Will the Arctic Cold Front Cause Severe Weather and Damage to Crops?

In summary, the weather is gradually changing from cold to warmer temperatures. The forecast for tomorrow predicts that there will be winds between 20 and 25 mph with gusts up to 40 mph. This will create significant blowing and drifting of snow with near blizzard conditions possible at times. Visibilities will be reduced to below one half mile, making roads near impossible to travel on. The cold wind chill values will be widespread, ranging from 20 to 30 below zero. There is a potential for life-threatening situations due to the dangerously cold temperatures. Additionally, my aunt and uncle own a large strawberry farm and citrus orchard near Tampa, FL and stand to lose the entire crop due to the hard long freeze.
  • #1,086
Men are from Mars, snow is from Saturn. We're going to get several inches in Northern South Jersey even though we are east of I-95. Most of our troubles concern the NJ turnpike.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,089
Wet snow is coming down now. Accumulations are up to 1 inch in places. Emergency crews are going house to house and handing out spoons. People less than two inches tall are being urged to remain indoors.

• #1,090
KrisOhn said:
Never thought my city would get recognition on PF for something like that... Synchrotron maybe, but icicles? :rolleyes:

That article tickled me because, although I've never visited Saskatchewan, I did visit a neighboring province once, with the following result: (note the date)

attachment.php?attachmentid=18393&d=1239319857.jpg

Quite a change from South Carolina the previous day! :bugeye:

• #1,091
jtbell said:
That article tickled me because, although I've never visited Saskatchewan, I did visit a neighboring province once, with the following result: (note the date)

attachment.php?attachmentid=18393&d=1239319857.jpg

Quite a change from South Carolina the previous day! :bugeye:

Haha, yep. Classic landlocked Canada. You can typically expect at least 2 days of heavy snowfall after it's all melted and been +20c for a few weeks. I like to think it's Mother Nature just making sure we remember where we are.

• #1,092
As we are experiencing minimum temps unprecedented since temperature recording started, somebody made this:

http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/316877_10151557533321495_1539286885_n.jpg

45% Busy installing spring

Installation of spring 2013 version 3.1

Installation interrupted

Please wait...

Installation failed...!

Returning back to winter.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,093
We had snow this morning and temps in the low 20'sF. Two hours ago, they said the snow stopped, they show no snow. No more snow predicted until after 8pm. Well, it's been snowing for the last hour with no sign of stopping. Perhaps they should look out the window once in a while. :grumpy:

• #1,094
Evo said:
We had snow this morning and temps in the low 20'sF. Two hours ago, they said the snow stopped, they show no snow. No more snow predicted until after 8pm. Well, it's been snowing for the last hour with no sign of stopping. Perhaps they should look out the window once in a while. :grumpy:

Meteorologists aren't paid to look out of windows.

• #1,095
SW VandeCarr said:

However, apparently meteorologists are paid to play in the snow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2SfsNF1TAE

• #1,096
SW VandeCarr said:
l.jpg

This is the National Weather Service forecast office in NYC.

• #1,097
SW VandeCarr said:

Jimmy Snyder said:
l.jpg

This is the National Weather Service forecast office in NYC.

They have eyes behind those walls.

workstation2a.jpg

The high-speed technologically-advanced processing, display, and telecommunication network called the Advanced Weather Interactive Processing System (AWIPS) is the centerpiece of National Weather Service operations. AWIPS is an interactive, versatile computer system that integrates all meteorological, hydrological, satellite, and radar data into one computer workstation.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/lmk/?n=awipsoverview

• #1,098
Another 6-9 inches of snow tonight? dl, are you expecting the same? I see the "blue cloud of doom" over you on the forecast radar.

• #1,099
The snow has started and it's really coming down.

• #1,100
Another night with temp in single digits F forecast for here. Worst winter in the last several years. Perhaps not the coldest one, and not the snowiest one, but we since October we had never more Sun than a day or two - and that happened twice. Other than that just a few several hours long spells.

Go away, I am fed up with you!

• #1,101
Borek said:
Another night with temp in single digits F forecast for here. Worst winter in the last several years. Perhaps not the coldest one, and not the snowiest one, but we since October we had never more Sun than a day or two - and that happened twice. Other than that just a few several hours long spells.

Yeah, this is getting depressing and there is no end in sight yet.

• #1,102
Borek said:

The UK has been about the same for (lack of) sun. No very low temperatures, but long spells with little difference between day and night temperatures. Seems like the thermometer has got stuck on 0C. March is heading towards the coldest since 1967 (and colder than Decenber and January).

Right now, we are coming to the end of 48 hours of light snow (a few inches accumulation) and temps between -2C and 0C. Last year the corresponding temperatures were nearer 20C (which to be fair was exceptionally warm).

• #1,103
We had a nice afternoon yesterday. My wife and Duke and I spent some time in the sun on the back deck in the afternoon. ( got a heavy sweatshirt and insulated pants, and you can sit outside comfortably) It's a bit above freezing tonight, so perhaps Easter will be a nice day, too. I hope so. My wife will be visiting with relatives and Duke and I will be home. We spend a lot of time indoors in the winter, but prefer to get outdoors when we can. I sprained (and gashed) my right hand very badly a couple of weeks back, so I can't walk the monster on a leash right now. Vocal communications have to suffice.

The monster got up a little while ago, and plunked himself down right next to the wood stove. He knows that when I get up in the night, I will fire up the stove. I want to steal Boom, so Duke can have a buddy.

Last edited:
  • #1,104
April Fool! This morning, my wife hadn't walked Duke when I first woke because it was raining so hard. Now, there is snow covering everything. I want to go out and sit in the sunshine. Maybe we'll get that too.

The snow turned back to rain. Don't like Maine weather? Just wait a minute and it will change.

• #1,105
Still gets down to -20 here overnight, warms up to 0ish during the day. I really can't wait until we start seeing double digits on the other side of the scale. At least its light at 6:30am when I wake up now...

• #1,106
KrisOhn said:
Still gets down to -20 here overnight, warms up to 0ish during the day. I really can't wait until we start seeing double digits on the other side of the scale. At least its light at 6:30am when I wake up now...
I assume that celcius?

• #1,107
Hey, it is April! In Polish April is "kwiecień", it means something like "flowered" or "devoted to flowers", or something - but definitely with flowers in it.

FLOWERS, not snow
grumpy_borek.png

And I just looked through the window and it is snowing again. Not to mention the fact we have about 4 inches of snow on the ground.

• #1,108
Evo said:
I assume that celcius?

Yes haha, if it was fahrenheit I would probably move.

• #1,109
Duke and I love the wood-stove. Toasty in here and freezing outside. The wind doesn't help.

Last edited:
  • #1,110
Still nice and cold here in PA. I love the cold.

• #1,111
Supposed to have serious storms all night, then later in the week, temps will fall into the upper 20's! This is turning into the coldest spring we've ever had. What's bad is that some of the flowering trees have started to bloom. This happened last year, or the year before too, the new growth and blooms turned black. Very sad.

All of the plant places are empty outside, not wanting to lose the young plants. :frown:

• #1,112
My tulips (which haven't flowered yet) got buried today under 14" of snow! What happened? Sunday and Monday it was in the 60s. Today it was 20F at noon, heading towards 10 tonight. :cry:

• #1,113
We hit 5 degrees this morning! It was 70 degrees on Monday, we had a blizzard warning yesterday, and 5 degrees this morning.

Except the blizzard didn't leave much snow. The winds were so strong that I think the snow was in Kansas by time it reached the ground!

But that was interesting in itself. After such a dry winter, the wind was blowing sand. So instead of having snow drifts, we have sand dunes all over the place. That seems a little ominous - especially considering we're already on water restrictions. Not going to be a good summer for the lawns!

How strong was the wind? In the building I work in, there was sand on anything below an air vent. I've never seen the sand blow into the building through the air vents before.

• #1,114
I saw Colorado was getting hit hard. They've gone so far as to predict snow tonight, I don't think so.

• #1,115
They're predicting snow again tomorrow. Snow. It's almost May. This isn't New England :bugeye: I moved here in 1993 and we've never had such a cold spring. I'm still running the heater, and I keep it ~60-65F inside.

• #1,116
Unreal, it's supposed to get up to 80F tomorrow, but back to 39F as a high Thursday!

• #1,117
Evo said:
Unreal, it's supposed to get up to 80F tomorrow, but back to 39F as a high Thursday!
We've had similar weather last week, and we're not New England, but we're close.

• #1,118
Evo said:
Your weather is my weather but one day later (and one degree warmer)!

• #1,119
0 C = 32 F right now. We just got back from Tim Hortons (coffee shop), where we drank tea (me), coffee (wife), and lemonade (daughter) while we watched the snowflakes fly and swirl.

• #1,120
George Jones said:
0 C = 32 F right now. We just got back from Tim Hortons (coffee shop), where we drank tea (me), coffee (wife), and lemonade (daughter) while we watched the snowflakes fly and swirl.
Snow? I saw plants at the store the other day, they looked so bad, they're warm weather plants and the cold has made them look so sick that it's doubtful the poor things will sell.

(I love Tim Horton's coffee).