Supplement to Griffiths E&M/Prep for Graduate E&M

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a textbook or problem book on electrodynamics or electromagnetics at a level similar to or slightly above Griffiths for preparation for graduate-level texts. Various textbooks such as Jackson, Schwinger, Landau, Purcell/Morin, Reitz and Milford, and Heald and Marion are mentioned and recommended. The idea of perusing through Physics Forums for solved E&M problems is also suggested. There is a debate on the need for a book "in between" Griffiths and Jackson, with some arguing that working through Griffiths thoroughly is enough preparation for graduate-level texts.
Mondayman
Hi folks,

I'm currently working through Griffith's E&M text for school. It is my favorite subject and I am hoping to find another textbook or problem book on electrodynamics or electromagnetics. I was hoping for something at the level of Griffiths or slightly above, something that'll prepare me for the graduate-level texts I have by Jackson, Schwinger, and Landau. Preferably with a good selection of problems too.

I have the Feynman Lectures already. I was considering Schwartz, Lorraine, or Greiner. I've heard mixed things about Purcell/Morin. Does anyone have any experience with these textbooks?

Thank you,
MM

Physics news on Phys.org
We used J.D. Jackson when I was in college, and it was very good. Suggestion for you though is to do a search on Physics Forums of a variety of E&M posts, where we helped different advanced students with some of their homework problems, etc. In many cases, I think we took it a step or two beyond what is often shown in a textbook. ## \\ ## See e.g. https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...iformly-polarized-sphere.877891/#post-5513730 ## \\ ## and
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/magnetic-flux-is-the-same-if-we-apply-the-biot-savart.927681/ ## \\ ## and
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...perature-relationship-in-ferromagnets.923380/

Last edited:
Likes Adesh, vanhees71 and Mondayman
Reitz and Milford is another decent text...a bit more formal than Griffiths. I learned from Reitz as an undergrad and later taught from Griffiths. I like Griffiths better but it depends I noticed a few months ago one could get Reitz older edition for like $9 used...worth just having probably.

Likes Mondayman
I like the idea of perusing through PF's solved problems on E&M. Perhaps I'll buy every problem book available as well.

I've discovered Shadowitz and Lorrain are at the level I need.

Likes Charles Link
I have Reitz and Milford and “Engineering Electromagnetics” by Hayt and it seems to be good.

Likes Charles Link
Try this. It is on the Jackson level, but readable.
Classical Electromagnetism: Second Edition
(Dover Books on Physics) 2nd Edition

by Jerrold Franklin

Likes jasonRF and Mondayman
I've noted Franklin's text as well his Solved Problems book. I intend to get them when I get to higher level E&M.

jasonRF said:
Heald and Marion is a good book between Griffiths and Jackson:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486490602/?tag=pfamazon01-20
By the way, Heald and Marion also has a solutions manual available from the publisher. The link is at
https://store.doverpublications.com/0486490602.html
but I can only see it from a computer - from my phone I cannot seem to get the link to show up on that page. The manual is a 26 MB pdf file, and the direct link is
https://www.doverpublications.com/solutions/490602.pdf

jason

Likes Mondayman
I'm a bit puzzled by the demand of something "in between" Griffiths's excellent E&M undergraduate textbook and graduate-level textbooks like Jackson. I think if you have worked through Griffiths you are well prepared to read any graduate-level text on E&M.

Likes hagopbul, marcusl, jasonRF and 1 other person
vanhees71 said:
I'm a bit puzzled by the demand of something "in between" Griffiths's excellent E&M undergraduate textbook and graduate-level textbooks like Jackson. I think if you have worked through Griffiths you are well prepared to read any graduate-level text on E&M.
I agree with this 100%.

I think that people have different ideas of what it means to work through a book though. In my opinion (and I learned this far too late) to work through a book means more than reading each chapter and trying some end-of-chapter problems. You need to be able to, with a pen and paper, work through the chapter understanding what the author is saying at each step along the way.

Likes hagopbul, jasonRF and vanhees71
vanhees71 said:
Griffiths has been a good textbook so far, but I like to learn from multiple resources. Having additional problems to work on is always nice too, as Griffiths does not have that many exercises.

1. What is the purpose of the "Supplement to Griffiths E&M/Prep for Graduate E&M" book?

The purpose of this book is to provide additional practice problems and review material for students studying Griffiths' Introduction to Electrodynamics (E&M) or preparing for graduate level E&M courses. It covers a wide range of topics and helps students develop a deeper understanding of the subject.

2. Is this book suitable for self-study or is it meant to be used alongside a textbook?

This book can be used for both self-study and as a supplement to a textbook. It contains detailed explanations and solutions to problems, making it a valuable resource for students studying on their own or looking for additional practice material.

3. Are the problems in this supplement similar to those found in Griffiths' E&M textbook?

Yes, the problems in this supplement are designed to be similar in style and difficulty to those found in Griffiths' E&M textbook. They cover the same topics and concepts, allowing students to reinforce their understanding and improve their problem-solving skills.

4. Can this supplement be used for other E&M textbooks or is it specific to Griffiths' book?

While this supplement is specifically designed for use with Griffiths' E&M textbook, many of the problems and concepts covered are applicable to other E&M textbooks as well. However, some of the problems may be specific to Griffiths' book and may not align perfectly with other textbooks.

5. Are the solutions provided for all the problems in this supplement?

Yes, this supplement includes solutions for all of the problems. The solutions are provided in a separate section, allowing students to first attempt the problems on their own before checking their work. This can help with self-assessment and identifying areas that may need further review.