How to pursue a physics grad program with a math degree?

In summary: You also state "most experimental physicists I know were "hands-on" types." This seems to contradict what you wrote about wanting to pursue a career outside of experimental work. If you're not a hobbyist and you're not interested in electronics or chemistry experiments, then it's unclear what you want to do.
ricky33
Hello, I hold a BS in mathematics and want to pursue a career in physics. Is there any way where I can directly join a physics grad program from my current background? What are the options available? And would it be better to pursue an MS in applied math and then switch to physics? Would a good grade on a GRE physics test make that happen?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vanadium 50 said:
Why do you think the advice will be different than what you got lat week?
Couldn't find a program that accepts people from a math background, so I'm checking if it is possible and how could this be done. Another part that I didn't mention in my last question is: what's better, to get an MS in applied math or make the switch to physics from where I'm at right now.

I do not know how you could not find a program that accepts people from a math background. I just picked a university at random: e.g. see North Carolina State University, Physics Graduate admissions. NCSU clearly states they have considered applicants with electrical engineering and mathematics degrees as well as physics. NCSU goes on to write that they have also considered applicants in the social sciences as well. I suspect other programs also examine qualified applicants in mathematics as well. The problem you may have is to convince an admissions committee that your specific mathematics courses suggest you will be successful in their program.

The rest of your post is also puzzling. For example, you mention getting a physics related job and later transitioning to experimental work in physics. In practice, employers are very careful in their hiring. They realize they are making a lifetime committment. In my experience, it is easier to get into a graduate school than getting a job. The committment is less < 10 years, for the graduate school.

The good news is you may be able to get a "physics related" job without a full graduate degree in physics or at least an allied graduate degree in place of physics. For example, Ohio State University, offers a program in geodetic engineering/geodesy. Geodesy would allow you to use a (very) strong background in boundary value problems (potential theory), and linear algebra (adjustment computation and least squares), and mathematical physics in a rewarding career. You need not know circuit theory or antenna theory or quantum mechanics in graduate physics.

But it is unclear in your post, would you be happy outside of experimental work. If you have limited experience in experimental work, how do you know this is what you want to transition into. Are you a hobbyist. Do you do electronics, arduino, chemistry experiments. Did you like chemistry labs, physics labs, building telescopes, etc. Most experimental physicists I know were "hands-on" types.

The OSU program may even have some gravity measurement/ operational component, that may satisfy your "experimental" criteria desire. Geodesy is not just theory, it has some practical component. Job outlooks in this area are quite good. It is a lot less competitive than the physics academia route, although it is also professionally challenging.

My suggestion is to reword your post and give us a little at a time. Are you trying to get into a program or a job. Are you using your aptitude to learn physics on your own backing up your interest in pursuing a career in physics, in which case your attention to your desire to enter the experimental/laboratory aspects, of this career is a non-sequitur.

1. Can I pursue a physics graduate program with a math degree?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a physics graduate program with a math degree. Many universities offer interdisciplinary programs that allow students with a strong math background to transition into physics. It is important to have a solid foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations to succeed in a physics grad program.

2. Will I be at a disadvantage compared to students with a physics degree?

While having a physics degree may give students a slight advantage, a strong background in math can also be beneficial in a physics grad program. Many concepts in physics are heavily rooted in mathematical principles, so having a strong math foundation can actually be an asset.

3. Do I need to have taken specific physics courses in my undergraduate degree?

It is not necessary to have taken specific physics courses in your undergraduate degree to pursue a physics grad program. However, it is recommended to have taken introductory courses in mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics to have a basic understanding of the subject matter.

4. Are there any additional courses I should take to prepare for a physics grad program?

Some universities may require or recommend additional courses such as classical mechanics, thermodynamics, and statistical mechanics. It is also beneficial to have a strong understanding of computer programming and numerical methods, as these skills are often used in physics research.

5. What can I do to make my application stand out as a math major applying to a physics grad program?

To make your application stand out, you can showcase your strong math background by highlighting any relevant coursework, research experience, or projects related to physics. You can also reach out to professors in the physics department and express your interest in their research to potentially secure a recommendation letter. Additionally, participating in physics-related extracurricular activities or attending conferences can also demonstrate your passion for the subject.