Baby it's cold outside

by Evo
Tags: baby, cold, evo
Share this thread:
George Jones
Jan17-12, 05:30 PM
Mentor
P: 6,228
Walked for 25 minutes this morning at -30C = -22F (-41C = -42F). Tomorrow's walk should be colder.
Pythagorean
Jan17-12, 05:48 PM
PF Gold
P: 4,262
I walked for about 10 minutes between buildings in -40 today. I kept dodging into the campus buildings to warm up though :). My parka zipper is broke and I don't want to make even a car trip to fix the situation in this weather.

Actually, I think cars are somewhat scarier in this weather... they can get you far away from your home and then break down, leaving you stranded.
rhody
Jan17-12, 06:50 PM
PF Gold
P: 765
Quote Quote by Pythagorean View Post
I walked for about 10 minutes between buildings in -40 today. I kept dodging into the campus buildings to warm up though :). My parka zipper is broke and I don't want to make even a car trip to fix the situation in this weather.

Actually, I think cars are somewhat scarier in this weather... they can get you far away from your home and then break down, leaving you stranded.
Wow, that reminds me of a crazy biology Professor I had in college, he would wear short sleeves to class, in sleet, snow, hail, -20F, howling wind, it didn't matter, claimed it boosted his immune system. It was about 1/8 to 1/4 mile from the parking lot to class. We all thought he was a bit "crazy".

Rhody...
Ivan Seeking
Jan17-12, 10:42 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,497
The Pacific Northwest is going to get hammered tonight. Lisab is supposed to get about a foot of snow tonight, up in Seattle. We are supposed to transition into snow soon and get a couple of inches by morning. Here, the daytime temps are above freezing so this shouln't be a problem for us.
lisab
Jan17-12, 10:49 PM
Mentor
P: 2,974
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
The Pacific Northwest is going to get hammered tonight. Lisab is supposed to get about a foot of snow tonight, up in Seattle. We are supposed to transition into snow soon and get a couple of inches by morning. Here, the daytime temps are above freezing so this shouln't be a problem for us.
Whew, I can smell it coming. I think the whole metro area is going to be hunkered down for at least a day.

Luckily I have a pot roast in the fridge! It's going to be a goooood day to cook some comfort food .
Ivan Seeking
Jan17-12, 10:59 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,497
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
Whew, I can smell it coming.
You haven't started snorting snow again, have you?
lisab
Jan18-12, 08:54 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
You haven't started snorting snow again, have you?
I can stop anytime, I swear!

Wow it's really bad out there. So far there's about 3 inches, maybe 4. But it's still snowing steadily. The whole area is shut down.

I love that snow-quiet that comes with a good snowfall!
MarcoD
Jan18-12, 09:27 AM
P: 98
I am jealous. At my place, it didn't freeze and we didn't have snow. Only all shades of rain my country specializes in. Boring...
lisab
Jan18-12, 10:09 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by MarcoD View Post
I am jealous. At my place, it didn't freeze and we didn't have snow. Only all shades of rain my country specializes in. Boring...
Your normal weather is almost identical to western Washington's. It's nice to have an occasional break from days and days of the wet, gray pattern!

Btw, I thought this was interesting:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...humanbehaviour

When it comes to wrapping up on a cold winter's day, a cosy hat is obligatory. After all, most of our body heat is lost through our heads or so we are led to believe.

Closer inspection of heat loss in the hatless, however, reveals the claim to be nonsense, say scientists who have dispelled this and five other modern myths.
In summary: Let cooler heads prevail.
KrisOhn
Jan18-12, 11:39 AM
P: 269
It was -51C with the windchill this morning, -46C right now. Yesterday when I went biking, my bike started to literally break down; the front forks froze up, I have hydraulic disc brakes and they started to malfunction, I couldn't shift, the cassette (rear gear set and hub) was locked on one position so whenever i stopped pedaling slack was gained in my chain system, even my crank set was starting to lock up. I don't think that I'll be going biking today.
collinsmark
Jan18-12, 04:46 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 1,924
I just heard on CNN that in some of the hilly areas near downtown Seattle, some of the local residents brought out their skis and snowboards and making a fun day of it on the streets. ('Not much traffic to deal with since the city is mostly shut down today.)
netgypsy
Jan18-12, 06:19 PM
P: 239
62 outside grey and rain today. Always loved it when snow would shut things down. We'd get the sleds and walk up to the local Wendy's and get a hot chocolate.
MarcoD
Jan18-12, 06:36 PM
P: 98
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
In summary: Let cooler heads prevail.
I can now go bald in peace.
netgypsy
Jan18-12, 07:54 PM
It is warmer with a hat on.
Borek
Jan19-12, 02:55 AM
Admin
P: 23,369
We are again above freezing. Pathetic two inches of snow that we got in the last few days are slowly melting.
KrisOhn
Jan19-12, 01:24 PM
P: 269
Another day of -35C for us, but it looks like its not here to stay, by next week we should be up at the -15c area.
netgypsy
Jan19-12, 01:29 PM
Makes me shiver as I get ready to move hay with a tractor in near 70 degree weather.

I do miss snow though. Went to school in Michigan for a couple of years and loved the snow. But we walked everywhere so no problem.
lisab
Jan19-12, 01:53 PM
Mentor
Ugh. The dreaded tic-tic-tic sound of freezing rain as it hits the window.

Meanwhile I got a message from my daughter, she's without power .

Register to reply