Register to reply

Rigorous introduction to electromagnetism

by Number Nine
Tags: electromagnetism, introduction, rigorous
Share this thread:
Number Nine
Dec30-11, 01:08 AM
P: 772
I'm looking for a good introductory text on electromagnetism for someone who has very little experience with physics but is comfortable with multivariate and vector calculus and ODE's. I'd prefer something that starts from the basics and works up in a rigorous fashion. Note that I am proficient in the above fields, but something at the level of Landau is probably a bit over my head considering my lack of intuition for physics. I can work with that level of difficulty if need be, but I'd prefer to start with something a little gentler.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Flapping baby birds give clues to origin of flight
Prions can trigger 'stuck' wine fermentations, researchers find
Socially-assistive robots help kids with autism learn by providing personalized prompts
brocks
Dec30-11, 01:21 AM
P: 183
For many years, the traditional standard text for honors introductory EM has been Purcell's E&M, Berkeley Physics Volume 2.
clem
Dec30-11, 09:05 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,261
I think that Franklin, "Classical Electromagnetism", could be appropriate for you.
Although it is a graduate level text, it starts from the basics and works up in a rigorous fashion. No previous knowledge of physics is necessary if your math is good.

Register to reply