Register to reply

Question about the Double Slit Experiment

by salvestrom
Tags: double, experiment, slit
Share this thread:
salvestrom
Jan18-12, 01:03 AM
P: 226
It maybe the lateness of the hour, but I've just had another one of those awkward thoughts that only people who know more than I do can provide an answer for (I'm compelled to edit quickly and note that by this I mean that noone I know's going to have a clue, not that I'm somehow an authority on the subject... you'll probably figure that out for yourselves).

Anyway. Why doesn't the interference pattern, or perhaps more accurately, the evidence of an electron collision appear everywhere in the room the experiment is being conducted in? On the backside of the slit, on the front. On the walls. And so on... Would it?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Bubbling down: Discovery suggests surprising uses for common bubbles
New non-metallic metamaterial enables team to 'compress' and contain light
San K
Jan18-12, 01:07 AM
P: 915
Quote Quote by salvestrom View Post
It maybe the lateness of the hour, but I've just had another one of those awkward thoughts that only people who know more than I do can provide an answer for, and I won't let go until I get one...

Anyway. Why doesn't the interference pattern, or perhaps more accurately, the evidence of an electron collision appear everywhere in the room the experiment is being conducted in? On the backside of the slit, on the front. On the walls. And so on... Would it?
it (single particle interference) does happen all over, its just not being tracked...

an (elaborate) setup is needed to track....from source to detection point....while at the same time ensuring no interference from other sources....

if that's what you are asking
salvestrom
Jan18-12, 01:19 AM
P: 226
yeah, I'm reffering to the point in the experiment where individual electrons are being fired through the slits, but before the slits are monitored.

San K
Jan18-12, 01:37 AM
P: 915
Question about the Double Slit Experiment

Quote Quote by salvestrom View Post
yeah, I'm reffering to the point in the experiment where individual electrons are being fired through the slits, but before the slits are monitored.
before the slits...its a single "wave"....after the slits...the wave splits into two and then they interfere....as per some of the interpretations/hypothesis....

Register to reply