeling better.
rhody
Dec27-11, 02:48 PM
PF Gold
But we shouldn't be restricted because of what some fool will do. Large amounts of water can kill you but I don't see anyone calling for a government ban.

BTW, hope your stent removal goes well and you start feeling better.
Thanks,

In my state, you can't buy ephedrine over the counter, some stores won't even sell it, or only sell one package to someone over 18 and not more than one per week. Pharmacies I use won't stock oxycontin because they have been robbed by addicts. I predict if word gets out about the potency of this timed release pain killer, the same procedure will be put in place. This is my personal opinion however.

Rhody...
Evo
Dec27-11, 02:57 PM
Mentor
Thanks,

In my state, you can't buy ephedrine over the counter, some stores won't even sell it, or only sell one package to someone over 18 and not more than one per week. Pharmacies I use won't stock oxycontin because they have been robbed by addicts. I predict if word gets out about the potency of this timed release pain killer, the same procedure will be put in place. This is my personal opinion however.

Rhody...
It really burns me up that our solution to criminal abuse is to punish the good people.
Monique
Dec27-11, 04:59 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Monique,

The episode before my last one, this one on the opposite of left side, an X-ray a few days later showed no stone, but the Dr. said it could have been a small sandlike particle that passed. From you description of it, this may have happened to you too. Do you remember what you were going through when it happened ? Were you dealing with a great deal of stress ? This was the case for me, it is interesting to compare notes to see if there are common threads.

Rhody...
Yes, stress could have been a factor but the main culprit would be dehydration. I was working long hours in a lab the week leading up to the attack. I'm stupid enough to not eat and drink until the experiment is finished, partially caused by the long distance between the lab and the office. That probably was a trigger.

Apparently it is typical to have the pain start in the early morning hours, does that happen to you as well?

Register to reply