davenn
Jan10-12, 07:41 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,595
Yipeee ... my new scope has arrived :)

hopefully tonite It will make "first light" last nite was cloudy

http://www.telescopesdirect.com.au/C...&category=-289

Golly Gosh its some what bulkier than I expected hahaha, I was hoping to take it to Cairns, Queensland, Australia in November for the total solar eclipse, but that aint gonna happen. The main scope unit is 26kg (~ 56lbs) and the tripod another 18kg.
But I have to credit Celestron, it is built strong!! compared to the tiny forks of the early Celestrons that came out in the '70's and '80's

Am looking forward to reviving my astro photography activities that have been pretty much in recess since I left New Zealand 12 years ago.

Dave
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
turbo
Jan10-12, 07:57 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Davenn, every telescope that is worth the price will be more massive than you expect, and doubly so for the tripod and mount. You have to live to learn with that. I had a mild stoke some years back and my main 'scope has languished in the detached garage as a result. Huge oak tripod, massive mount, and heavy 6" OTA ( APO refractor) make it a bit problematic to set up and tear down in the dark.
davenn
Jan11-12, 12:45 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
yeah true but this was really more massive haha
my existing scope is a 8' Newtonian on a Dobsonian mount
I did have a 10" Meade back in NZ, mounted on a German Equatorial
I really hate those things they are so hard to "point and shoot"
so I'm no stranger to larger scopes, but the online photos of this new scope gave no indication as to how big the fork mount is and as I said its very substantial compared to the early celestron scopes like the C8

well there is some blue sky today ... hopefully I will be able to give the scope its first tryout tonite :)

Dave

davenn
Jan11-12, 03:10 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
New scope has arrived

hey Guys ....
well after a really cloudy start to the evening the sky finally cleared and I was able to do a sky alignment with the scope wow really easy to do. and from there its easy to goto any object in its huge database.

Jupiter was impressive and looked it periodically over several hours watching the 4 Galelian (sp?) moons doing their little dance around the planet.
went through a few other well known objects M's 45, 42, 41 and a couple of fainter ones M's 1, 79, 77 till the rising bright moon washed out the sky

People... if you are looking for awesome easy to use scopes to buy, I recommend the Celestron CPC range of scopes. They have a range of mirror sizes that surely there's one that will fit a lot of budgets :) I have no affilliation with them, just impressed with their gear :) Just remember once you get a scope you WILL be afflicted with the astronomers disease called "aperture fever" and you will forever be looking forward to the upgrade to a scope with a bigger mirror hahaha

Dave

Note to mods .... for consideration... there is nowhere on the astronomy forum for people to just casually discuss their observing activities, posting a few pics etc hence all my posts in this particular part of the astronomy forum. Would it be worth creating a subsection for that ?

thanks
Dave
DaveC426913
Jan11-12, 03:47 PM
P: 15,319
Quote Quote by davenn View Post

Note to mods .... for consideration... there is nowhere on the astronomy forum for people to just casually discuss their observing activities, posting a few pics etc hence all my posts in this particular part of the astronomy forum. Would it be worth creating a subsection for that ?

thanks
Dave
That might be a good use of your PF blog...
Drakkith
Jan11-12, 03:54 PM
Mentor
P: 11,827
Davenn, have you been to cloudynights.com? It's a site dedicated to amateur astronomy with sections for discussing everything in the sky and also to post any pictures. It's a pretty nice site. PF isn't really for these things, although the Fun, Photos, and Games forum in the General section may be appropriate for any pictures you take.
davenn
Jan11-12, 05:59 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Drakkith View Post
Davenn, have you been to cloudynights.com? It's a site dedicated to amateur astronomy with sections for discussing everything in the sky and also to post any pictures. It's a pretty nice site. PF isn't really for these things, although the Fun, Photos, and Games forum in the General section may be appropriate for any pictures you take.
cloudynights site dont think I have been there tho the name rings a bell, maybe some one else mentioned it in the dim distant past haha will check it out thanks
ok on that part in the general section :)

DaveC ... havent looked at the blogging option for PF dunno how that works will have to investigate, thanks for that idea :)

thanks guys
Dave
turbo
Jan11-12, 06:26 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Here is a nice place to check for astronomy.

http://forum.ourdarkskies.com/

There are some very advanced astrophotographers who will post their images here. Greg and Neil have posted most of their work here prior to publishing "Star Vistas". Good bunch of people.

Register to reply