Receiving E-mails Not Addressed to Me

• Thread starter Drakkith
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of receiving emails that are not addressed to the recipient. It is mentioned that emails contain header information which can be easily spoofed by scammers. The other person also suggests that the recipient may have been blind copied on the email, which is a common technique used by spammers. The content of the email is confirmed to be spammy and potentially contains malicious links.
Drakkith
Mentor
Quick question.

I just received an spam-type e-mail that says it was addressed to info@gmail.com, which is obviously not my e-mail. I'm pretty sure this isn't the only e-mail I've received which doesn't appear to have been addressed to me. Why would I be getting e-mails which don't appear to be addressed to me?

Computer science news on Phys.org
emails contain a lot of 'header' information which is not part of the message itself.
Much of that can be spoofed without affecting the transmission of the message.
Scammers also use this fact to make it appear that you received a message from somebody who didn't actually send it.

Likes berkeman
I see. Thanks rootone!

You've been "blind copied" on an email, probably along w/ thousands of others. Only the single "to" address shows up and it doesn't even have to be a real one. All of the BC's go through regardless. It's a common technique for spam.

Likes Drakkith
Greg Bernhardt said:
What was the content? Spammy? Click spam :)

Yep!

1. What is "Receiving E-mails Not Addressed to Me"?

"Receiving E-mails Not Addressed to Me" refers to the situation where an individual receives an email that was not intended for them. This can occur due to various reasons, such as a mistake in the sender's address or a technical error.

2. How common is it to receive emails not addressed to me?

It is not uncommon for individuals to receive emails not addressed to them. It can happen occasionally due to human error or technical glitches in the email delivery system. However, if it happens frequently, it may be a sign of spam or phishing attempts.

3. What should I do if I receive an email not addressed to me?

If you receive an email not addressed to you, the best course of action is to simply delete it. Do not open any attachments or click on any links in the email, as it may contain malicious content. If the email is from a known sender, you can also politely inform them of the mistake so they can correct it.

4. Can receiving emails not addressed to me be a security risk?

Yes, receiving emails not addressed to you can potentially be a security risk. These emails may contain harmful attachments or links that can compromise your personal information or infect your device with malware. It is important to be cautious and not interact with these emails.

5. How can I prevent receiving emails not addressed to me?

To reduce the chances of receiving emails not addressed to you, make sure to regularly check and update your email address with your contacts. You can also use email filters to automatically delete emails from unknown senders or suspicious domains. Additionally, be cautious when sharing your email address online to avoid it being harvested by spammers.