by Phobos
Tags: astronomy, events, schedule
Share this thread:
russ_watters
Dec14-10, 06:23 PM
Mentor
P: 22,315
Quote Quote by hypatia View Post
I was out this morning around 2AM, and lost count after seeing about 30. I believe it was at its peek last night. It was beautiful.
How long were you out?
hypatia
Dec15-10, 01:42 AM
P: 1,298
I was frozen stiff under perfectly clear skies, by 4AM.
vijay.wps
Dec15-10, 03:41 AM
P: 1
The darkest I have ever seen was one night when a magnitude 6.9 star could be seen, but this is very rare. Magnitude 11 is usually considered near the limit for a good 8 inch telescope. I heard from a math major who's taking the astronomy class at my school that there is a nebula or a new star forming in Orion's belt.

Watch eureka episodes online | Watch Family Guy Online
nucleus
Dec18-10, 12:42 AM
P: 171
Lunar eclipse and winter solstice to coincide, first time since the year 1378

Coincidences: This lunar eclipse falls on the date of the northern winter solstice. How rare is that? Total lunar eclipses in northern winter are fairly common. There have been three of them in the past ten years alone. A lunar eclipse smack-dab on the date of the solstice, however, is unusual. Using NASA's 5000 year catalog of lunar eclipses and JPL's HORIZONS ephemeris to match eclipses and solstices, author Dr. Tony Phillips had to go back to the year 1378 to find a similar "winter solstice lunar eclipse."

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news...lsticeeclipse/
Redbelly98
Dec19-10, 09:52 AM
Mentor
P: 12,074
Here are the times at which the upcoming lunar eclipse will occur.

Night of Dec. 20 / morning of Dec. 21
The three times listed are Pacific (USA) and Eastern (USA)

Partial phase begins: 10:33 PM / 1:33 AM
Total phase begins: 11:41 PM / 2:41 AM
Total phase ends: 12:53 AM / 3:53
Partial phase ends: 2:01 AM / 5:01
mugaliens
Dec21-10, 05:21 AM
P: 595
Well, I got a crappy hand-held pic...

Sorry, it's the best I could do.

I did see the ruddy red after midnight, though... Wonderful!

- Mugs
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3609.jpg  
abu ammar
Jan17-11, 05:09 AM
P: 1
Greetings:

I am looking for a formula to find the duration of sun's meridian transit for a given location and date.

Can anyone help out?
hypatia
Apr8-11, 08:02 PM
P: 1,298
Saturn has been a joy to view this month. Even with a very small scope, you can clearly see the rings. If you look to the east, you will see 2 bright objects. One is the star Spica in the constellation Virgo, the slightly brighter one above it, is Saturn.
toxicity_27
May16-11, 10:42 PM
P: 17
Saturn is still out. Second time I've seen it in 5 years. Very bright, and it seemed as though I could see between the planet at the rings. I may be crazy though.
Gliese123
Jul6-11, 02:01 PM
P: 144
Someone who knows if anything astronomical is happening in the northern hemisphere (Northern Europe) this July? :)
Redbelly98
Oct18-11, 07:24 AM
Mentor
Moderator's note: Please, let's keep the posts in this thread on-topic. We have had to delete a number of off-topic posts in recent months.
CosmicEye
Nov1-11, 12:57 AM
P: 63
Any local event in NOVA, near DC? Send a PM if anyone knows of any please
Redbelly98
Nov4-11, 07:48 AM
Mentor
Largest Sunspot in Years Observed on the Sun
The sunspot behemoth isn't yet facing our planet, but was spotted today (Nov. 3) by NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) satellite. The spacecraft's photos of the giant sunspot show the solar region as it comes into view on the northeastern edge, or limb, of the sun.

When it does turn our way in the days ahead, it should be an "easy target for backyard solar telescopes," according to SpaceWeather.com.
Drakkith
Nov7-11, 03:37 AM
Mentor
P: 12,015
It's November now ricci!
Telmerk,the Magician
Nov7-11, 06:43 AM
P: 44
"When it does turn our way in the days ahead, it should be an "easy target for backyard solar telescopes," according to SpaceWeather.com."

Some of my friends told me it is also visible with the naked eye (using protection of course).
davenn
Dec11-11, 02:36 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,756
good view of totality after the clouds cleared minutes before totality started :)

looking forward to the Venus transit next year, last one of the pair and a long time before the next set. no one alive today will see it.

cheers
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0106b.jpg  
toxicity_27
Jan3-12, 06:43 PM
P: 17
Quadrantids Meteor Shower tonight. Starting at about 3AM when the moon sets to dawn will be the best viewing time. Only happens today.
davenn
Jan3-12, 07:14 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,756
Quote Quote by toxicity_27 View Post
Quadrantids Meteor Shower tonight. Starting at about 3AM when the moon sets to dawn will be the best viewing time. Only happens today.
Thanks for the heads up :)

Have only arrived back in the country after xmas and NY overseas and havent had a chance to catch up on up coming events

cheers
Dave

Register to reply