Greased metal on wet wood rails, making pyramids.

In summary: Putting a small circular bit on the top of each block would solve the issue of the human pushers kicking up the ramp material.
Spinnor
Gold Member
Of the materials available to the ancient Egyptians for moving large stone blocks, wooden sleds equipped with flat greased metal runners which might ride on parallel wet greased wooden rails gives a low coefficient of friction? It may not be easy to use such materials to make an efficient working system?

Are there other combinations of "common" materials which might have had a lower coefficient of friction?

Thanks for any help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you heard the theory about putting 4 semi-circular bits on each of the blocks and rolling them? I thought that was pretty clever though I have no idea if it's true or not. I heard about this on a documentary on TV. The people claimed to have found these wooden bits inside a pyramid.
PyramidRoller-05.jpg

One of many possible problems, the human pushers or pullers would likely kick up any loose ramp material onto the wooden rails and increase friction and wear? Unavoidable?

Q_Goest said:
Have you heard the theory about putting 4 semi-circular bits on each of the blocks and rolling them? I thought that was pretty clever though I have no idea if it's true or not. I heard about this on a documentary on TV. The people claimed to have found these wooden bits inside a pyramid.
PyramidRoller-05.jpg

That is clever! Can't see the weakness of such a system right away.

What is holding the wooden pieces on to the block? I bet taking a side off and rolling it onto the flat is a little scary!

If I recall correctly one theory is they used water and fine silt to create a grease.

Nihilist said:
What is holding the wooden pieces on to the block?
Possibly leather straps circling the wheel in a deep groove?
I bet taking a side off and rolling it onto the flat is a little scary!
The block could be supported on lengths of cordwood while the "wheels" and the dowels are removed, then the block rolled along on a series of cordwood logs serving as rollers.

Spinnor said:
One of many possible problems, the human pushers or pullers would likely kick up any loose ramp material onto the wooden rails and increase friction and wear? Unavoidable?

A possible solution, "pave" the ramp with woven plant material or use stone? Would workers have worn sandals or gone barefoot? Set the ramp in the shady north side of the partially completed pyramid for cooler workers and feet?

Thanks for any thoughts!

1. What is the purpose of greasing metal on wet wood rails when building pyramids?

The purpose of greasing metal on wet wood rails when building pyramids is to reduce friction between the wood and metal, making it easier to slide and maneuver the heavy stone blocks into place.

2. How did ancient civilizations build pyramids using greased metal on wet wood rails?

Ancient civilizations used a combination of ramps, pulleys, and greased wood rails to slide and transport the heavy stone blocks into place. The greased metal on wet wood rails reduced the friction and allowed for smoother movement.

3. What type of grease was used on the metal and wood rails?

The type of grease used on the metal and wood rails is not definitively known, as there are no written records from ancient civilizations. However, it is believed that animal fat or plant-based oils were commonly used as lubricants during this time period.

4. Did greased metal on wet wood rails play a significant role in the construction of pyramids?

Yes, greased metal on wet wood rails played a vital role in the construction of pyramids. Without this lubrication method, it would have been much more challenging and time-consuming to move the heavy stone blocks into place, making it nearly impossible to build such massive structures.

5. Are there any modern applications of using greased metal on wet wood rails?

Yes, greased metal on wet wood rails is still used in modern times for various applications, such as in construction, transportation, and industry. It is a simple yet effective method for reducing friction and making movement easier.