Register to reply

Help explain different types of Grad Physics programs

by mr_bic
Tags: explain, grad, physics, programs, types
Share this thread:
mr_bic
Jan18-12, 12:31 PM
P: 2
I have a BS in Economics and Physics, I've been out of school for a year now and I really want to get a PhD in physics but I'm having trouble narrowing it down to a particular area (i.e. particle, material, astro, experimental, theoretical, etc. ), which in turn is slowing me down in my search for what schools I want to apply to. Please explain to me the specifics of what each is and any good schools to go with it. Thanks alot, I appreciate it.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Choppy
Jan18-12, 12:55 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,726
That's a pretty broad question. You might get a little more help if you narrow it down a little. Some things to help you decide:
- What kind of projects did you work on in you senior year? Did you like them?
- What were your favourite classes?
- What do you read about in your spare time?
- What were the most interesting colloquia/confernces you attended?
mr_bic
Jan18-12, 01:04 PM
P: 2
Senior year I did a project in thin film thermal conduction. It was alright.

Currently, I'm working at a University doing low temperature superconducters and cryogenics and some ultra high vacuum stuff. But I will only be employed here through spring semester, I'm not a student or anything I just got the job cause the professor is a family friend and he could use an extra guy to order parts and haul stuff around. Favorite classes gotta be E and M and Quantum. Like to read anything I can understand or wrap my mind around; mostly astrophysics and particle collisions. I saw this guy Ken Rogers from U of I talk about cpu chip nanotechnology, that was pretty cool.

Yea, I know it's pretty general, but my problem is I can find interest in a lot of things. I just want to get a general knowledge of what these areas in graduate physics are.. both for schooling and careers.

Register to reply