User name in e-mail

by Jimmy Snyder
Tags: None
Jimmy Snyder
Dec29-11, 12:28 PM
P: 2,163
I have received a couple of e-mails from PF members recently. First of all, if my e-mail address is visible to others, I would like to suppress that. But even if it is not visible, I do not wish to respond to these e-mails because I don't want to broadcast my e-mail address. I would PM my response, but I don't know their user names. I suggest that when an e-mail is sent via PF, the user name be attached to the message. That way I can contact the person without revealing my e-mail address.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
Space-tested fluid flow concept advances infectious disease diagnoses
SpaceX launches supplies to space station (Update)
Evo
Dec29-11, 12:43 PM
Mentor
P: 25,928
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
I have received a couple of e-mails from PF members recently. First of all, if my e-mail address is visible to others, I would like to suppress that. But even if it is not visible, I do not wish to respond to these e-mails because I don't want to broadcast my e-mail address. I would PM my response, but I don't know their user names. I suggest that when an e-mail is sent via PF, the user name be attached to the message. That way I can contact the person without revealing my e-mail address.
You need to go into your user preferences and disable "receiving e-mail from other members"

Go to My PF, "Messaging & Notification" uncheck "Receive Email from Other Members"
George Jones
Dec29-11, 01:36 PM
Mentor
P: 6,038
I just tried this. Using a test account available to Mentors, I sent an email to PF member George Jones. The test account was unable to see the email address of George Jones. I received an email from PFmember@Physics Forums. You should be able to PM PFmember.

Jimmy Snyder
Dec29-11, 03:17 PM

User name in e-mail

How embarrassing. No one can send me an e-mail through PF because I have already turned it off. The e-mails that were sent to me came because I had put my e-mail address into one of my posts. Not embarrassing enough? Make that three separate posts. Never mind.
dlgoff
Dec29-11, 04:58 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,631
How embarrassing. No one can send me an e-mail through PF because I have already turned it off. The e-mails that were sent to me came because I had put my e-mail address into one of my posts. Not embarrassing enough? Make that three separate posts. Never mind.
If you haven't done so, I think you could ask a mentor to remove the address.

Refrain from disclosing personal information. i.e. hometown, real name, email address... For your safety staff may edit out such information if posted.
Physics Forums Global Guidelines
jtbell
Dec29-11, 05:12 PM
Mentor
P: 11,231
I had put my e-mail address into one of my posts. Not embarrassing enough? Make that three separate posts.
Hit the "Report" button on those posts, add a few words explaining why, and we'll be happy to delete the e-mail addresses for you.

Using "Report" instead of a PM ensures that we all see it and have a chance to act on it, instead of it maybe languishing unread in somebody's PM box for a while.
Evo
Dec29-11, 05:41 PM
Mentor
P: 25,928
Shhhh, Ixnay on the eefray edits! I already *fixed* Jimmy. All for the low low price of $50 per edit, paid in advance, of course.

(Evo will get that electric meat smoker any day now)
Mark44
Dec29-11, 06:36 PM
Mentor
P: 20,990
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Shhhh, Ixnay on the eefray edits! I already *fixed* Jimmy. All for the low low price of $50 per edit, paid in advance, of course.

You're smoking electric meat, now?

Oh, wait, I'll bet you mean electric (meat smoker), not (electric meat) smoker.
turbo
Dec29-11, 06:38 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
Quote Quote by Evo View Post

You didn't demand dark Belgian chocolate? I had to pay a lot to ship that stuff. PayPal would have been easier.

Never ask Evo for a favor!
Jimmy Snyder
Dec29-11, 07:37 PM
My problem is fixed. However, the thread in which I had put my e-mail address has the e-mail addresses of a lot of other people too.
Fredrik
Dec29-11, 07:40 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 8,992
Quote Quote by George Jones View Post
I just tried this. Using a test account available to Mentors, I sent an email to PF member George Jones. The test account was unable to see the email address of George Jones. I received an email from PFmember@Physics Forums. You should be able to PM PFmember.
I was able to see the email address of a member who sent me a PF email in August. I don't think he wanted me to, considering how hostile he had been. The email I got was from <username>@physicsforums.com. It looked like this:
This is a message from <username> at Physics Forums ( http://www.physicsforums.com/index.php ). The Physics Forums owners cannot accept any responsibility for the contents of the email.

To email <username>, you can use this online form:
http://www.physicsforums.com/sendmessage.php?do=mailmember&u=<user id number>

OR, by email:
mailto:<his email address at a university in germany>

This is the message:

<message text>
turbo
Dec29-11, 07:40 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
My problem is fixed. However, the thread in which I had put my e-mail address has the e-mail addresses of a lot of other people too.
Spam 'em! Spam 'em good!
rhody
Dec29-11, 07:55 PM
PF Gold
P: 765
Jimmy being unwittingly responsible for spamming and phishing assaults on equally unwitting PF members, gotta love it (only kidding Jimmy, only kidding).

Rhody...

Register to reply